Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What to set auto pressure high and low at? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What to set auto pressure high and low at? (/Thread-What-to-set-auto-pressure-high-and-low-at)

What to set auto pressure high and low at? - bs170 - 04-16-2014

I have a Philips Respironics system one 560P. My doctor had me do two sleep studies. The first to see if I had a problem. And the second titration study. The second study they came up with a recommended pressure of 12-13 for me to enter rem sleep. My doctor had my machine set at 12. I have been having a lot of leak problems and have been working on trying a few new masks. Also the higher pressure makes more noise and wakes my wife up.
So I wanted to try my cpap on auto to see if I can tolerate it better.
My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - PaytonA - 04-16-2014

What kind of AHI are you getting and what kind of leak rates? We would need to know that in order to give you any accurate advice.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - zonk - 04-16-2014

(04-16-2014, 08:24 PM)bs170 Wrote: My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Your guess is as good as mine. No one get right first time, you've start from somewhere, monitor the results over period of time and don,t make changes too soon. AHI below 5 is normal, below 3 is good, bellow 2 excellent, below 1 is even better

Getting leak under control is most important so you and your wife can get some sleep
Happy Wife .... Happy Life

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - bs170 - 04-16-2014

My average AHI is 2.13 now. Average leak are 43.66 and 95% total leaks are 65.00
thanks again.

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - jgjones1972 - 04-16-2014

If it were me, I'd let it run free for a couple weeks and see what pressures the machine determines are necessary...maybe something like 6 - 20. Probably be hard to get leaks under control with a range like that though - maybe adjust the mask to be leak free at 13 or 14. Leaks are probably the biggest concern at this point.

Sleep-well

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - PaulaO2 - 04-16-2014

With the leaks, I'd not recommend wide open.

Your AHI is not worth much with leaks that high. It can be a baseline but it isn't very accurate. Instead of focusing on pressure, work on getting the leaks under control.

If they are waking your wife, ask her if she can tell where the leak is coming from. Is your mouth open or is it the mask? Can she feel your face around the mask for the draft?

Don't over tighten the mask as that causes more leaks than it fixes. Have you tried any other masks or just the one? If you've just tried the one, call your supplier and tell them about the leak issue and that you want to try another mask.

Once you get the leaks under control, then you can use the Auto function. Doing it now would not mean much.

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - Ripandsnort - 04-17-2014

I just started up my auto program and have it set at 17 high and 5 low. It has lowered my AHI to under 5. Bigwink

RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at? - robysue - 04-17-2014

(04-16-2014, 08:24 PM)bs170 Wrote: The second study they came up with a recommended pressure of 12-13 for me to enter rem sleep.
and
Quote:So I wanted to try my cpap on auto to see if I can tolerate it better.
My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
My guess is that if the min pressure is set at 6cm you're going to see a whole lot of events starting to happen because it takes time for the machine to increase the pressure from 6 cm to 12 cm.

I'd suggest setting the min pressure at 9 or 10 cm rather than 6cm. Setting the max at 13 is fine.