Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
air cutting out in middle of night - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: air cutting out in middle of night (/Thread-air-cutting-out-in-middle-of-night)

Pages: 1 2

air cutting out in middle of night - figurethisout - 08-23-2014

Recently received new machine ResMed). Starts out well but I am waking in the middle of the night and finding no air in mask or tube. Has anyone had this experience? Doesn't seem right.

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - surferdude2 - 08-23-2014

If you are using the humidifier with it, try it without it. Also run it until it stops and feel the a.c. adapter to see if it's overheating. Also be sure you have the correct a.c. adapter. For use with a humidifier you need the 90 watt one. Check the tag and verify.

When it isn't delivering air, does it make any noise and when you press the button does the light come on?

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - retired_guy - 08-23-2014

Is the "auto start" option on? That's the thing that the machine starts when you breath in the mask, and is supposed to automatically stop when you take the mask off. Problem is sometimes it "thinks" you took the mask off because you had a temporary big leak or something. Solution is to turn the "autostart" off, and use the cute little button on top of the machine.

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - trish6hundred - 08-23-2014

Hi figurethisout,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - Shastzi - 08-24-2014

What retired_guy said.
Turn that stupid AutoStart off!

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - daddyhominum - 08-24-2014

(08-23-2014, 09:06 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Is the "auto start" option on?

I found a setting for autoset but not for autostart. Where do I find that?

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - daddyhominum - 08-24-2014

I have this problem recently. One night, I counted. The air stopped while I took 7 breaths without it working. Then the air resumed and I counted 25 breaths with air. Then it stopped and I counted 7 or 8 breaths without air. So it continued, about 7-8 breaths without air and then 25 to 100 with air. Eventually, the machine returned to normal operation. Sometimes the fitful start/stop is over quickly and I return to sleep. Other times, I have gone and watched tv for an hour before returning to a comfortable sleep. It is really irritating when it happens, as so often, about an hour before my normal waking time as I give up and go short of sleep.

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - justMongo - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 05:04 PM)daddyhominum Wrote:
(08-23-2014, 09:06 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Is the "auto start" option on?

I found a setting for autoset but not for autostart. Where do I find that?

I believe you'll find it named SMARTSTART.
It's in the Clinician's Menu under SETTINGS.
Next to last entry in SETTINGS.

(08-24-2014, 05:12 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I have this problem recently. One night, I counted. The air stopped while I took 7 breaths without it working. Then the air resumed and I counted 25 breaths with air. Then it stopped and I counted 7 or 8 breaths without air. So it continued, about 7-8 breaths without air and then 25 to 100 with air. Eventually, the machine returned to normal operation. Sometimes the fitful start/stop is over quickly and I return to sleep. Other times, I have gone and watched tv for an hour before returning to a comfortable sleep. It is really irritating when it happens, as so often, about an hour before my normal waking time as I give up and go short of sleep.

I think I would trash that junker.

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - vsheline - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 05:12 PM)daddyhominum Wrote: I have this problem recently. One night, I counted. The air stopped while I took 7 breaths without it working. Then the air resumed and I counted 25 breaths with air. Then it stopped and I counted 7 or 8 breaths without air. So it continued, about 7-8 breaths without air and then 25 to 100 with air. Eventually, the machine returned to normal operation.

If turning off Smartstop does not solve the problem, either the machine may need to be plugged into an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to prevent power glitches from affecting the machine (but it does not seem likely that power glitches are the problem) or else perhaps the machine is defective and needs service, and needs to be taken to DME (Durable Medical Equipment provider) to get RMA (Return Material Authorization) from manufacturer and get it sent in for replacement (if still under warranty).

If not still under warranty then better to replace the machine than repair it. You could check out prices for used machines from Supplier #2, which usually include at least a 6 month warranty. (Link to Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: air cutting out in middle of night - retired_guy - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 05:24 PM)justMongo Wrote: I believe you'll find it named SMARTSTART.
It's in the Clinician's Menu under SETTINGS.
Next to last entry in SETTINGS.

Yes, I keep forgetting it's called Smartstart. Probably because I can't think of any reason it should be considered "Smart."