Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex (/Thread-EPR-C-Flex-and-SmartFlex)

EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - wmanasco - 04-14-2014

Hi! New to the Board and have a question about pressure relief. I have a DeVilbiss Intellipap dv54 Autoadjust that I keep up north at a cabin. When I am up there, I sleep great with very seldom wake-ups during the night. The unit I have had down here was a REMstar Plus C-flex. I never slept well with it and usually didn't get past 5 hours without ripping it off my head since it woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep with it on. After comparing everything (all settings, masks, tubes, etc. were the same) I found that the only variable was the pressure relief. The DeVilbiss gave great relief on exhale and the REMstar was almost non-existent. The settings on both machines were at the max. The service center believed that the latter was not working correctly and replaced it with a ResMed S9 AutoSet. But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar. Does anyone know if there is a setting that might be missed that would provide more relief on the exhale? Thanks in advance for any help!

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - justMongo - 04-14-2014

ResMed S9 has the PS setting; and I think it's limited to 3 cm-H2O.
For greater expiratory relief a bipap (bi-level) machine can provide a greater ERP.
Such as the S9 VPAP Auto. (VPAP is ResMed's trade name for Bilevel)

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - Sleepster - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 01:14 PM)wmanasco Wrote: But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar.

It seems as though there's some variable other than pressure relief that's causing this difference in the amount of sleep you get.

Are you using the same mask in both cases? Same amount of humidification?

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - trish6hundred - 04-14-2014

Hi wmanasco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - wmanasco - 04-14-2014

All settings are the same for the units. The tubing is the same, the pillow is the same. The only thing that seems to be out of synch is the amount of relief I get at the exhale.

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - zonk - 04-14-2014

SmartFlex works more like ResMed EPR than Respironcis C-Flex
Read more http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/products/sleep-therapy/comfort-technologies/smartflex

RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex - mjbearit - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 01:14 PM)wmanasco Wrote: Hi! New to the Board and have a question about pressure relief. I have a DeVilbiss Intellipap dv54 Autoadjust that I keep up north at a cabin. When I am up there, I sleep great with very seldom wake-ups during the night. The unit I have had down here was a REMstar Plus C-flex. I never slept well with it and usually didn't get past 5 hours without ripping it off my head since it woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep with it on. After comparing everything (all settings, masks, tubes, etc. were the same) I found that the only variable was the pressure relief. The DeVilbiss gave great relief on exhale and the REMstar was almost non-existent. The settings on both machines were at the max. The service center believed that the latter was not working correctly and replaced it with a ResMed S9 AutoSet. But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar. Does anyone know if there is a setting that might be missed that would provide more relief on the exhale? Thanks in advance for any help!

The Remstar actually has two different relief settings. One if for the CPAP (your old machine) and is called CFlex. I have not used this as I have the Remstar Auto which uses AFlex. I find the AFlex to be fantastic! I never have an issue breathing against it. Because one is for Auto and one is for Manual, they must certainly be using a completely different algorithm to provide that relief. It seems to me like one of the main differences between your DeVilbiss and your old Remstar was the Auto part. But since you now have the Resmed Auto, maybe it is just that you are used to the DeVilbiss and your body likes the pressure relief of that machine better. Every manufacturer uses different parts and programming for their machines and some people like one thing while others prefer another. Maybe this is oversimplification, but is it possible to get hold of a second DeVilbiss just like the one at your other house?