Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Light Headed - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Light Headed (/Thread-Light-Headed)

Light Headed - RichardMack - 07-30-2014

I just started APAP therapy about 2 weeks ago, and have an over whelming lightheaded-ness since the beginning. My beginning AHI according to my Dr. was 76, the machine for the past few nights shows below 3. The machine is on auto 8 to 15 and I have a climateline set at 74 Deg EPR set at 2. Is it normal to feel this way, is this just a break-in period of sorts?

RE: Light Headed - trish6hundred - 07-30-2014

Hi RichardMack,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It could be that your body is trying to adjust to this new way of sleeping.
Of course, if it persists, you will want to talk to your doc about it.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Light Headed - Tez62 - 07-30-2014

Welcome RichardMack, yep it's an adjustment period, your body and brian has been starve of the oxygen and blood flow it needed for probably a long time, it now needs time to adjust. Usually people with higher AHI's take longer to adjust as they have been worse for longer. You need to look at it that that you used to stop breathing 76 times per hour for 10 secs or more and now it is 3. Most people take 3 - 6 months to adjust and really start to feel the effects. Just stick with it and good luck.

RE: Light Headed - zonk - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 05:42 PM)RichardMack Wrote: The machine is on auto 8 to 15 and I have a climateline set at 74 Deg EPR set at 2. Is it normal to feel this way, is this just a break-in period of sorts?
AHI below 5 is normal on PAP
Whats breakdown of AHI events, 95th percentile pressure and leak, and how many hours you,re using the machine each night

RE: Light Headed - justMongo - 07-30-2014

@RichardMack: Zonk is suggesting you use the available software. There is much to be learned about how your therapy is going from the software.

You have rather severe sleep apnea. Good that your now on Auto PAP

RE: Light Headed - PaytonA - 07-31-2014

(07-30-2014, 05:42 PM)RichardMack Wrote: I just started APAP therapy about 2 weeks ago, and have an over whelming lightheaded-ness since the beginning. My beginning AHI according to my Dr. was 76, the machine for the past few nights shows below 3. The machine is on auto 8 to 15 and I have a climateline set at 74 Deg EPR set at 2. Is it normal to feel this way, is this just a break-in period of sorts?

How does the lightheaded-ness present itself. Do you feel dizzy (room spinning) or does it cause a balance problem. I have had the balance problem and I have heard that some people have this after getting up from a full night of CPAP use.

The CPAP will cause a pressure increase behind the eardrums and if this does not equalize after arising in the morning can cause the balance problem (I forget what the technical/medical term for this is). If this sounds like what you are experiencing, it may go away but if it does not you should definitely discuss it with your doctor to see if he can provide a solution.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Light Headed - justMongo - 08-01-2014

(07-31-2014, 11:26 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-30-2014, 05:42 PM)RichardMack Wrote: I just started APAP therapy about 2 weeks ago, and have an over whelming lightheaded-ness since the beginning. My beginning AHI according to my Dr. was 76, the machine for the past few nights shows below 3. The machine is on auto 8 to 15 and I have a climateline set at 74 Deg EPR set at 2. Is it normal to feel this way, is this just a break-in period of sorts?

How does the lightheaded-ness present itself. Do you feel dizzy (room spinning) or does it cause a balance problem. I have had the balance problem and I have heard that some people have this after getting up from a full night of CPAP use.

The CPAP will cause a pressure increase behind the eardrums and if this does not equalize after arising in the morning can cause the balance problem (I forget what the technical/medical term for this is). If this sounds like what you are experiencing, it may go away but if it does not you should definitely discuss it with your doctor to see if he can provide a solution.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Perhaps you refer to Ménière's disease -- more of a syndrome than a disease.

I get inner ear pressure on PAP. For me, it pressurizes the inner ear; and sound volume diminishes. I think the fine inner-ear bones move away from their respective membranes. But, I'm fine as soon as the pressure is removed in the morning.

I've known people with Ménière's -- and they are absolutely disabled during an episode.

Just being light headed -- while still be spatially oriented -- is more common and usually not from inner ear equilibrium. Many conditions, medications, (even anxiety) can present with "lightheartedness." Present your symptoms to your doctor for further investigation.

RE: Light Headed - name - 08-01-2014

Do you have high blood pressure? Its common that treating sleep apnea will reduce blood pressure resulting in low blood pressure. You might need to adjust meds.