Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Side Sleeping - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Side Sleeping (/Thread-Side-Sleeping)

Pages: 1 2

Side Sleeping - me50 - 03-09-2014

I have always been a side sleeper. Now, for some reason, I can't go to sleep when I try and sleep on my side. I can stay on my side for a long time and never fall asleep and then I get on my back and am asleep fast.

Any suggestions on why I can't go to sleep on my side or what to do about it? Has anyone else had this happen?

As I said, it has always been my favorite way to sleep is on my right side and I want to sleep that way again.

RE: Side Sleeping - Sleepster - 03-09-2014

I'm a side-sleeper, too. I found it hard to do with my nasal mask. I got the Papillow, which helped, but switching to a nasal pillows mask was what finally allowed me to sleep on my side comfortably.

RE: Side Sleeping - me50 - 03-09-2014

I'm not uncomfortable I just can't go to sleep. my mask and hose doesn't seem to bother me when I'm laying on my side. you make a good suggestions. Thanks

RE: Side Sleeping - PaulaO2 - 03-09-2014

Several things to consider.

Age of mattress.
Age of bed pillow.
Ambient temperature
Other factors such as hip pain or discomfort that you are not aware of.

I am hyperflexible. For a while, whenever I laid on my right side, I would wake the next morning with a crap in my right calf and that ankle and hip would be unstable most of the day I couldn't figure out why. So I did a "body check" one day. Got in my jammies and laid down like usual then went from head to toe, checking positioning. My right hip wasn't in the right position but I couldn't figure out why until I got to my feet. My right ankle was very comfortable but was twisted so that the top of the foot was on the mattress. I did not have to move my big toe to touch it. I rolled over and while the left foot twisted as well, it didn't go nearly as far. I queried a few friends and going by the looks on their faces, I deduced that "normal" people's feet don't go that way. So now, if I know I will be sleeping on my right side, I put on a lightweight ankle brace. It won't keep it from turning all the way but it makes it uncomfortable when I do so I don't.

So my suggestion is to see what has changed. If nothing has, then it's just the way things are. Sometimes our body just decides it doesn't want to sleep that way any more.

RE: Side Sleeping - Peter_C - 03-09-2014

Adding too this - I normally sleep 'most of the time' on my right side. None of my headgear is part of the issue, and I am using the same pillow, which was new 4-5yrs ago. All of a sudden (well, last 4-5 weeks), I have a sore spot on my right ear, where it appears to be bending during the night as I will randomly wake up with my right ear throbbing (was bent over on itself,against the pillow) - so I've been careful to make sure my ear is lying flat, and there are no creases in the pillowcase - laundry soap has not been changed, or anything else I can think of - but now the ear is actually bloody - today I've started putting the laniolin stuff on it, and will go to sleep on my left side - but will end up on my right.

Makes me wonder if I need to wear the cone of shame - like my dogs get when they won't leave a wound alone???

RE: Side Sleeping - justMongo - 03-09-2014

Although not best for my OSA, I start my sleep ritual on my back with mask, oximeter, and over-the-ear headphones on -- no pillow.
About an hour after I fall asleep I awake briefly, slip off the headphones, and roll onto my left side with a pillow.
Then I sleep in that position until wake up time.

RE: Side Sleeping - me50 - 03-10-2014

(03-09-2014, 09:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Several things to consider.

Age of mattress.
Age of bed pillow.
Ambient temperature
Other factors such as hip pain or discomfort that you are not aware of.

Age of mattress is pretty old but doesn't have any sagging, etc. (Good thought but in my mind, I can't see where the age of the mattress would affect not being able to fall asleep on my side when sleeping on the same area of the mattress, I can immediately fall asleep on my back).

Pillows, sheets, mattress cover, etc. were all just purchased in December 2013.

Temperature is kept low during the night. Not sure I understand how this would affect falling asleep on my back vs not falling asleep on my side.

No pain while laying on my side that I am aware of so not sure how to correct this. I do keep my legs elevated at night (not that a doc told me to).

The only solution that I can think of is to try a sleep aid and see if that helps me fall asleep on my side like I do on my back.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

RE: Side Sleeping - Lukie - 03-10-2014

Do you have any problems with gastric reflux? Usually that will affect right sided sleeping. Shoulder issues? I sometimes take some Tums or other antacid if I feel any stomach discomfort.

RE: Side Sleeping - me50 - 03-10-2014

(03-10-2014, 06:50 AM)Lukie Wrote: Do you have any problems with gastric reflux? Usually that will affect right sided sleeping. Shoulder issues? I sometimes take some Tums or other antacid if I feel any stomach discomfort.

the only issue I have is that when I'm on my side I can't fall asleep no acid reflux shoulder pain neck pain in hip pain foot pain I just can't go to sleep I lay there and lay there and lay there and the minute I turn on my back I am mediately fall asleep that's a good thought though

RE: Side Sleeping - PaulaO2 - 03-10-2014

(03-10-2014, 03:14 AM)me50 Wrote: Age of mattress is pretty old but doesn't have any sagging, etc. (Good thought but in my mind, I can't see where the age of the mattress would affect not being able to fall asleep on my side when sleeping on the same area of the mattress, I can immediately fall asleep on my back).

Pillows, sheets, mattress cover, etc. were all just purchased in December 2013.

Temperature is kept low during the night. Not sure I understand how this would affect falling asleep on my back vs not falling asleep on my side.

No pain while laying on my side that I am aware of so not sure how to correct this. I do keep my legs elevated at night (not that a doc told me to).

The only solution that I can think of is to try a sleep aid and see if that helps me fall asleep on my side like I do on my back.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It all makes a big difference. If you always sleep on your side, then that part of the mattress has given out and you are uncomfortable although you may not know it. You lay on your back, boom, you're comfortable, and to zzzz land you go.

Any difference in our normal routine can make a different routine look and feel better (or worse).

How the mind works in preparation for sleep is amazing and is a science unto itself.

Have you tried to sleep on the other side vs your back?