Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Going from 7 to 8.5 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Going from 7 to 8.5 (/Thread-Going-from-7-to-8-5)

Going from 7 to 8.5 - Cabut - 04-07-2012

New here and to OSA. Sleep doc says I have "mild sleep apnea". I have a REMstar Pro C-Flex Auto IQ. My doctor prescribed a 7 setting and I don't feel like I'm getting enough air. (See thread above). It is so uncomfortable I can't wear either the nose pillow or mask for more than an hour less sleep in either..
I figured out how to change the pressure setting and feel more comfortable at 8.5 sitting awake relaxed in bed. Is it unwise to try this setting for a few days, or should rely on the doc to make this call?

Thanks,
Cabut

RE: Going from 7 to 8.5 - PaulaO2 - 04-07-2012

Didn't you just ask this in another thread?

How long have you had the machine? Your body and brain need time to adjust to the air, the changes in sleep, the noise, the mask, etc etc. Especially since you just switched masks. Keep going with the current settings.

Like I said in the other thread, what is your ramp setting?

What is your C-flex setting?

Does C-flex care what kind of mask you are using? I don't think so but I've not used that machine.

RE: Going from 7 to 8.5 - Cabut - 04-07-2012

(04-07-2012, 12:26 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Didn't you just ask this in another thread?

How long have you had the machine? Your body and brain need time to adjust to the air, the changes in sleep, the noise, the mask, etc etc. Especially since you just switched masks. Keep going with the current settings.

Like I said in the other thread, what is your ramp setting?

What is your C-flex setting?

Does C-flex care what kind of mask you are using? I don't think so but I've not used that machine.

I had the machine 2 days. Ramp setting 45 minutes. C-Flex setting 1.
There is a setting for the tubing, but not the mask. The tech set that to 22 type tubing.
I hear what you are saying, but I feel like it is work breathing through this home setup, and during the sleep study it seemed to improve my breathing right from the get go. In fact I slept better in the study that night than I had at home for months.
Cabut

RE: Going from 7 to 8.5 - PaulaO2 - 04-07-2012

Turn off the ramp then.

Sit around with the house with the mask and air going. Get used to it and the air and the breathing and all that.

This is common. Keep working at it. And if all you can wear it is an hour a night, that's okay. Slowly increase it to longer each night.

RE: Going from 7 to 8.5 - mckevin32 - 04-08-2012

Good advice above. While many of us have changed our own pressure (cautiously and in small increments) it isn't and shouldn't be the first thing to try.

RE: Going from 7 to 8.5 - zimlich - 04-09-2012

Did you not like the answers you received the first time you posted this? Leave your settings alone- until you're using the CPAP all night, every night and given it some time you have no business changing your pressure. But since it seems you're bound and determined to change things before you've even been able to use the machine for more than an hour, I would say don't ask again and again until you get the answer you want. It's not ok without your doctors consent at this time.