Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in (/Thread-My-P10-has-arrived-after-a-long-wait-4-days-in)

Pages: 1 2

My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - Galactus - 08-28-2014

Well I have to say I was apprehensive about changing masks, the P10 has been highly recommended but even so I had my doubts. I got it about two weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to change. A few days back I took the plunge. So I opened the box and was really surprised. First it is so tightly packed in there and looked so small. Then I removed it and dayyyyymmmm it is tiny, and light and feels like a feather. A little skinny set of straps. I looked at the wife she looked at me and I was like look a speedo mask, and we laughed. She was like no adjustable straps? I was like I know right? I was like no way this thing is going to work. Well holy crap, this thing is freaking awesome, I have had about 5 masks and this is by far the best thing yet. I wish I would have gotten this thing months ago. The only question is how well it hold up over the next few months, but as of now 5 thumbs up!

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - herbm - 08-28-2014

Really, someone should have told you how great the P10 is. Smile

My first one last 7 months and then I even wore it most of the time instead of the new one (new one was a little tight and it was just easier to keep wearing the old one and save the new for a backup.)

Then the puppy chomped the old one; the one of the half straps was cut, the other hanging by literally 3 threads, the pillow ruined, and the central platform intact but somehow sprung so the mask LOOKED ok but would leak at beyond the limits and for the first time my P10 made enough NOISE to bug me.

How do people with noisy masks STAND IT?

Anyway, the 2nd mask was doing fine and someone forgot about the puppy on a quick trip to the bedroom. There went mask two.

I actually went back to my first one (this was when I discovered it was sprung) and was stuck using it for about a week since this happened right at the time of my total hip replacement last week.

So a couple of nights trying to track down the leak and tolerating the (not so bad but NEW) noise from my usually silent P10, and it became obvious the mask platform and the pillow were VERY SLIGHTLY incompatible, close enough to work, or even go silent if positioned just right but badly enough that it might wake me with sounds of leaks, even between leaks were awful (for the first time every for me.)

By this time it was the weekend and I couldn't get one (in town) until Monday or really from my main vendor until then either.

So I GLUED the darn pillows with silicone cement/caulk (aquarium type) to seal the pillow (a large I don't really need) onto the platform.

Leaks went down to marginally Ok (right at the limit) and the noise almost disappeared (I would have run another bead of silicone if it had needed to last any longer.)

On Monday, I finally ordered a new mask, they over-nighted it for free but then screwed up the order and held it one extra day -- it arrived on Wednesday before I went to sleep tonight (I am up to take a pill).

So tonight I am finally sleeping with my brand new 3rd P10.

Can't say how long they will last for sure, but if you don't let the puppy (or kitty) chew on it then 6 months is not unreasonable, and there will likely be life in it when you retire it even then. (Good backup.)

ENJOY!

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - Gabby - 08-28-2014

Galactus that is fantastic news!
I cannot think of one person that has tried the P10 that has not liked it, apart from complaints about the headgear.
But you didn't even mention that which is wonderful.
Don't worry about not having started earlier just be pleased you have started using it now.

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - trish6hundred - 08-28-2014

Hi Galactus,
It's good to hear that you got the P10.
It looks like it's not supposed to work, doesn't it?
It works very well though, I even like the headgear.
I hope mine lasts quite a while before I have to replace it but we'll see.

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - SandysSpot - 08-28-2014

LOVING my P10! Glad you gave it a shot!

I keep hearing that if the straps get too loose, just wash them and they should tighten back up.

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - Webbie73 - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 12:24 AM)Galactus Wrote: Well I have to say I was apprehensive about changing masks, the P10 has been highly recommended but even so I had my doubts. I got it about two weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to change. A few days back I took the plunge. So I opened the box and was really surprised. First it is so tightly packed in there and looked so small. Then I removed it and dayyyyymmmm it is tiny, and light and feels like a feather. A little skinny set of straps. I looked at the wife she looked at me and I was like look a speedo mask, and we laughed. She was like no adjustable straps? I was like I know right? I was like no way this thing is going to work. Well holy crap, this thing is freaking awesome, I have had about 5 masks and this is by far the best thing yet. I wish I would have gotten this thing months ago. The only question is how well it hold up over the next few months, but as of now 5 thumbs up!

This made me smile!!!! I also love mine.
The first night I wore the mask I woke in the middle of the night in a panic. I could not feel my mask and thought I fell asleep without it. The mask is fantastic!!!!

Kathy

Webbie73/Kathy,

I literally have to feel my head or face to tell if the mask is on much of the time when I awake during the night.

Also have to channel air out my mouth to tell the MACHINE is on since the mask is so quiet (as is the machine).

I literally can't tell about either much of the time.

Washing it in hot water was never very effective for me though that recommendation is one that I heard as well.

One oddity is that it really didn't matter. I thought my mask was too loose after some months and tried to wash it. Didn't shrink (much) but despite the loosening it worked AS WELL OR EVEN BETTER being loose.

Would never have discovered that were it not for the 'too loose' mask.

Turned out it was MORE COMFORTABLE loose and worked just as well (for me).

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - retired_guy - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 01:49 AM)herbm Wrote: Then the puppy chomped the old one.................

Anyway, the 2nd mask was doing fine and someone forgot about the puppy on a quick trip to the bedroom...............

And here I thought I was the only one who was "puppy challenged..."

Well, they haven't laid waste of my mask yet. Just my pillow. ...and my house slippers. ...and my first sdcard............. .......and they do enjoy stealing my undershorts and taking them outside...... But that's about it. I think.

But, good job Galactus on your new mask! Now all you need is a new puppy.

The deal with OUR NEW puppy is that IF you TELL her about something and tell her "leave it" or "No" she'll turn away and that object is pretty much safe, as are similar/identical objects.

BUT she hasn't generalized it ye to, "If it's not MY toy, don't chomp it."

Pretty much the same deal with the 3.5 year old Trooper except he has it pretty well generalized.

Dogs do NOT generalize by default. They are very detailed and context oriented.

Puppy: "Oh, I didn't know sit meant to do that when were were OUT in the back yard. Got it."

Puppy: "Oh, front yard too? Wow."

Puppy: "Ok, you mean it always means to do this? Ok, got it."

Puppy: "Wait, even if you are wearing a hat when you say it?"

Puppy: "Now wait a minute, it STILL means do that if I am busy chasing a squirrel? Weird, but Ok."

RE: My P10 has arrived after a long wait 4 days in - trish6hundred - 08-28-2014

(08-28-2014, 09:54 AM)Webbie73 Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 12:24 AM)Galactus Wrote: Well I have to say I was apprehensive about changing masks, the P10 has been highly recommended but even so I had my doubts. I got it about two weeks ago but couldn't bring myself to change. A few days back I took the plunge. So I opened the box and was really surprised. First it is so tightly packed in there and looked so small. Then I removed it and dayyyyymmmm it is tiny, and light and feels like a feather. A little skinny set of straps. I looked at the wife she looked at me and I was like look a speedo mask, and we laughed. She was like no adjustable straps? I was like I know right? I was like no way this thing is going to work. Well holy crap, this thing is freaking awesome, I have had about 5 masks and this is by far the best thing yet. I wish I would have gotten this thing months ago. The only question is how well it hold up over the next few months, but as of now 5 thumbs up!

This made me smile!!!! I also love mine.
The first night I wore the mask I woke in the middle of the night in a panic. I could not feel my mask and thought I fell asleep without it. The mask is fantastic!!!!

Kathy
Hi Webbie73,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes it is a very quiet mask, I'm glad you like it.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy