Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks (/Thread-Afib-and-Cpap-and-panic-attacks)

Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - Marnid2014 - 03-20-2014

So yesterday I began to have flutters in my heart, I had some pressure in my head, my blood pressure went up and then I felt like the pacer was firing. Well, I managed to work myself into a situation and went to the ER. When I got there, nothing was showing. They sent me home and I saw the Medtronic guy this morning. The pacemaker showed nothing ever happened, the read out was perfect, and what I had perceived was a panic attack. My Cardiologist, said, this is very common and with a little time, it will stop as I realize that my heart is not going to do that really long pause I had in the hospital after my Afib conversion on my own, that is what the pacer is for. I did not know that they can read out any events that happen, it's like a constant EKG, they can see if there are events and that is the purpose of the checks and downloads. They are going to put in a in home unit that I can upload my pacer readings to. I feell SO MUCH BETTER. I have always had panic disorder, that is what I was feeling rather than Afib. They told me to Meditate it will do wonders I am going to begin doing that. They put me on Xanax for awhile until my confidence is up. My pacemaker has only been in for 2 day's and I am still getting used to the feelings associated with it, which truly are nothing, but I was imagining all this. I am so much better now after talking to them. Onward and upward AND thank you for this board, I am so happy you are all here. Doc said, that I am really young and otherwise healthy and "go and play and have fun" LOL. I just have to wait until I can return to normal activities such as raising my arm after the site heals. My cpap will help me a lot with the Afib since I am not struggling to breathe. This is all so new and so much to take in, but I think I am in a better frame of mind now.

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - Peter_C - 03-20-2014

It can be tough.

My long-time doc who knows how anal and OCD I am, talks about how I stress over stuff way too much, and believes I have some type of anxiety disorder. However, it did turn out that sometime in my past I had a 'major heart event', AND, I self by-passed an artery as well.

When I started having swallowing issues, his first thought was anxiety again, til I flunked my 'cookie test'...

It's like the old question? Are you being paranoid if people really 'are' watching you?

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - trish6hundred - 03-20-2014

Hi Marnid2014,
You have a GREAT attitude and that will go along way toward your healing and wellness.
Keep up the good work and keep posting.

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - MAPnea - 03-20-2014

Hi, Marnid2014,

I, too, have occasional "anxiety" attacks and have a "take as needed" prescription for Ativan. However, since being on CPAP and feeling like "someone else" is taking care of my breathing at night, I rarely take any. Should have taken one over Thanksgiving - bet my last "episode" of A-Fib would not have happened.

Your attitude, intelligence and humor are spectacular! You are going to be sooo healthy and relaxed and happy. Next thing you know you'll be reassuring and helping others get through what you've gotten through.

Best of all wishes!! And keep us posted.

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - Marnid2014 - 03-20-2014

Awe, thanks everyone. I know that it will all be good in the end, I am getting first rate care. The doctor even ordered a monitoring station for me for about a month. Takes my weight BP, oxygen and transmits to the doctor. Then with the phone connected to the pacemaker calling that in as well, I will be well monitored until they see that all is where it should be. Kind of like having a doctor 24/7. Yea, now I know that I will be followed and not have this anxiety but will stay on the Xanax for awhile. Today, I am cleaning the house, moving about and all is well. I hope I can help others as well, with this, I know it will take a bit to keep my confidence up, but the IMPORTANT thing was my doctor telling me, the REASON I put the pacer in was to stop the pauses in your heart, trust it and you will live to be 100. Afib in itself is not bad, it's the blood clots and the Coumadin will take care of that and the cpap will keep me breathing right. Yea!!!!Thanks

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - Peter_C - 03-20-2014

FYI - my mother in-law had a pace-maker for 20+ years before she passed of COPD issues. As my heart Doc put it, simply by being under a heart Drs care, your odds go up a fair bit - think about all the 'healthy' guys that just suddenly drop dead of a massive attach one day. Granted, at one point I was having weekly APPTs (not good) - longer the time between appts, the better you are doin.

RE: Afib and Cpap and panic attacks - me50 - 03-20-2014

(03-20-2014, 01:36 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: So yesterday I began to have flutters in my heart, I had some pressure in my head, my blood pressure went up and then I felt like the pacer was firing. Well, I managed to work myself into a situation and went to the ER. When I got there, nothing was showing. They sent me home and I saw the Medtronic guy this morning. The pacemaker showed nothing ever happened, the read out was perfect, and what I had perceived was a panic attack. My Cardiologist, said, this is very common and with a little time, it will stop as I realize that my heart is not going to do that really long pause I had in the hospital after my Afib conversion on my own, that is what the pacer is for. I did not know that they can read out any events that happen, it's like a constant EKG, they can see if there are events and that is the purpose of the checks and downloads. They are going to put in a in home unit that I can upload my pacer readings to. I feell SO MUCH BETTER. I have always had panic disorder, that is what I was feeling rather than Afib. They told me to Meditate it will do wonders I am going to begin doing that. They put me on Xanax for awhile until my confidence is up. My pacemaker has only been in for 2 day's and I am still getting used to the feelings associated with it, which truly are nothing, but I was imagining all this. I am so much better now after talking to them. Onward and upward AND thank you for this board, I am so happy you are all here. Doc said, that I am really young and otherwise healthy and "go and play and have fun" LOL. I just have to wait until I can return to normal activities such as raising my arm after the site heals. My cpap will help me a lot with the Afib since I am not struggling to breathe. This is all so new and so much to take in, but I think I am in a better frame of mind now.

medtronics is a great company and they make great pacemakers.