Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? (/Thread-What-is-the-quietest-BiPAP-machine)

Pages: 1 2

What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - Tom in RI - 09-16-2014

The machine I am using now is in my sig. Previously I used a Respironics BiPAP Auto M Series (model 1022334). My wife swears the older machine is more quiet, but I sleep better with the new machine (and I can see everything daily with Sleepyhead, which I can't with the older machine). My question: what BiPAP machines have the reputation for being the most quiet? Does performance in other areas suffer to achieve the least noise? Is the use of mask as important noise wise as the machine?

I am pretty happy with my current situation as far as therapy goes, my AHI for the last year is 0.74 so I am not really looking to make changes(although I expect my pressures will be lowered at my next visit with my pulmonologist) but I am trying to plan ahead. What is the usual life span of a machine (I've had two in 12 years)?

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - bwexler - 09-16-2014

The lifespan according to Medicare is about 5 years.
My PRS1 960 is very noisy. after a year I am kind of learning to live with it, but I don't like the noise.
My old Resmed S9 Autoset was near dead silent.

Yes the mask can make a big difference in the noise of the exhaust port.

I don't know the answer to your question.

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - zonk - 09-16-2014

I don,t use BIPAP
My new Airsense 10 AutoSet is extremely quiet, you could hear a pin drop Coffee

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - retired_guy - 09-16-2014

[Image: pins.jpg]

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - JWR - 09-16-2014

A broken one! Bag-head

Have to agree the M series is way quieter the the 50 or 60 series.

Think Resmed wins this one .

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - PaytonA - 09-16-2014

I think that the only performance area that suffers in order to make the machine quiet is the financial performance area.

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - Galactus - 09-17-2014

Ok, I have seen this question 2-3x now, and I have a DS260, DS760, DS750, and an S9 Elite at my disposal at the moment. I have a sound app or two on my phone that can record the decibel levels, the question is this;

1- Where should I record the sound level? At the hose? Just around the machine? Where specifically?
2- Humidifier in or out?
3- Hose attached? Or off?

I've been busy at work, but I will make time if you tell me what you want measured..... then we will have real numbers.

What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - archangle - 09-17-2014

The discussions I've heard on CPAP machines in general makes me think that there's a lot of variation in noise levels even between two of the same model of CPAP machine. There's also a lot of variation in how people perceive the same sound. Some people are bothered by variations in sound level. Some have problems with the absolute volume level.

Some machines vary quite a bit based on settings, especially in terms of how much the sound level varies between inhale and exhale. PRS1 machines seem to vary more in volume. There have been a fair number of reports of some S9 machines "honking" at the end of the breathing cycle.

One solution is to put the machine in a drawer, or building a box to put it in. You'll need a hole for the hose to go through. It shouldn't overheat as long as the hose comes out of the box or drawer because it's pumping air out of the box, and room air has to come in to replace it. Unless you seal the box really tightly, it will be able to pull enough air to stay cool. You can also sometimes locate it behind something, over the edge of the bed,e tc.

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - Sleepster - 09-17-2014

My S9 VPAP Auto is definitely quieter than my PRS1 BiPAP Pro.

At first the S9 made a slight whistling noise, but after a couple of weeks of break-in it went away.

I recommend some background white noise. We have a large HEPA filter machine in our bedroom.

RE: What is the quietest BiPAP machine? - DeepBreathing - 09-17-2014

My S9 VPAP Adapt is noisier that the Respironics Bipap (can't remember the exact model) I had on trial. But these things are relative - they're both very quiet. SWMBO says she can't hear my machine, so that's the most important thing for me.

I agree with Archangel that there is probably a fair bit of variability within brands - the S9 Autoset I had originally was absolutely silent.