Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Advice needed for new user - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Advice needed for new user (/Thread-Advice-needed-for-new-user)

Pages: 1 2

Advice needed for new user - doublestack1 - 07-26-2014

Good evening.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 7 years ago. I was setup with a continuous pressure cpap machine which at the time I did not tolerate well.

Well, my sleep apnea is still causing issues with fatigue, etc which led me to ask my family physician for a new Rx. Technology has changed, new masks, etc.

Since my insurance company has been less than helpful with local DME providers, I purchased a ResMed S9 Autoset with the humidifier and heated hose.

How do find out my recommended pressure setting? Will my chart from my sleep doctor (7 years ago) give me an idea? My family physician has no idea and my insurance provider has failed to provide a local service company. Is there a chart or online resource?

Thank you.

RE: Advice needed for new user - retired_guy - 07-26-2014

I would not think your results from 7 years ago would be very reliable. The best bet of course would be a new sleep study.

However, if that can't happen you do at least have the right machine to start learning about your condition yourself. First, I would download and install the Sleepyhead software (link at the top of the page) and begin to learn how to use it. Once you use your S9, you'll need to put the sdcard into your computer and look at the results.

The second thing to know is you can't make lots of changes quickly. You'll need to start with something, then stay with it for awhile before doing something else. You just can't shotgun this stuff and most people that do end up not really knowing what they have or where they're going. So an opening strategy?

The machine comes "default" setting to a minimum pressure of 4 and a maximum pressure of 20. The idea is the machine will sort you out and settle on a pressure you need. To me, that's too extreme a range and people have had difficulty with it. I believe in a more closely knit range, keeping things a little low to start with. However 4 is way too low for most people. So a range something like minimum of 6 and a maximum of 10 would seem to me to be a good place to start. Then watch your results for a few days to see where to go next, if anywhere.

I would not mess with the comfort features to begin with (EPR, Auto start, auto off, ramp...) those things can be added as you go along if it seems like the thing to do.

Once again, a sleep study would be ideal. But the good news is you bought the right machine to help you adapt to the therapy.

Keep in touch, and good luck!

RE: Advice needed for new user - trish6hundred - 07-26-2014

Hi doublestack1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your old reports should have the pressures they set you up with at your last sleep study, so that should give you an idea as to where to start, and CONGRATULATIONS on the new S9 AutoSet. Yes, technology has changed since your last machine and that's a good thing; maybe you will have better success this time.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and a better explanation of things than I gave.
Best of luck this time around with yourCPAP therapy.

RE: Advice needed for new user - Doc J - 07-26-2014

Welcome doublestack1. What did the old sleep study list as needed pressure? I would not think your needs would go down with age but who knows. If you do know the old number I would set my range above and below and see where the machine has to go when reading the info. Once you know that you can tighten it up a little and bring the lower number up so it doesn't try to drop down and cause problems. The best thing is read as many posts and info as you can so you understand what your doing. As R G said you can't get too crazy with the changes so you want to start as close as you can. It's not rocket science but do your homework and ask some of the experts on here (not necessarily me but there are experts) if you need help.

RE: Advice needed for new user - zonk - 07-26-2014

(07-26-2014, 04:43 PM)doublestack1 Wrote: How do find out my recommended pressure setting?
All explained here in details: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/how-to-find-optimum-pressure-on-cpap

S9 setup video and pictures instructions http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Clinical manual available via email from here http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual
Sleepyhead software download link is at top right of the page

I assume you,re in US, if I,m not mistaken, insurance replace machines every 5 years and might require a new sleep study

Whats the model name and setting of the old machine?
Have you been using the machine continuously for the last 7 years

RE: Advice needed for new user - doublestack1 - 07-27-2014

Yes, I am in the US.

Unfortunately, I did not tolerate the original machine 7 years ago. Basically, I am starting out as a new user.

My insurance has changed since the original sleep study. I plan on having another one within the next few weeks. I am hopeful the techs will be able to adjust my S9 during the study for optimum results. If not, I will start with the default settings using the advice from this forum.

RE: Advice needed for new user - NickDanger - 07-27-2014

Good luck, doublestack! I first tried CPAP about 10 years ago and didn't tolerate it. I've been using CPAP religiously for the last 2 to 3 years and am having very good results. The technology has improved dramatically over the last 7 years. People on this board will be able to help you adapt to the therapy.

RE: Advice needed for new user - Sleepster - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 11:25 AM)doublestack1 Wrote: I am hopeful the techs will be able to adjust my S9 during the study for optimum results. If not, I will start with the default settings using the advice from this forum.

Why were you unable to tolerate the CPAP machine?

During your original sleep study they would have done a titration, which is a determination of the minimum pressure needed to keep your airway from collapsing. Do you have any way of finding out what that pressure was by either consulting the sleep study results, the doctor's prescription, or the setting on that original machine?

Do you know if you were diagnosed with simple obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or some more complicated form of sleep disordered breathing (SDB)?

Since you've already bought the S9 Autoset and you don't know what your pressure was, you could just try using it as it is now. It will have a range of pressures, the minimum is 4 and the maximum is 20. As the machine monitors your breathing it will raise the pressure from 4 to whatever is needed to keep your airway from collapsing.

Then in the morning you can look at the sleep quality display on your machine and see how well you made out. Using software (either ResScan or SleepyHead) you can look at the data and see how high your pressure went. If necessary you can then tweak the pressure settings to a more narrow range than 4 to 20.

All of my advice assumes you have simple OSA with no other complicating health issues. It would be better if you did all this under the care of a qualified doctor.

RE: Advice needed for new user - zonk - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 11:25 AM)doublestack1 Wrote: Yes, I am in the US.

Unfortunately, I did not tolerate the original machine 7 years ago. Basically, I am starting out as a new user.

My insurance has changed since the original sleep study. I plan on having another one within the next few weeks. I am hopeful the techs will be able to adjust my S9 during the study for optimum results. If not, I will start with the default settings using the advice from this forum.
Hopefully, you stick with it and take an active role this time around
The good lord is looking after you and gave you a second chance

Best of luck

RE: Advice needed for new user - doublestack1 - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 05:48 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-27-2014, 11:25 AM)doublestack1 Wrote: I am hopeful the techs will be able to adjust my S9 during the study for optimum results. If not, I will start with the default settings using the advice from this forum.

Why were you unable to tolerate the CPAP machine?

During your original sleep study they would have done a titration, which is a determination of the minimum pressure needed to keep your airway from collapsing. Do you have any way of finding out what that pressure was by either consulting the sleep study results, the doctor's prescription, or the setting on that original machine?

Do you know if you were diagnosed with simple obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or some more complicated form of sleep disordered breathing (SDB)?

Since you've already bought the S9 Autoset and you don't know what your pressure was, you could just try using it as it is now. It will have a range of pressures, the minimum is 4 and the maximum is 20. As the machine monitors your breathing it will raise the pressure from 4 to whatever is needed to keep your airway from collapsing.

Then in the morning you can look at the sleep quality display on your machine and see how well you made out. Using software (either ResScan or SleepyHead) you can look at the data and see how high your pressure went. If necessary you can then tweak the pressure settings to a more narrow range than 4 to 20.

All of my advice assumes you have simple OSA with no other complicating health issues. It would be better if you did all this under the care of a qualified doctor.

During my sleep study 7+ years ago they never hooked me up to a CPAP. Just sent data (brain sensors, etc) to my doctor who then prescribed the CPAP. Tried it for a short time and sent it back to the service company.

I need to revisit and find the will-power to tolerate the CPAP. My mornings consist of a lingering headache, lethargic-tired feeling with no desire to start my day. Some days are better than others; however, the only consistency is my wife's complaints (snoring).

Will report back in a week. Machine should arrive Tuesday. Return from a business trip Wednesday night. Will try to set it up and wear Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Will let you know Sunday afternoon

Thank you.

Pete