Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP Setting verification - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP Setting verification (/Thread-CPAP-Setting-verification)

CPAP Setting verification - smessina54 - 03-22-2014

I just purchased a used ResMed EscapeII to use for travel and I do know how to get into the settings. I just changed the CPAP setting to 12 which is my recommended level.

The other settings on the machine are

EPR Full time
Calibrate 1.08
Start Cpap 4.0
Max Ranp 20min
Ramp Off
EPR Inhale Med
EPR Access OFF
EPR Level 3
EPR Full Time

The machine I use at home is a ReMstaPro M Series and the settings do not have the same catagories. Do I need to change any of the other settings on the unit besides the level of CPAP?

RE: CPAP Setting verification - trish6hundred - 03-22-2014

Hi smessina54,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone will be along to help you with your settings.

RE: CPAP Setting verification - smessina54 - 03-22-2014

Thank You !!!! no problem

RE: CPAP Setting verification - retired_guy - 03-22-2014

If I understand this properly, it says you want to start with a pressure of 4 and ramp up to a max of 12 in 20 minutes. But then it says "Ramp off." So I think that means you will just start at 12 period. The ramp is a feature I like, but starting at 4 was too low for me in that I didn't think I was getting enough air. Right now it's set to start at 7 which seems about right.

p.s., I don't know about the EPR stuff because I don't use it, but someone else will!

RE: CPAP Setting verification - robysue - 03-22-2014

smessina54,

(03-22-2014, 09:22 AM)smessina54 Wrote: The other settings on the machine are

Calibrate 1.08 I really don't have any idea on what this one is

Next come the RAMP settings
Start Cpap 4.0
Max Ranp 20min
Ramp Off
If the ramp was turned ON, the starting ramp pressure would b 4cm and you (as the patient) would be able to change how long the ramp period is using the paitent's set up menus. You would be able to select a ramp time of 0, 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes. But RAMP is turned OFF and so the starting pressure is the full 12cm you've set the machine to.

Next come the EPR settings. EPR is sort of like C-Flex+ on the PR, but not exactly. More on this later
EPR Inhale Med
EPR Access OFF
EPR Level 3
EPR Full Time
EPR has been set to run Full Time, which means that if the machine is ON, then EPR is ON. Since EPR Access is OFF, that means you (as a patient) cannot change any of the EPR settings from the patient setup menus. I would recommend changing EPR Access from OFF to PATIENT or ON (I can't remember which is the other option) so that you can play with EPR without having to get into the clinical menu.

EPR Level 3 means that on exhalation, the machine will drop the pressure by 3cm. So during your exhalations, the pressure will drop to 9cm (12-3). This drop will occur on every single exhalation, all night long. EPR Inhale Med controls when and how fast the machine increases the pressure back up to the full 12 cm. When EPR Inhale is set to Med, that means that the ResMed "Easy Breathe Pressure Wave" is used for changing the pressures between 9 and 12 cm during the breath cycle.

EPR and the Easy Breathe Pressure Wave work together to form an exhalation relief system on the S9; the exhalation relief system on your M-series is most likely either C-Flex or C-Flex+. EPR + Easy Breathe works is differently than C-Flex and C-Flex+ do.

On the Resmed, EPR + Easy Breathe starts lowering the pressure down from 12 towards 9 cm during the last part of the inhalation. The pressure should bottom out at 9 cm during the most intense part of the exhalation, and once the rate you are exhaling starts to slow down, the machine starts to very gradually increase pressure; when it detects an inhalation, it then rather rapidly increases the pressure back up to the full 12 cm so that during the most intense part of the inhalation, you have the full 12 cm of pressure.

On the Flex system used by PR, the amount of pressure relief is variable---it depends on how strongly you are exhaling. The more forceful the exhale, the bigger the drop in pressure. C-Flex raises the pressure all the way back up to the full setting during the second half of the exhalation; C-Flex+ raises the pressure part way during the second half of the exhalation and the rest of the way once the inhalation is detected.

If you do NOT use Flex on your PR M-Series machine, I would suggest turning EPR OFF on the Resmed. That way you won't be trying to adjust to a very different and changing pressure pattern. If you use Flex on your M-Series machine, you'll need to play around with the EPR settings to find one you like.[/color]

As for the ramp settings: If you use the ramp on your M-series, then I'd turn the Ramp ON on the S9 and set it up where the beginning pressure and the ramp time are the same. If you don't use the ramp on your M-Series, I'd leave the Ramp turned OFF.

RE: CPAP Setting verification - smessina54 - 03-22-2014

I can not ask for a more informative response then what was offered. Thank you very much for your help it is appreciated. !!!!