Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? (/Thread-Can-a-CPAP-inflate-a-balloon)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - greatunclebill - 04-12-2012

Thanks to Sleepster and CHanlon's information posted in another thread, i did the balloon test.

You knew somebody was going to do it. At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

As you see in the attached picture, my old 3 button remstar set at 20, only fills up the shape of the uninflated balloon. It does not have enough pressure to blow the balloon up.

Now we know. It's unreal to me all the problems we have adjusting to this little pressure and how strong it feels when we don the mask and crank 'er up.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=197]

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - Bompa - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 11:37 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: Thanks to Sleepster and CHanlon's information posted in another thread, i did the balloon test.

You knew somebody was going to do it. At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

As you see in the attached picture, my old 3 button remstar set at 20, only fills up the shape of the uninflated balloon. It does not have enough pressure to blow the balloon up.

Now we know. It's unreal to me all the problems we have adjusting to this little pressure and how strong it feels when we don the mask and crank 'er up.

I feel so much better now knowing that tid bit of information.... LOL
Thanks

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - SuperSleeper - 04-12-2012

Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - PaulaO2 - 04-12-2012

Dang! You beat me to it!

There went my entertainment for the afternoon. :grin:

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - Dreamcatcher - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 11:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile

But the experiment is not over ??? Its only been half done. After a balloon as been inflated what pressure does it put out when deflating so you get the same effect as a blowing cpap machine. My guess is its around the 100 mark as its too much for the lungs to take trying to deflate it in your mouth, but I wonder what the correct readings are

1. Pressure of a deflating Balloon = ?

you will probably need this equation to set you on the right path

[Image: NewtonSecondLaw.jpg]

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - greatunclebill - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 11:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Wow... cool.... didn't think anyone would really try that experiment.

Nice job, Bill. Smile

LOL....

If something needs said, i'll say it. If something needs done, a butt needs kicked or a balloon needs inflating, i'll do it.

did ya notice my old 3 button without the arrows?

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - mckevin32 - 04-12-2012

According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - greatunclebill - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 02:00 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

that's pretty darn close to what i said in the original post.

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - Sleepster - 04-12-2012

(04-12-2012, 02:49 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(04-12-2012, 02:00 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

that's pretty darn close to what i said in the original post.

You mean when you said this ...

(04-12-2012, 11:37 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: At a pressure of 20, which is the limit of most xpap's, the pressure is equivalent to .284 PSI, not even enough to blow up a balloon.

Too-funny

RE: Can a CPAP inflate a balloon ??? - mckevin32 - 04-12-2012

Okay, okay, back off. So I'm reading impaired, lol...

Blame it on getting all distracted by the balloon experiment...