Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[News] Chin Strap Users - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [News] Chin Strap Users (/Thread-News-Chin-Strap-Users)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Chin Strap Users - Bompa - 08-20-2014

Mouth Breathers who have to use a Chin Strap.....there's hope.

I am ( was ) a Mouth Breather who has had to wear a Chin Strap for 3 1/2
years while using my CPAP.

Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

Those of you who have to use a Chin Strap don't give up because eventually you can toss it away.

Sleep-well Coffee

RE: Chin Strap Users - bwexler - 08-20-2014

I did fine on my S9 Autoset with a pressure range of 8-12 with no chin strap.
With my new ASV machine it's a new ball game. My pressure was frequently above 24 cm. I have now tamed down to where it seldom gets above 17. It seems keeping my mouth shut was not enough. I have to keep my lips sealed to hold the higher pressure. I will be traveling for a couple weeks (withe my ASV), when I return I may try no chin strap and see what happens.

It should only take one night to know, maybe less.

RE: Chin Strap Users - Skypilot - 08-20-2014

(08-20-2014, 09:42 AM)Bompa Wrote: Mouth Breathers who have to use a Chin Strap.....there's hope.

I am ( was ) a Mouth Breather who has had to wear a Chin Strap for 3 1/2
years while using my CPAP.

Last week I thought that I'd try sleeping without the strap.

Lo and Behold the strap has finally taught my mouth to stay closed while I sleep using my CPAP . What a treat!!!

Those of you who have to use a Chin Strap don't give up because eventually you can toss it away.

Sleep-well Coffee

I was wondering and thinking the same - if after a while you do not need the chinstrap. I have been using a chin strap for a short time so will give it a bit longer before I try without.

(I am using a head sweatband as a chinstrap - works for me.)

RE: Chin Strap Users - Bompa - 08-21-2014

(08-20-2014, 09:48 PM)Skypilot Wrote: I was wondering and thinking the same - if after a while you do not need the chinstrap. I have been using a chin strap for a short time so will give it a bit longer before I try without.

(I am using a head sweatband as a chinstrap - works for me.)

As you can see, it didn't happen overnight.
Hang in there and persevere. Hopefully your training period will be shorter. It takes longer to teach an old dog new tricks. Laugh-a-lot

Coffee

RE: Chin Strap Users - trish6hundred - 08-21-2014

Hi Bompa,
That's great to hear that you can do without the chinstrap, I hope you continue to have success with that.
I just switched to one of Resmed's newer, lighter masks, with minimal headgear, to allow me to wear a chinstrap without so much on my face and have had fairly good success with it.
Last night, I tried a few hours without a chinstrap and so far, I need to continue with it for a while yet. That was one of those nights where nothing was comfortable, oh well, it is what it is, (Ha-Ha.)
Anywho, you keep up the good work.

RE: Chin Strap Users - Gabby - 08-21-2014

Bompa that's great. I only hope it doesn't take me three and a half years to train my mouth to stay shut being as I have only been using a chinstrap for about one week.
I must say I am now getting the longed for good leak results since I started using it.
My chin and ears do not like it though. I am quite sore in the mornings.

Trish good to hear you are adapting well to the P10, it is a great little mask. I love it. I am pleased my problems have been solved with chinstrap and will no longer have to look at replacing mask.
Good luck with your chinstrap, I know how you feel, I hate wearing it, I put it off for as long as I could.

Only two years and twenty five weeks to go...Oh-jeez

RE: Chin Strap Users - Paralel - 08-21-2014

(08-21-2014, 06:27 PM)Gabby Wrote: My chin and ears do not like it though. I am quite sore in the mornings.
Depending on the type you have, it should be possible to cut the fabric in such a way to give your ears relief without compromising the integrity of the strap.

RE: Chin Strap Users - DonH - 08-21-2014

Changing subject slightly. I too am a mouth breather and started with the F-P Forma full face mask. Used it for 3 years and then got an ad for the ResMed Quattro Air at a very good introductory price. I bought one and my apeas went from 1-2 to 0-1 and leakage was cut in half.
Still a mouth breather but the new mask is 1/4 the weight. I am glad I had the Forma to begin with as I would not have continued with Cpap if I had had to use the F-P mask I started on.

RE: Chin Strap Users - trish6hundred - 08-21-2014

(08-21-2014, 08:34 PM)DonH Wrote: Changing subject slightly. I too am a mouth breather and started with the F-P Forma full face mask. Used it for 3 years and then got an ad for the ResMed Quattro Air at a very good introductory price. I bought one and my apeas went from 1-2 to 0-1 and leakage was cut in half.
Still a mouth breather but the new mask is 1/4 the weight. I am glad I had the Forma to begin with as I would not have continued with Cpap if I had had to use the F-P mask I started on.
Hi DonH,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you found a mask that works well for you.
Best of luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.

RE: Chin Strap Users - Gabby - 08-22-2014

Thanks Paralel, good thinking, around the ears can easily be cut without messing up the workings, and will be done tonight.
I'm glad I mentioned it. My ears will be forever grateful to you.

DonH welcome to the forum and glad you have found a good mask that is nice and light. I am sure it makes all the difference.