Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How long do mask cushions last? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How long do mask cushions last? (/Thread-How-long-do-mask-cushions-last)

Pages: 1 2 3

How long do mask cushions last? - Eleong2 - 03-07-2014

I am currently using a Resmed Activa LT nasal mask and was wondering how many nights I can expect before needing cushion replacement. The one I am using now has about 5 weeks of use. The silicone seems softer than when new and starting to have a cloudy look but the leak rate is about the same as when new. I am fairly new with CPAP and would like to hear the experiences of others. Thank you

Ed

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - zonk - 03-07-2014

I use Activa LT too, mine last about 3 months, a bit longer if money is tight. As you observed the cushion get a bit cloudy but have no effect on its performance. I have a spare cushion on the bedside table so I can change it during the night whenever get up to pee as it get too oily

If you have insurance, probably you can get 2 cushion replacements per months

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - Eleong2 - 03-07-2014

(03-07-2014, 04:48 PM)zonk Wrote: I use Activa LT too, mine last about 3 months, a bit longer if money is tight. As you observed the cushion get a bit cloudy but have no effect on its performance. I have a spare cushion on the bedside table so I can change it during the night whenever get up to pee as it get too oily

If you have insurance, probably you can get 2 cushion replacements per months

Hi Zonk,

Thanks for the info, my insurance allows for a new mask every 6 months and I am not eligible for a new one for a couple of more months. Bought the LT on my own to try out and it works real well for me. So I was curious how long I could stretch it until my insurance will cover. I bought a spare cushion just in case I would need it though.

Ed

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - justMongo - 03-07-2014

(03-07-2014, 05:04 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: Hi Zonk,

Thanks for the info, my insurance allows for a new mask every 6 months and I am not eligible for a new one for a couple of more months. Bought the LT on my own to try out and it works real well for me. So I was curious how long I could stretch it until my insurance will cover. I bought a spare cushion just in case I would need it though.

Ed
Most insurance allows cushion replacement more frequently than a new mask. I think US Medicare allows one per month.

For us guys, beard stubble tends to shred a mask cushion. So, mine a pretty bad in a month.

(03-07-2014, 05:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 05:04 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: Hi Zonk,

Ed
Most insurance allows cushion replacement more frequently than a new mask. I think US Medicare allows one per month.

For us guys, beard stubble tends to shred a mask cushion. So, mine a pretty bad in a month.

Hi justMongo,

I am not on Medicare yet, but my insurance allows 2 cushions a month and a new mask every 6 months. I am surprised that my cushion is shredded by now. I clean shave everyday, but my 5 o'clock stubbles are like needles.
Ed

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - Gabby - 03-07-2014

That's one thing I don't envy you guys, having to shave every day. I suppose it just becomes like cleaning your teeth?
I wondered if our bearded friends have anymore trouble with leaks than us clean shaven people do?

Eleong2, good question as I am new and was wondering how often I should change my ResMed Swift FX Nano cushions. I was thinking once the leaks were getting uncontrollable maybe?

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - trish6hundred - 03-07-2014

Hi Eleong2,
What you could do when you clean your mask, is to gently scrub your cushion with a dishrag and that keeps it a bit tacky so it will stay in place when you use it. It also helps to get any access oils off of it.
Hope this helps you.

(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Eleong2,
What you could do when you clean your mask, is to gently scrub your cushion with a dishrag and that keeps it a bit tacky so it will stay in place when you use it. It also helps to get any access oils off of it.
Hope this helps you.

Hi trish6hundred,
I have been making the effort every morning, so far, before going to work to clean the cushion with mild detergent. After reading some of the horror stories of not cleaning regularly, I plan to maintain my cleaning routine. I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning when I clean the cushion. I do notice that the cushion is not as tacky as when I first got it. Thanks
Ed

(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)Gabby Wrote: That's one thing I don't envy you guys, having to shave every day. I suppose it just becomes like cleaning your teeth?
I wondered if our bearded friends have anymore trouble with leaks than us clean shaven people do?

Eleong2, good question as I am new and was wondering how often I should change my ResMed Swift FX Nano cushions. I was thinking once the leaks were getting uncontrollable maybe?

Hi Gabby,
Since being Asian my beard is fairly sparse, but what I do have is a pain. I hate shaving, and your right it does becomes a routine in the morning. With the stubble that I have in the evening the mask still seats pretty well the leak level is low. When I was in the military (Navy), the guys with beards used grease to help when they had to use emergency breathing devices masks. I wonder, as you, how these CPAP types of masks seal with their full beards?

Ed

RE: How long do mask cushions last? - Gabby - 03-07-2014

(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Eleong2,
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Trish, I am going to use your information.