Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? (/Thread-Medicare-compliance-21-or-30-days)

Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - MAPnea - 07-19-2014

New DME Lady came out yesterday with a new ResMed S9 AutoSet and "we" set it up like my old ResMed S9 AutoSet. Only one difference. I'm now on CPAP mode with a pressure setting of "9". When new DME Lady leaves she says, "Return your memory card to me in this envelop on August 8th…" so she can check it for Medicare compliance (using machine at least 4 hours a day, 70% of the time).

When I did this two years ago I sent the card back to the old DME after 30 days, not 21 days. I checked online for Medicare compliance requirements and find "30 days", so I called the DME Lady back and she said, "No, it's only 21 days."

Has this requirement changed in the past two years from 30 days to 21 days? Can any verify the 21 days for Medicare compliance?

Thanks

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - retired_guy - 07-19-2014

30 days time .70 equals 21 days.

So she's figuring you'll use it the full 21 days and she can qualify you early, and get paid a little earlier.

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - PaulaO2 - 07-19-2014

I couldn't find anything except some spam sites wanting me to click their links.

Call another DME and ask them. I'm interested in how long it is now. I need to call mine on Monday and I'll ask then, too.

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - zonk - 07-19-2014

The DME lady got her facts wrong
30 days of compliance ... 4 hours per night on 70% of nights during the first 30 days = 21 days

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - MAPnea - 07-19-2014

Thanks, retired_guy, PaulaO2 and zonk,

THAT's what she's doing. She asked me if I thought I would use my CPAP every night. Well, dah? Of course. So that's why she's going to read my card after 21 days. Get paid earlier. And I'm "up" for that, too.

Big Grin

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - vsheline - 07-19-2014

From USA Medicare document dated Sept 2013:

The treating physician must perform a clinical re-evaluation after the 31st day, but before the 91st day after initiating therapy, which documents the following:
• A face-to-face clinical re-evaluation by the treating physician with documentation that symptoms of OSA are improved; and
• Objective evidence of adherence to use (defined as use of PAP devices for 4 or more hours per night on 70% of nights during a consecutive 30-day period anytime during the first 3 months of initial use) of the PAP device, reviewed by the treating physician.

http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/downloads/PAP_DocCvg_Factsheet_ICN905064.pdf

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - trish6hundred - 07-19-2014

(07-19-2014, 07:27 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Thanks, retired_guy, PaulaO2 and zonk,

THAT's what she's doing. She asked me if I thought I would use my CPAP every night. Well, dah? Of course. So that's why she's going to read my card after 21 days. Get paid earlier. And I'm "up" for that, too.

Big Grin
Hi MAPnea,
I don't blame you, the sooner she gets paid, the better it will be for you.
Glad to hear that you got an S9Autoset, I know that was a concern for you a while back, CONGRATULATIONS.

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - MAPnea - 07-19-2014

Hi, vsheline and trish6hundred,

I already have an appointment with my sleep doc toward the end of September and I have no fear that I'll qualify because the ONLY reason I wouldn't sleep with my PAP machine is when the electricity goes out or I'm so sick I just can't "get it together". That's only happened two nights in 22 months.

Yes, THANKS to everyone on this Board who encouraged me to STAND UP for myself and get exactly what I wanted. Which, of course, was the ResMed S9 AutoSet. I'm "dealing" with the old DME for a good price on my old S9 AutoSet. Would be nice to have two of them. And I love my new Nuance Pro. Next mask I'm going to try will be the ResMed AirFit F10 because I like having a "back up" full face mask.

I feel so empowered - and getting stronger - because of all the encouragement I've gotten here.

I-love-Apnea-Board

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - PaulaO2 - 07-19-2014

Glad we could help. And glad you are sticking around to pass that along to others.

RE: Medicare compliance - 21 or 30 days? - DNB128 - 07-24-2014

(07-19-2014, 10:12 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Next mask I'm going to try will be the ResMed AirFit F10 because I like having a "back up" full face mask.

I purchased an AirFit F10 a while back, and it has become my primary mask... Quattro Air is now my backup. They both use the same cushion. I switched the F10 to primary because it doesn't have the forehead arm and strap around my forehead... I feel so free without that particular headgear strap.