Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
humidity levels - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: humidity levels (/Thread-humidity-levels)

humidity levels - cellikbhoy - 03-02-2014

Hi All, can anyone tell me how humidity works on the machine in relation to the humidity in the room/outside. how do you know what # to put the machine on?. I am finding I get water droplets in my mask when I sleep for a few hours. I normally have the machine on #5(highest)
Thanks Jamie

RE: humidity levels - zonk - 03-02-2014

Not uncommon to find some moisture in the pillows from your own breath
Warming the room and hose cosy for the short hose may helps
Pilairo short hose [Image: 3ff54926-5b9e-4947-9760-6721b5a02e11]

Water in the hose (rainout) something else, you would hear water gurgling in the hose
For that, you can place machine below bed, turn down humidity level and get a hose cover

RE: humidity levels - SnuffySleeper - 03-02-2014

I have only been doing this for a bit, but with humidity I set it on 3 and am happy. I only have the normal slimline hose and the only time I have seen moisture in my nasal pillows is when I had the humidity set over 4.

I am sure this is all personal preference and I prefer to breath colder air (slimline hose) as warmer air adds to my congestion and dryer air (just moist enough so my airway doesn't dry out setting at 3 on my h5i) and have been very happy with the results.

RE: humidity levels - Doc J - 03-02-2014

I think it's just a comfort thing, when the air is really dry you might want more or less when the room air is more humid. I set mine on 3 and don't go through all that much water. I do have a wrap on the main hose as I have fairly cold room temp. If it's not drying your nasal passages out you could back it off some, just trial and error. Good luck.

RE: humidity levels - Peter_C - 03-02-2014

Using myself for an example - I set mine just below where I'd get 'rain-out', as it helps my nose stay clear. Whereas y wife has decided that she doesn't even like any humidity, and took her chamber completely off.

It is bout what is comfortable to you. And, in time you will notice that you may need to change the setting from time to time as the room's humidity may change seasonally.

RE: humidity levels - Bama Rambler - 03-02-2014

Do you have the heated tube option?

If so then you need to play with two settings. I added the heated tube option after I got the machine. However, I started out like most people with the knob set on 3 and have played with it until I figured out the I needed it set on 2. I went all the way from zero to 5 until I found what worked for my particular situation. After I found that the non-heated tube wasn't optimal, I added the heated tube option and now have the humidifier temp set on 2 and the Humidity level set on 2. I'm not having dry mouth or rainout. As a note, we sleep with our bedroom pretty cold.

If you don't have the heated tube option then you may need to look at a hose cozy or try turning the setting down to 3 or so and hanging the hose above your head.

RE: humidity levels - cellikbhoy - 03-03-2014

Thanks all for your reply's. I just wondered if there was a formula for humidity levels. Guess I will just play around with it. I have experienced gurgle( when traveling) and realized my machine was too high above the bed. Funny when I first got the machine I could sleep 7-8 straight with it on, now I struggle with 4. I will read more into this..

Regards...Jamie

Sleep-well