Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 (/Thread-forgot-to-lock-sd-card-on-windows-8)

Pages: 1 2 3

forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - 3porpoise - 03-09-2014

So forgot to lock the sd card this am. Downloaded data (windows 8)Put card back in the S9 and it said ,Are you Sure? You want to erase all data? Yes/ No I clicked no and it said please remove card. So I did . Thinking oh crap I've read about this on the forum.....
A friend using linux found a hidden directory called "system volume information "that had just been added and deleted it .I placed the card back in the S9 and plugged it in and it seemed like a long time it said reading the card....
So with the help from this board and my friend , trust all is well.
Thanks,

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - justMongo - 03-09-2014

Maybe.

System Volume Information is a hidden file unique to the NTFS file system.
By deleting it, likely your machine thought the card needed to be reformat; so that's why it seemed to take so long.

I think, but am not certain, that just permitting the machine to delete the data on the card, it would have had the same effect. The data is stored in the machine's internal memory; and the data card is just a means of reading it out. Has anyone tried just letting the machine "delete the data" on the card?

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - herbm - 03-09-2014

For 37 days, I have moved an unlocked card back and forth from Win 8.1 with no ill effects.

The cards are formatted Fat32, not NTFS.

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - 3porpoise - 03-09-2014

Thanks Mongo,think thread titled" Resmed erases SD card data "from 1/21/14 talked about deleting it on machine ,so I'm hoping the way we did it prevented loss of data cause the "are you sure ?" message didn't appear again and no other indications . Guess I'll really only find out next download?

(03-09-2014, 03:57 PM)herbm Wrote: For 37 days, I have moved an unlocked card back and forth from Win 8.1 with no ill effects.

The cards are formatted Fat32, not NTFS.

I have seen cards formatted NTFS -- my Logitech Cameras use micro SD cards in NTFS.

However, I see that System Volume Information appears to be involved with the system Restore function in Windows.

Here is a link to a discussion on how to prevent the creation of System Volume Information on an external drive in Windows 8.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-to-prevent-the-creation-of-system-volume/4ae85ea6-7c3f-4036-8582-94d0080a36fb

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - herbm - 03-09-2014

Sure, you CAN format an SD Card with NTFS, but the one for ResMed is Fat32.

And the vast majority ship that way.

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - MAPnea - 03-09-2014

Yesterday morning - for the first time in a long time - I forgot to "lock" my ResMed SD card before downloading to Sleepyhead on my Windows 8.1 PC (Piece of Crap). When I realized what I did I was … disgusted (to say the least) with myself. So.. I re-inserted the card into my ResMed AutoSet 9S and let the card "erase" all data. This morning, all data was there and I remembered to "lock" the SD card before downloading last night's data.

My advice is to simply let ResMed "erase" all the data because it seems to "remember" the data and all is well after that. At least that was my experience. Hope this helps.

(03-09-2014, 10:58 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Yesterday morning - for the first time in a long time - I forgot to "lock" my ResMed SD card before downloading to Sleepyhead on my Windows 8.1 PC (Piece of Crap). When I realized what I did I was … disgusted (to say the least) with myself. So.. I re-inserted the card into my ResMed AutoSet 9S and let the card "erase" all data. This morning, all data was there and I remembered to "lock" the SD card before downloading last night's data.

My advice is to simply let ResMed "erase" all the data because it seems to "remember" the data and all is well after that. At least that was my experience. Hope this helps.

I think that's the answer. Windows 8.1 puts that file associated with system restore on the SD card if the write lock tab is not on. Prior versions of windows do not do that to an SD card (XP does do it to an external hard drive.)

The data is still resident in the xPAP machine; and letting the xPAP machine "erase" the card is OK to do.

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - herbm - 03-10-2014

There are no files being written (automatically) by Windows 8.1.

I never lock my card and just checked for files, including hidden files.

There are no extra directories.

It is possible that "Windows Explorer" is doing some of this, but I never look at the card with Windows Explorer (only the command line, Disk Management, and the programs SleepyHead and Rescan.)

I am not going to test the "Windows Explorer" possibility since that MAY explain why some people have trouble.

Notice that Explorer uses the recycle bin (for instance) while the command line does not.

RE: forgot to lock sd card on windows 8 - retired_guy - 03-10-2014

(03-09-2014, 11:22 PM)justMongo Wrote: My advice is to simply let ResMed "erase" all the data because it seems to "remember" the data and all is well after that. At least that was my experience. Hope this helps.

(03-10-2014, 09:52 AM)herbm Wrote: There are no files being written (automatically) by Windows 8.1.

I never lock my card and just checked for files, including hidden files.

There are no extra directories.

It is possible that "Windows Explorer" is doing some of this, but I never look at the card with Windows Explorer (only the command line, Disk Management, and the programs SleepyHead and Rescan.)

I am not going to test the "Windows Explorer" possibility since that MAY explain why some people have trouble.

Notice that Explorer uses the recycle bin (for instance) while the command line does not.

justMongo is correct that it is fine to let the Resmed erase the data. It still keeps all the important stuff and will put it back on the card. The only thing you will lose is the most recent few days of detailed data. That is available to you on the computer if you need it. But try to remember to lock the card before you let Windows 8 have it's way with it. That way the last few days of detailed stuff will be there if/when you take it to visit with your sleep doc.

Herbm, how do you connect to the computer? Direct through a sdcard slot or usb adapter? Or via a camera sort of thing? I ask because I can tell you flat out that on my version of Windows 8.1, all I have to do is plug the sdcard into the computer, remove it (in the appropriate way), and put it back into the Resmed. It is not necessary to run any program to screw it up. Windows 8.1 is perfectly suited to do that on it's own.