Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie - proof of test results? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie - proof of test results? (/Thread-Newbie-proof-of-test-results)

Pages: 1 2

Newbie - proof of test results? - vacman - 06-17-2014

Had test done because of snoring as well as a doctor in Austrailia said 100 percent of his gout patients had Apnea,as I had a month long gout attack, 15 breathing stoppages and 77 events? or almost stopping? he said was a moderate problem, my issue is I hope he is honest and not just gaining a customer, is there proof of the test? thanks, I go back for cpap sleep in couple weeks

RE: Newbie - retired_guy - 06-17-2014

It's not likely they would just be dreaming up test results because they want a new customer, so I'd say the odds are pretty good you have moderate sleep apnea.

I have not heard it being related to gout, but that's just because I haven't heard that. Apnea can contribute to or cause so many problems that I wouldn't be surprised if one day it's discovered to be the cause of pregnancy.

Now, you'll get the sleep test where they figure out just what pressures will be needed to control your sleep events. You can and should ask for a copy of those results. Based on those results, they will make decisions on what machine you should have. Too often they recommend a machine that will not allow you to monitor your results yourself. So you need to ask them to provide you with a machine that does provide full statistical data such as the Resmed S9 autoset, or one of the other top models/brands.

What other symptoms do you have? The more common ones are sleepiness during the day, perhaps even a tendency to doze off behind the wheel, snoring loudly, etc.

RE: Newbie - vacman - 06-17-2014

Just bad snoring and general sluggish feeling, inability to concentrate, I attributed to age 56, time will tell, see how I feel after test and then using machine nightly.

RE: Newbie - PaytonA - 06-17-2014

I do have sleep apnea and also gout. The gout was diagnosed after I had been on the CPAP for a while.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Newbie - justMongo - 06-17-2014

I've never heard of gout=apnea.
Welcome to the forum vacman. We have a few Aussies on the board who can help you navigate the National health system there.

Most anywhere in the world you are entitled to receive a copy of your sleep study. So, there's written proof of your test results somewhere; and you should ask for them.

RE: Newbie - trish6hundred - 06-17-2014

Hi vacman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you at your sleep study.

RE: Newbie - vacman - 06-17-2014

(06-17-2014, 12:18 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I do have sleep apnea and also gout. The gout was diagnosed after I had been on the CPAP for a while.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Bummer, was looking forward to relief, oh well found a natural regiment including cherry juice knocked it out quickly the other day

RE: Newbie - Tez62 - 06-17-2014

Welcome vacman, are you going public or private? Either way your doctor should give you a copy of your results, if not, ask for them. From what you are saying you do have moderate sleep apnea 15-30 episodes an hour and will need a CPAP. There are a number of ways you can go to purchase your CPAP, unfortunately in Australia we pretty much have to buy our own and our equipment whether you go private or public. Not sure about the gout but anything is possible, tart cherry juice is supposed to be a good remedy for insomnia so if it works for you well done, my father in law gets gout so will get him to try it next time he gets it, I though it was due to a build up of acid but could be wrong, anyway good luck with your next sleep study and ask any questions here anytime.

RE: Newbie - proof of test results? - Gabby - 06-17-2014

Welcome Vacman, another Aussie on board, only a handful of us but we are made to feel very welcome.
Any questions you have don't be shy, this site is a wealth of valuable information.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.

RE: Newbie - proof of test results? - retired_guy - 06-17-2014

(06-17-2014, 10:40 PM)Gabby Wrote: Welcome Vacman, another Aussie on board, only a handful of us but we are made to feel very welcome.
Any questions you have don't be shy, this site is a wealth of valuable information.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.

Yup. This place would not be the same without all you Southern Exposure folks. Isn't it amazing we can communicate so easily half way around the world? I just wish my cell phone could handle a phone call from across the street without getting goofy.

and, about buying stuff? I used to always buy my prescriptions (before I had any insurance) from some outfit near your rock. A place called Vanatu? Great service, great prices. I've also ordered quite a bit of stuff from Australia itself in the past. Don't really know about any more, but the dollar exchange used to be very attractive.

So, don't go anywhere Aussie friends. We love you all, even if you are upside down.