Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI question (/Thread-AHI-question--6946)

Pages: 1 2

AHI question - GrammaBear - 08-15-2014

I have the ResMed S9 Autoset machine and to be honest, I am not technically minded, so there is a lot I have to learn.

In the morning I like to check how my therapy went during the night by looking on the screen that shows the AHI information. For the last few weeks I've noticed that I seem to have more AHIs and a few centrals.

The numbers listed for last night were:

AHI 0.9
Total AI 0.8
Central AI 0.2
Leak 9L

Pressure was 14.6, although I've noticed it varies from night to night. The pressure can be anywhere from 11 - 18. I see the sleep doctor next month. It seems that the office call consists of the staff downloading information from the SD card I give them, Doctor comes in, reviews information. He says something like "I see you are 100% compliant, keep up the good work." Then he listens to my lungs and tells me to come back next year.

Since I don't understand the technical stuff, I never know what kind of questions to ask of him. He is a nice doctor and far busier than he wants to be, but he is always polite to me.

Any suggestions on things I should be asking him? I have no idea whether my therapy is going well or not. I've downloaded the Sleepyhead software from this board, but since I don't understand what I'm looking at, well.......I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks for reading my questions.

RE: AHI question - surferdude2 - 08-15-2014

CongratsWell-done Your CPAP readings are:

admirabler
amazing
astonishing
awesome
brilliant
cool
enjoyable
excellent
fabulous
fantastic
fine
incredible
marvelous
outstanding
phenomenal
pleasant
pleasing
remarkable
sensational
strange
superb

surprising
terrific
tremendous
wondrous
awe-inspiring
divine
dynamite
groovy
miraculous
peachy

prime
something else
staggering
startling
stupendous
super
swell
too much
unheard-of

Keep up the good work!

RE: AHI question - GrammaBear - 08-15-2014

Your vocabulary is awesome, you must be an English teacher. Smile

RE: AHI question - surferdude2 - 08-15-2014

Grammabear, I just hope that makes up for the young doctor that is up to his neck in work and didn't have the time to elaborate on how great your treatment is going. Your readings warrant every word of that and more (could there be such? )

All the best and Sleep-well

(08-15-2014, 11:27 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Grammabear, I just hope that makes up for the young doctor that is up to his neck in work and didn't have the time to elaborate on how great your treatment is going. Your readings warrant every word of that and more (could there be such? )

All the best and Sleep-well

Thank you for your reassurance. Like I said, my doctor is very personable, I just wish modern medicine allowed for a little extra time for doctors to spend explaining to patients a few of the things that would help reassure them.

RE: AHI question - bwexler - 08-15-2014

When you look at the Sleepyhead report Daily Detail, it will have a pie chart showing the breakdown of OA CA and Hypopneas. Then it will show the color coded key showing th same index report you see on the S9 screen.
The more detailed graphs start with the musical staff that flags each occurrence OA, CA Hypopneas, Snores and flow limitations. Yours will look like a few isolated trees. Other folks will have a forest

I will also quote what Surfie said.

RE: AHI question - retired_guy - 08-15-2014

Let's see... You live in Illinois............. Just say "Yo Doc, How 'bout dem Bears!" That'll get him to talking.

RE: AHI question - PaulaO2 - 08-15-2014

The AHI is number of events per hour for that time period.
AHI = apnea events (central and obstructive) + hypopnea divided by time slept
AI = obstructive + hypopnea events
CI = central events

AHI 0.9 <-------- you want this to be less than 5.0. I think you got that!!
Total AI 0.8 <---- this is when you stop or constricted breathing due to throat closing. it is counted into the above number.
Central AI 0.2 <---- this is when you stop breathing due to other reasons. it is also counted into the first number.
Leak 9L <----- It depends on mask but aim for below 24. If you see it rising above that, let us know and we'll help you with it.

So take an index card and put it under your CPAP machine where you can find it for reference. Put on it: AHI = less than 5, Leak = less than 24.

Anything other than that, run here and we'll help you figure it out.

Oh, and yes, your numbers of .8 and .2 should have given you an AHI of 1, not .9 but it was rounding up each line for you. .9 is most likely correct but, really, it doesn't matter 'cause it is freakin' fantastic! Congrats!

(08-15-2014, 12:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The AHI is number of events per hour for that time period.
AHI = apnea events (central and obstructive) + hypopnea divided by time slept
AI = obstructive + hypopnea events
CI = central events

AHI 0.9 <-------- you want this to be less than 5.0. I think you got that!!
Total AI 0.8 <---- this is when you stop or constricted breathing due to throat closing. it is counted into the above number.
Central AI 0.2 <---- this is when you stop breathing due to other reasons. it is also counted into the first number.
Leak 9L <----- It depends on mask but aim for below 24. If you see it rising above that, let us know and we'll help you with it.

So take an index card and put it under your CPAP machine where you can find it for reference. Put on it: AHI = less than 5, Leak = less than 24.

Anything other than that, run here and we'll help you figure it out.

Oh, and yes, your numbers of .8 and .2 should have given you an AHI of 1, not .9 but it was rounding up each line for you. .9 is most likely correct but, really, it doesn't matter 'cause it is freakin' fantastic! Congrats!

Sometimes my AHI says higher or lower numbers - mostly a little bit lower most of the time. I wondered about how the .8 and .2 added up to .9.......then I figured maybe it did round up to the nearest whole number.

Considering that during my original sleep study I was told I had 169 'events' in 60 minutes sleep time (until they stopped the study and sent me home), I guess my therapy is doing what it was intended to do. First sleep doctor I had told me after I was his patient for 6 months: "since you are making no effort to lose weight and cure your sleep apnea, I don't want to see you again until you have lost weight." I'm glad the young sleep doctor doesn't say nasty things like that.

(08-15-2014, 11:41 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Let's see... You live in Illinois............. Just say "Yo Doc, How 'bout dem Bears!" That'll get him to talking.

Talking about "dem Bears" would definitely get my husband talking as he was born and raised in Packer country. Both our sons are 'Viking' fans, one son lives in IL - the other lives in WI..........go figure. The son who lives in IL went with his FIL (who is a lifetime GB ticket holder) to a Packer game. My son had the b---s to wear purple face paint and his Viking jacket, hat and gloves. Told him not to do that, but what does his Ma know?