Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New machine need help to set it up and get going. (/Thread-New-machine-need-help-to-set-it-up-and-get-going)

Pages: 1 2

New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Galactus - 09-04-2014

Thanks to all of you guys (excluding retired guy, and those puppies!! Dielaughing ) I went out and bought the machine today, a Philips 760P. Thanks to Apnea Board and Super Sleeper I have the clinician setup manual.

Machine seems very quiet, came with humidifier, still had the plastic over the dial. Looked to be in overall good condition. Very old user, and very nice husband who sold it to me. In case anyone wants to know.

Now, what the heck do I do?? Should I set it up as a standard CPAP at 18 as my current machine is, and record the data for a week before doing anything? Or.... should I just jump right in with the bipap biflex and set it up that way and see how it goes? Opinions please.Dont-know

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Peter_C - 09-04-2014

I would set it up like your current machine and get a week's worth of data first - different machine and all that. Then, depending on your numbers, you might try other stuff - just gotta remember, one thing at a time, with a reasonable time period between changes.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - trish6hundred - 09-04-2014

Hi Galactus, CONGRATULATIONS! on the new machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Galactus - 09-05-2014

(09-04-2014, 09:35 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I would set it up like your current machine and get a week's worth of data first - different machine and all that. Then, depending on your numbers, you might try other stuff - just gotta remember, one thing at a time, with a reasonable time period between changes.

This seems logical as I would like to know where I started, and what is happening now that I couldn't see on my old brick. I was thinking that made the most sense especially from past threads that you guys helped me pick a machine. So it's all setup like my old brick and I'm going to give it the old college try and see what I get.

Thanks as well trish6hundred, I almost didn't take the plunge as I really didn't want to spend the money, but what can you do? I need to know where I stand.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Peter_C - 09-05-2014

I see my sleep doc Monday - seeing all the centrals I am getting (my old machine did not know what a central was) - am betting a new study is coming my way soonish.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Galactus - 09-05-2014

(09-05-2014, 01:32 AM)Peter_C Wrote: I see my sleep doc Monday - seeing all the centrals I am getting (my old machine did not know what a central was) - am betting a new study is coming my way soonish.

At least now you know and they will get you back on track. Till now I have had a unit that pretty much didn't know what anything was. Now this one is way above my knowledge. So I'm just trying to figure out how to use it and to know what it knows. I guess I have to get the sleepyhead software and figure out how to use that as well. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed now with just how much I do not know.

Just doing my best to make sure no frustration sets in.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Shastzi - 09-06-2014

If you have good data with encore software or SleepyHead then you can make a good start for yourself.
Since you are already used to some fairly high pressure I would
start at the beginning with the new machine.
Try 7cm for low pressure, and about +4cm for the high side (11cm)
See how your numbers look after a week.
The pressure log will become important to help you decide where the machine is floating your pressure most of the time. Then you can set your high-low to bracket that value.
See? No rocket science! Smile

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - NickDanger - 09-06-2014

(09-04-2014, 09:35 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I would set it up like your current machine and get a week's worth of data first - different machine and all that. Then, depending on your numbers, you might try other stuff - just gotta remember, one thing at a time, with a reasonable time period between changes.

Absolutely agree. If you change more than one thing at a time, it can get very confusing identifying the problem if your results change.

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - Peter_C - 09-06-2014

(09-06-2014, 11:41 AM)NickDanger Wrote:

Absolutely agree. If you change more than one thing at a time, it can get very confusing identifying the problem if your results change.

BINGO! Then you might as well start all over again...

RE: New machine need help to set it up and get going. - retired_guy - 09-06-2014

(09-06-2014, 11:45 AM)Peter_C Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 11:41 AM)NickDanger Wrote:

BINGO! Then you might as well start all over again...

......and yet --- Anything worth doing is worth doing over.