Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) (/Thread-Ahi-down-to-near-0-or-0-but-swallowing-air-still-mouth-leaks-with-masking-tape)

Pages: 1 2

Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Visitor - 07-23-2014

Ok, so I reached a kind of ideal state at pressure 8 with near zero ahi's, using a P10 nasal pillows (love it), chin strap + masking tape to prevent mouth breathing.

I swallow air though as I still get air into my mouth at times (cheeks puffing), despite falling asleep fine. I noticed this a few times waking up + I get a dry mouth. The masking tape in the early hours of the morning still gets loose in places, which contributes to the issue and I get dry mouth + recently a few times uncomfortable feeling with teeth.

All in all it is probably during short intervals, but I have no way to be sure (I think).

I love the set up though, so would be very loath to switch to a full face mask. Not sure what to do. The air swallowing is a nuisance. I spent the better of the day getting rid of it and I'm concerned about dental issues in the long run (due to dry mouth). So any advice on what else I could do to make this work out? Swallow my tongue during the night?

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - PaulaO2 - 07-23-2014

You aren't getting the air from mouth breathing. You're getting it from the CPAP. It happens and should decrease with time.

There are a few things to try, though. Try raising the head of your bed. Methods are by putting something under the feet of the headboard, or under the mattress, or using an extra pillow (although this one may create more obstructive events).

If your leaks are low, I'd toss the tape. I really dislike the idea of it and do not advocate the use of it. There are dangers in using it. If you are mouth leaking that bad even with a chin strap, I would recommend another chin strap or to try one of the products called "Chin-Up Strips". It does not tape the lips themselves but rather are applied so the lips are held together better. But, like I said, if your leaks are low and below the threshold for where your machine can handle it, then toss the tape. That's not where your stomach air is coming from.

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - retired_guy - 07-23-2014

What Paula said. I just think taping your mouth shut is trouble waiting to happen. Use the chinstrap, and if you happen to have a little higher leak number then that's ok too. It just needs to be under 24 or some such as much as possible without going crazy-go-nutz.

But you are doing fantastic! Just think: it was just a very short time ago that you were just trying to master this stuff, and now you're a pro!

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Visitor - 07-24-2014

Ok. I have a better chin strap and will try that first. Thanks both Wink

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - JimZZZ - 07-25-2014

(07-23-2014, 03:24 PM)Visitor Wrote: ...so would be very loath to switch to a full face mask.
Having been down the same path as you are treading, i.e. air gushing out the mouth, aerophagia, taped lips, etc., I would caution against disregarding the possibility that a full face mask could help. After several attempts at using the nasal masks, I finally settled for a ffm and chinstrap. Although it felt a little bulky at first, I found that the absence of all the mouth issues made it worth the effort of adapting to the ffm.

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Canadian_Jesus - 07-25-2014

I use a full face mask with no problems at all. My AHI is usually below 5. What I do is I wash it after every use to get the facial oils off of it, and I shower before bed so that my face is clean also. The absence (or relative absence) of oils means that I have minimal issues with leaks with my Mirage Quattro. I have never been able to adapt to a nasal mask, so I would not be able to tell you whether or not my sleep quality is better or worse with my ffm compared to a nasal one.

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Visitor - 07-26-2014

Thanks both, I will keep ffm in mind. But so far the new chin strap seems to be doing the trick (early days of course)

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Sleepster - 07-29-2014

(07-26-2014, 10:22 AM)Visitor Wrote: Thanks both, I will keep ffm in mind. But so far the new chin strap seems to be doing the trick (early days of course)

If you continue to swallow air mention this to your doctor. I had to switch to a bi-level machine (Respironics BiPAP or ResMed VPAP are examples) to address this issue. It's the typical way to deal with aerophagia.

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - Visitor - 07-31-2014

(07-29-2014, 09:53 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 10:22 AM)Visitor Wrote: Thanks both, I will keep ffm in mind. But so far the new chin strap seems to be doing the trick (early days of course)

If you continue to swallow air mention this to your doctor. I had to switch to a bi-level machine (Respironics BiPAP or ResMed VPAP are examples) to address this issue. It's the typical way to deal with aerophagia.

Thanks Sleepster, that's good advice.

RE: Ahi down to near 0 or 0, but swallowing air + still mouth leaks (with masking tape) - twdc33 - 08-20-2014

I agree that a full face mask may be the solution to your problem. It will equalize the pressure in your mouth and nose. I had to go to a full face for the same reason and it solved the problem. However I need to tape my mouth shut ( I use the orange surgical tape) because my mouth opens and drool breaks the seal on the mask. Chin straps were no help. The full face part eliminates the effect of any air leaks in the tape.