Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? (/Thread-Is-Everyone-Using-a-Humidifier)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - JimZZZ - 08-17-2014

I wonder why I need a humidifier and all the associated fuss.Thinking-about

The humidity in my house is about 50% (35% in winter) and I never experienced a dried out nose or mouth before PAP. My humidifier is set on 1 and uses almost no water on a given night. So I'm thinking of removing the humidifier to find out whether I notice any difference. I like it simple...

Anyone not using a humidifier?

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - DeepBreathing - 08-17-2014

I've never not used a humidifier (pardon the double negative) but I do think I'd miss it if I didn't have it. It's really there as a comfort thing, so if you want to avoid the fuss, try doing without it for a while and see how it goes. It might be an idea to try when you don't have a big day to follow, just in case you don't get any sleep.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - Sleepster - 08-17-2014

A few forum members have reported not using the humidifier, but most seem to use one. I tried it without one night and didn't like it.

The humid air is good for the mucous membranes and lungs, especially when we have a sinus problems like a cold or allergies.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - justMongo - 08-17-2014

Probably should have added a poll to this thread.
Using my H5i @ 5 and uses almost the full tank of water.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - Stroppy - 08-17-2014

I like the humidifier on my F&P Icon APAP. It's set low, at 4, but that's fine. As other posters have said, it soothes the sinuses and helps keep your throat and mouth moist. Imagine breathing in dry cold air. Your sinuses would revolt and your mouth would be as dry as the Sahara Desert! Eeeek!

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - Simon M - 08-17-2014

I've unplugged the humidifier on really hot nights, but always end up with a 'dried out' feeling in my nose the next day. It's worth trying out, and everyone is different, so you may not have the same problem I did.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - cant_sleep_in_nj - 08-17-2014

never used a humidifier, never understood the need

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - JimZZZ - 08-17-2014

So...I will try sleeping without the humidifier (I must tweak) and report on my experience. Unless...I end up as a crispy zombie.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - trish6hundred - 08-17-2014

Hi JimZZZ,
Try doing without it and see how you do, it's a comfort feature; some people don't use their humidifiers.
I use my hunidifier year-round.
Before CPAP therapy, I was proned to nosebleeds and the humidifier helps to keep my nose from drying out and now that I'm using CPAP, no more nosebleeds, YAHOO.!
Let us know your findings.

RE: Is Everyone Using a Humidifier? - Ghandi - 08-17-2014

humidity and mucus are friends. I use a humidifier at maximum level. I dont see any advatange in not using one. Ony one drawback. On could suffer from dried mucus and have a runny nose. Whe the nose i really dry it gets runny. so ppl think because its runny it humid enough. It's a bit conter intuitive. I dont take any chances and use the mudifier Smile