Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help HDM Z1 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help HDM Z1 (/Thread-Help-HDM-Z1)

Help HDM Z1 - Yycamg - 05-05-2014

I followed the clinician directions for changing device pressure. After changing the device pressure, the device will not start now. Is anyone having the same problem? Had I known that changing the pressure would result in a $600 brick, I would not have changed any of my settings. I do not think the board should provide any instructions that will result in a non-functioning CPAP, this is gross mis-service. If there were a warning of some sort, then at least a person would be aware of the consequences.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - darkcat - 05-06-2014

Hi Yycamg,

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear you are having issues.

Will it do anything at all? I do see that there is a firmware update on their website released march 21 2014 for display issues. They do not state exactly what the display issue is.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - Yycamg - 05-06-2014

(05-06-2014, 01:11 AM)darkcat Wrote: Hi Yycamg,

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear you are having issues.

Will it do anything at all? I do see that there is a firmware update on their website released march 21 2014 for display issues. They do not state exactly what the display issue is.

I have installed the new update but the display is not always at full brightness when making changes. On standby regular brightness on display but does not turn on.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - SuperSleeper - 05-06-2014

(05-05-2014, 11:20 PM)Yycamg Wrote: I do not think the board should provide any instructions that will result in a non-functioning CPAP, this is gross mis-service. If there were a warning of some sort, then at least a person would be aware of the consequences.

Actually, you're the first person that I know of where a change of pressure resulted in a non-functioning machine. That shouldn't happen, and I tend to think you have a faulty machine. A change in pressure should not cause the machine to malfunction. The Clinician Manual directions we're sending out have worked fine for other members.

The new firmware upgrade & instructions are here:

http://hdmusa.com/z1-firmware-upgrade/

If that didn't work, I suggest contacting HDM directly. Supposedly the new firmware upgrade was made available to address those issues, and if it's not solving the display problem, they need to know about that. It could very well be that you simply got a bad machine, and if it's still new, your DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) should replace it free of charge as long as it's still under waranty.

Here is HDM's contact page where you can either send them an email through their online form or call them via phone:

http://hdmusa.com/support/

Let us know what they tell you.

If they can't solve the problem, contact your DME for a replacement machine. But a word of caution - many DMEs get upset when you tell them you've changed your own pressure settings - I would not tell them that you changed any pressure settings on the machine. Just tell them that it's malfunctioning.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - trish6hundred - 05-06-2014

Hi Yycamg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your machine. Best of luck to you on getting your problem solved.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - SuperSleeper - 05-06-2014

(05-05-2014, 11:20 PM)Yycamg Wrote: I do not think the board should provide any instructions that will result in a non-functioning CPAP, this is gross mis-service. If there were a warning of some sort, then at least a person would be aware of the consequences.

Actually, on the same page where you got the Clinician Manual, there is a very large warning, in all red, that reads:

Quote:DISCLAIMER & LEGAL NOTICE: BY USING THESE CPAP SETUP DIRECTIONS AND SETUP GUIDES, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE PERSONALLY ASSUMING ALL RISK FOR USING INFORMATION ON THIS WEB PAGE AND IN THESE DOCUMENTS AND WILL NOT HOLD APNEA BOARD, ITS MEMBERS, OWNERS, ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS LIABLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS, DAMAGES, PHYSICAL HARM, (INCLUDING DEATH), MENTAL HARM OR ANY OTHER HARM THAT MAY COME TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS OR ANY OTHER PERSONS WHO MAY RECEIVE THIS INFORMATION FROM YOU. YOU MAY NOT USE, COPY OR DOWNLOAD THESE DOCUMENTS UNLESS YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO DO SO UNDER ALL APPLICABLE U.S. LAWS. INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS WEB PAGE, APNEA BOARD FORUMS AND ON THE APNEABOARD.COM WEB SITE SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR ANY MEDICAL CONDITION, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN BEFORE CHANGING PRESSURE ON ANY MEDICAL DEVICE, INCLUDING CPAP MACHINES.

Here on Apnea Board, we advocate "patient empowerment", but keep in mind that when you take on a greater role in your own sleep apnea treatment, you also take on a greater risk of something going wrong. We try to educate patients here and help with as much information as possible, but we also advocate that if you don't know a lot about CPAP machines or how to adjust pressures effectively, you seek the advice of a medical professional first.

Also, if an individual machine is malfunctioning, that's hardly the fault of Apnea Board simply because we distribute the Clinician Manual for the machine. It's the fault of the CPAP manufacturer for sending out a defective machine.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - Yycamg - 05-06-2014

Thanks for the reply. When I contacted HDM they said that if I went to a doctor HDM would tell them how to re-activate the unit, so it may be possible that there something in the programming. I was hoping to avoid having to make a medical appt. which is a long wait. I will try to update again one last time.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - JohnNJ - 05-06-2014

(05-06-2014, 12:12 PM)Yycamg Wrote: ...they said that if I went to a doctor HDM would tell them how to re-activate the unit...

Reactivate the unit? Add this to the list of reasons not to buy one.

RE: Help HDM Z1 - johnnyashe - 06-02-2014

(05-06-2014, 01:14 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Reactivate the unit? Add this to the list of reasons not to buy one.
Ditto that!!!

I went through two of these units earlier this year. I even spoke with a senior HDM employee who verified how to change the settings - so they know we can and do change pressure settings (as informed cpap users should be able to).

My first unit failed completely after about 6 weeks. The second one was buggy & LOUD.

Do yourself a favor - return it, get a refund, and avoid the Z1 until they get the bugs worked out.