Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? (/Thread-Equipment-Pilario-Q-nasal-pillows-nose-irritation)

Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - snowboardjoe - 04-17-2014

I tried switching from the F&P Simplus (full mask which works for me, but it's just not quite wide enough for the corners of my mouth) to the F&P Pilario Q last night. Just using the single strap worked fine for me and grateful that I was able to keep my mouth shut while sleeping. Smile

I went to bed at 10:30pm and woke up at 2:30am with my nose really irritated. It was just painful near the openings, but not dry. I went ahead and switched back to Simplus (and changed the machine back to full mask mode) and quickly fell asleep until 6:30am. My nose was no longer irritated.

I kind of get the sense my nose hairs or the opening were just really annoyed with the new application. I do want to try it again tonight to see if I can last longer with it.

I also checked my S9 data in SleepyHead and was floored when I saw the leak results. It was practically 0 while using the nasal pillows, yet back to 4-16 when using the full mask (which is normal). Amazing to see how good a seal it makes and definitely quiet.

Anyone else run into this irritation issue with this nasal pillows or others? Does it go away over time?

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - trish6hundred - 04-17-2014

Hi snowboardjoe,
You might try some HPA Lanolin.
You can find it at most stores in the baby isle. Take a cotton swav and put a very "LITTLE," on it and swav your nostriles and see if that helps you.
Good luck and hang in there for more suggestions.

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - plasticplumber - 04-17-2014

I have had irritation with this mask and use a good smear of HPA Lanolin both in my nose and on the part of the mask which actually fits in my nose. I do find that the irritation is worse when my pressure remains low (5cm)( I use APAP mode) as the mask does not inflate correctly in my view and I can feel the mask moving in and out as I breathe which I think causes the irritation. If I have a bad night and my pressure goes up to 8cm the irritation seems non existent. I also run my humidifier on a low setting which seems better as well. Is your mask inflating fully and do you feel it moving?

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - snowboardjoe - 04-17-2014

(04-17-2014, 12:25 PM)plasticplumber Wrote: ... Is your mask inflating fully and do you feel it moving?

Did not notice the mask moving on my face or nose. Felt pretty solid there while I was using it.

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - snowboardjoe - 04-18-2014

Made good progress last night. Was able to sleep with the nasal pillows all night long with only minor irritation by morning. I think the issue was nose hairs. I trimmed them before bed and think that made a huge difference. I think the fit and comfort will improve with each day here.

I really like how well it keeps the seal even when sleeping on my side.

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - trish6hundred - 04-18-2014

(04-18-2014, 05:59 PM)snowboardjoe Wrote: Made good progress last night. Was able to sleep with the nasal pillows all night long with only minor irritation by morning. I think the issue was nose hairs. I trimmed them before bed and think that made a huge difference. I think the fit and comfort will improve with each day here.

I really like how well it keeps the seal even when sleeping on my side.
Hi snowboardjoe,
yes, trimming those troublesome nose hairs does make a difference, good goin', great to hear you made progress.

RE: Pilario Q nasal pillows nose irritation? - skram - 04-22-2014

I use the Pilairo Q. I did experience some irritation when starting out. Most days it would go away in an hour or so. I did have a couple of days that it lingered and I used some Cortaid on it.

I have been using it for over 2 months now. Most days I don't get the irritation anymore, though I will have some occasionally. It usually goes away in less than an hour.

I too found that leaks were pretty much 0 for the night, although with a couple of spikes lasting almost no time at all. It's almost silent as well, when using the diffuser filter.

I have found that occasionally there will be some noise. This is usually due to the pillow having lost its seal with the frame. This is usually due to it coming loose at the bottom. A quick push snaps it back in place. I don't know why this happens, but it occurs 2-3 times a week. I do pay close attention when assembling it, so I know its as secure as possible when I put it on.