Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI and a Good Night Slep - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI and a Good Night Slep (/Thread-AHI-and-a-Good-Night-Slep)

Pages: 1 2

AHI and a Good Night Slep - Eleong2 - 08-17-2014

Hello Everyone,

I have been on CPAP for 9 months now and doing great. Happy that I went through the process for treatment, it has really made my quality of life better. I have been using SleepyHead to track my progress over this period and noticed a trend. When my AHI number is really low (less than 1) my quality of sleep (not due to APNEA) was not that good. Another words I wasn't in what I consider very deep sleep. For instance last night, my sleep was rather restless and I kept waking up, my AHI number was 0.2. Most of the nights when I would remember parts of dreams my AHI would be somewhere between 1.5 and 3 and felt that I was in a really deep sleep. On the average I have been getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night and my leak rate would be below 15. I think this AHI number is a little misleading and your body seems to find the right balance for you to get good sleep. I have read on this board where folks strive to get an AHI of 0, but I wonder if that is really necessary and are they are getting the quality sleep they need. I am curious to hear from you folks who have been doing this for years and what your experiences are.

Thanks for listeningSmile
Ed

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - bwexler - 08-17-2014

I am almost 4 years in. I have had a few zeros.
I am still looking for the answer to your question.

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - Eleong2 - 08-17-2014

(08-17-2014, 05:17 PM)bwexler Wrote: I am almost 4 years in. I have had a few zeros.
I am still looking for the answer to your question.

Thanks for the reply, just noticed my post subject, I meant "Sleep". Fingers are faster than my brain. I should start a sleep diary to make this more of a study. Smile

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - zonk - 08-17-2014

(08-17-2014, 04:52 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: I have read on this board where folks strive to get an AHI of 0, but I wonder if that is really necessary and are they are getting the quality sleep they need.
Zero AHI is not the not goal, the goal is getting a good night sleep and feeling refreshed in the morning
Plus what happen while I,m asleep is out of my hand

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - trish6hundred - 08-17-2014

Hi Eleong2,
As long as you are below 5, you are doing well. I think the 0 is just a number people try to reach for, but hang in there for more responses.

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - retired_guy - 08-17-2014

I think everyone is seeking that particular sweet spot that is uniquely theirs. Our AHI is a convenient check on whether or not we are managing our apnea, but not really a complete answer as to whether or not we get that magical nights sleep. In my case my AHI doesn't change much regardless of whether or not I had, or feel I had, a super nights sleep. As long as I do what I'm supposed to do with my machine and my mask, my apnea is very well under control.

My experience is once I achieved a consistently low AHI, then the nights I practiced what they call "good sleep hygiene" would result in better or even great nights of sleep. Good hygiene for me is eat a modest dinner in the evening, have a simple snack later in the evening, the go to bed at a reasonable hour. Add to that a conscientious attempt to leave the trauma of the day to the past, and the unknowns of tomorrow to the future and I'm out like a light and doing good.

So should you strive for a zero AHI? Not necessarily. A zero AHI comes with it's own set of problems: in Sleepyhead the obnoxious happy face shows up when you get a zero AHI. On those sleepy mornings before you've had your coffee, that can be traumatic. So do the best you can in eliminating the apnea events and then look to the other things to achieve sleeping nirvana: Leak numbers, Flow limits, hours asleep --- take two of the above and call me in the morning.

p.s. Did I mention "eat a modest dinner in the evening, have a simple snack later in the evening, the go to bed at a reasonable hour" is extremely boring?

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - Eleong2 - 08-17-2014

(08-17-2014, 06:19 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I think everyone is seeking that particular sweet spot that is uniquely theirs. Our AHI is a convenient check on whether or not we are managing our apnea, but not really a complete answer as to whether or not we get that magical nights sleep. In my case my AHI doesn't change much regardless of whether or not I had, or feel I had, a super nights sleep. As long as I do what I'm supposed to do with my machine and my mask, my apnea is very well under control.

My experience is once I achieved a consistently low AHI, then the nights I practiced what they call "good sleep hygiene" would result in better or even great nights of sleep. Good hygiene for me is eat a modest dinner in the evening, have a simple snack later in the evening, the go to bed at a reasonable hour. Add to that a conscientious attempt to leave the trauma of the day to the past, and the unknowns of tomorrow to the future and I'm out like a light and doing good.

So should you strive for a zero AHI? Not necessarily. A zero AHI comes with it's own set of problems: in Sleepyhead the obnoxious happy face shows up when you get a zero AHI. On those sleepy mornings before you've had your coffee, that can be traumatic. So do the best you can in eliminating the apnea events and then look to the other things to achieve sleeping nirvana: Leak numbers, Flow limits, hours asleep --- take two of the above and call me in the morning.

p.s. Did I mention "eat a modest dinner in the evening, have a simple snack later in the evening, the go to bed at a reasonable hour" is extremely boring?

I have to get up at 4 am to go to work so I also practice a similar routine. It is boring! In the beginning I was striving for the lowest AHI, but now all I care if I get a sound night sleep. I think found that "sweet spot" and I have no problem getting up and feeling ready for the day. Unlike before the treatment.

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - Terry - 08-17-2014

(08-17-2014, 04:52 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: my progress over this period and noticed a trend. When my AHI number is really low (less than 1) my quality of sleep (not due to APNEA) was not that good. Another words I wasn't in what I consider very deep sleep. For instance last night, my sleep was rather restless and I kept waking up, my AHI number was 0.2. Most of the nights when I would remember parts of dreams my AHI would be somewhere between 1.5 and 3 and felt that I was in a really deep sleep. On

Try switching SleepyHead from AHI to RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index). It seems to better model how well you're sleeping.

Also, check your graphs in SH. I feel like crap even if my AHI is down near 0, if I've been snoring a lot.

I had to raise my pressure enough to eliminate almost all the snoring, not just the apneas, before I consistently felt good in the morning.

Terry

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - nightflight - 08-18-2014

Quote:I have been on CPAP for 9 months now and doing great.

That should be enough. It would be for me.

RE: AHI and a Good Night Slep - yaggy_bear - 08-22-2014

I had an AHI of 118 and now im down to 1.4

I feel great the next day too, i dream, and my quality of sleep has greatly improved.