Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK (/Thread-Laugh-for-the-day-RESMED-FBI-STRUCK)

Pages: 1 2 3

Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - Marnid2014 - 05-27-2014

So, I got a "dressing down" from Res Med. They found out from my DME that I am "tracking" my Apnea, and they are not happy about it. They said:

You are not allowed to have this software because you do not have the knowledge to understand the readings, and this is dangerous as you might try to alter settings which can prove to be disasterous"

My Comment: I have been through this before with your tech. Had it not been for my tracking my AHI and leak rates, which by the way, someone with a 3rd grade education could read, I would have never known that my setting's were way off. I would also not know that my mask had leaks and therefore not taken the steps that I have now to fix these issues.

RESMED: Where did you get this software, it's not available on the Internet, it's illegal.

My Comment: I just did a web search and found it.

RESMED: So who do you ask to see if you are at the right settings, are you following up with your doctor?

My Comment: Of course, do I sound stupid?

RESMED: No, but it is not a good thing to even look at this information, you must be trained to understand.

My Comment: Again, a 3rd grader could figure it out. My doctor is aware and fine with it, so why are you being so antagonistic?

RESMED: Well, we just wanted to let you know this.

My Comment: Noted I also altered my P10 mask to fit using Velcro as well, and it fits now rather than free wheeling around my nose all night.

Oh, and by the way, my AHI last night was 0.2 and my leaks were Median 0 and 95% leak rate was also 12.0 I also altered my P10 mask to fit using Velcro as well, and it fits now rather than free wheeling around my nose all night.

RESMED: You could tell that from the Software?

My Comment: Duh

RESMED: Oh, and the number you touted, that means that for 95% of the night you were ABOVE 12, not below.

My Comment: I think you need to look that up, it is the OPPOSITE

RESMED: Well make sure you follow up with your DME, they will advise you.

My Comment: Of course, but I will save Medicare a ton of money by changing these settings myself WITH the blessing of my doctor.

RESMED: Cue the "crickets chirping" Silence

My Comment: Hello??????

RESMED: Ok, have a nice day.

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - SuperSleeper - 05-27-2014

Tell them:

"First of all, ResScan was downloaded from your own ResMed website."

Then wait for the 2 minutes of silence. Then tell them:

"Second of all, ResMed's own Vice President in charge of Social Media (Gil Ben Dov) [Apnea Board username: SocialGil] has posted on Apnea Board before (on our old forum, HERE) and knows that we give out the link to download the ResScan software".

Then wait for the additional 2 minutes of silence.

Then tell them:

"You do realize that one of the primary reasons your S9 products enjoy such market success is because informed patients like using their machine in conjunction with the ResScan reporting software, right? If ResMed removes that software availability, you're going to lose a substantial portion of the CPAP market share - at least for those patients who want to play an active role in their own therapy."

Then ask them:

"Did you have any further questions?"

Eat-popcorn

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - Terry - 05-27-2014

(05-27-2014, 03:19 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: "Did you have any further questions?"

Eat-popcorn

You guys are just "waaaay too diplomatic".

I would suggest saying "Did the DME pay you for my machine? Good. Thanks for calling. Click"

I would also suggest that they consider the penalties for HIPAA violations for the unauthorized disclosure of patient information and discuss it with their DME.

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - zonk - 05-27-2014

(05-27-2014, 02:56 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: RESMED: Oh, and the number you touted, that means that for 95% of the night you were ABOVE 12, not below.
This 3rd grader knows ... 95% percentile means leak was at 12 or below for 95% of the night

Thanks god for Jedimark and SleepyHead .... who needs them
They,re idiots ... they,re clueless even about their own machines
7.00 in the morning ... time to put the kettle on ... anyone for tea (sorry run out of coffee) Coffee

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - justMongo - 05-27-2014

The only possible legal ramifications are that ResScan is licensed software.
SleepyHead is open-source freeware.

That said, there is no reason to discuss anything with a DME except to ask for the supplies you need.

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - Marnid2014 - 05-27-2014

Oh, I did tell them I use open source and like it much better as well. I made my point today, I think they were kind of stunned.

I love the 95% mistake as well, this is the 2nd time I was told this by ResMed, as well as the DME. They really don't have a clue.

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - becker44a - 05-27-2014

(05-27-2014, 05:13 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: Oh, I did tell them I use open source and like it much better as well. I made my point today, I think they were kind of stunned.

I love the 95% mistake as well, this is the 2nd time I was told this by ResMed, as well as the DME. They really don't have a clue.

Hi Marnid2014,
Isn't interesting how quickly ResMed says "We only deal with DMEs" when a patient contacts them for support or a question, yet they are willing to take information they aren't authorized to have, that the DME wasn't authorized to disclose, and call you to berate you over the use of their software (which you are using with ResMed's implicit blessing)?

The combination of ignorance and arrogance is breathtaking (pun intended). The most disturbing part of this is the apparent attitude that the information gathered by the device they manufactured is somehow proprietary to THEM, and not to YOU, and how little the HIPPA regulations seem to mean either to them or your DME.

In another thread "RE: Purpose of WiFi on Resmed S9 Autoset" robysue was discussing the potential implications of the wireless adapter for the ResMed products (see posts #39 & 40, at least), and this certainly lends credence to her darker thoughts.

Regards,
A.Becker

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - herbm - 05-27-2014

I guess the fact that "Resmed people" don't understand their machine MIGHT explain why *YOU* would need extra training to understand it..... Smile

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - Marnid2014 - 05-27-2014

AND!!!!!

The DME doesn't have a clue either. Once my guy who brought a new mask said, when I asked him about changing my settings

You can't change them on your own, it's illegal. Ah, I say, I guess the Cpap police will come to my door Rolleyes

Well, no, but you need a doctors RX for it. And this software called Sleepyhead, where did you get this????

MMMM On the internet, she says to him, he looks and stares at me blankly.

Then he say's, well, you are having Apnea, so we need to jack up your pressure, you should have ZERO APNEA if it's correct, OYE

RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK - herbm - 05-27-2014

I thought you just said, "need a Dr.'s Rx"? So who is this WE you mention who will now "jack up the pressure"?