Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Foreign travel with CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Foreign travel with CPAP (/Thread-Foreign-travel-with-CPAP)

Foreign travel with CPAP - atk1031 - 08-27-2014

I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet with nasal mask. Does anyone have experience traveling to Europe with a similar CPAP? Any problem with the voltage (like your machine blowing up)? It's supposed to be usable (with adapter, of course), but I'm a bit wary. Thanks!

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - zonk - 08-27-2014

Hi atk1031
From ResMed: Can I use my ResMed CPAP system in other countries?
All ResMed CPAP systems have a power supply that automatically adjusts to the various power supplies in different parts of the world. All devices will accept 100-240V, 50-60Hz, without any special adjustment.

Please note:
you will need to use the correct plug adapter for the power outlet of the country you are visiting.

Bon Voyage

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - justMongo - 08-27-2014

There are two different plug adapters for Europe.
There are the Brits with their 3 prong 240 VAC plug; and then the continent where a simple two prong round pin adapter is needed.
Brit plug:
[Image: 220px-Moulded_and_rewireable_BS_1363_plu...tal%29.jpg]

Brit outlets have switches -- so make sure the outlet is switched on; and their plugs are internally fused. (Shocking!)

Europlug for the continent:
[Image: 220px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg]

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - PaulaO2 - 08-27-2014

You can find an all-in-one power adapter just about anywhere now. Look in the mobile tech section of Walmart, Target, or any place like that.

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - TheDuke - 08-28-2014

(08-27-2014, 05:13 PM)atk1031 Wrote: I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet with nasal mask. Does anyone have experience traveling to Europe with a similar CPAP? Any problem with the voltage (like your machine blowing up)? It's supposed to be usable (with adapter, of course), but I'm a bit wary. Thanks!

I have traveled to Europe several times with my machine. For quite a few years now, the ResMed and Respironics, and other machines have had so-called universal power supply that tolerates the 240V, 50 cycle power used in most of Europe. Like you I was very nervous the first time I tried it, but I have used three different machines in maybe 10 countries with no problems. You will need to get compatible socket adapters, but department stores, AAA offices, or on-line all sell them.I do urge having an extension cord because you may not find an outlet in reach of your bed.

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - atk1031 - 08-29-2014

Thanks! I was pretty sure it was OK, but it's a relief to have this reassurance. I do have several adapters, but hadn't thought of an extension cord. Good suggestion.

RE: Foreign travel with CPAP - dakuda - 08-29-2014

I like to use cords like this: [commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules. as an alternative, please tell folks to "search Amazon for '6-Feet European Power Cord for Notebook, Non-Polarized'" - this will get them to the product without posting the direct link]

You have to bring a cord for the power brick anyway, you might as well bring the right cord for country you visit. Since I don't need an adapter with this method, it saves a little bulk.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----