Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? (/Thread-How-important-is-it-to-have-the-latest-firmware-version)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - EyesWideOpen - 04-13-2012

I should be getting a new ResMed S9 Autoset next week. How important is it to ensure that it has the latest version of firmware. I called ResMed Technical Support today, and according to them version 903 is the latest. He said that the company couldn't guarantee that I would receive the latest version. I said that at the very least I could ask, but maybe I should insist. What do you guys think?

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - zonk - 04-13-2012

Resmed don,t advertise the changes but assume as always good to get the latest as whatever problems would be rectified in the latest version.
Steven did post about this issue in the old forum.

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - PaulaO2 - 04-13-2012

There's a way to tell the date of manufacturing on the back of the machine. This is the thread Zonk referred to, I think.
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8642096/1/

It tells how to see the software number and some on how to tell the manufacturing date. I thought there was another thread where we talked about how to read the numbers on the back and figure out the date but I couldn't find it.

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - JumpStart - 04-13-2012

(04-13-2012, 04:21 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: I should be getting a new ResMed S9 Autoset next week. How important is it to ensure that it has the latest version of firmware. I called ResMed Technical Support today, and according to them version 903 is the latest. He said that the company couldn't guarantee that I would receive the latest version. I said that at the very least I could ask, but maybe I should insist. What do you guys think?

EyesWideOpen, I think is is very important to get the latest firmware for a variety of reasons. First, it will contain every improvement and bug fix to date. ResMed does not follow standard convention with their software company (they upgraded their ResScan from 3.16 to 3.16_SP1 (a service pack increase, which in software language is significant) without even changing their version number of 3.16.018 one bit. Normally, that initial version and updated version would be different. And firmware is basically software written for the machine. So you have no way of knowing just what improvements they have made in their firmware updates. And they also don't allow you to upgrade your firmware once you own the machine!!

A current firmware would also undoubtedly determine whether or not you can use a SDHC card in your machine. I have version 904, (not 903) and have no trouble using any SDHC card - I have tried up to 16GB as a test. As the SD cards ResMed initially used (and still sells) are used up, and they are already hard to find on the general market, you will want to be able to use the SDHC as a replacement. Many of the earlier S9s cannot use anything but the original SD card. And that change undoubtedly was created in a firmware update.

Think of it this way (and ignoring inflation) - would you buy a 2010 car now at the same price you would have paid 2 years ago? Or would you expect a 2012 model, for the same price, instead? Maybe a bad example - best I can think of on the spur of the moment.

I urge you to check your firmware, and also check the blower hours. If there is more than an hour of blower time, max, excluding any time they have run the machine while demonstrating it to you, I would absolutely reject the machine. The reason is simple - you are paying (or your insurance is paying, same difference) for a new one, and they won't be providing that.

Edit: I would also reject it if the firmware wasn't current for the same reason.

I don't offhand recall the thread where the method for checking those items on an AutoSet was described. I will look for it, and maybe someone else can chime in with that location as well.

Good luck.

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - EyesWideOpen - 04-13-2012

I have already received a reply from my supplier, and she said that she would pass along my request for version 903 or better. I don't think that she really put her heart into it, but I guess it's like JumpStrat says, why settle for something that's out of date, when something better is available. I will make my request a formal requirement on Monday morning. If it ain't new....I don't want it! If they want to sell it to me, I guess that they'll have to work a little harder than usual.

Just to confirm; Jumpstart, did you say that you have version 904? The guy at ResMed technical support said that 903 was the latest?????

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - Surly - 04-13-2012

According to the link Paula02 posted previously in this thread my S9 has firmware version 905 (SW FX474-905).

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - pssnn - 04-14-2012

Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered but how does one navigate to the service menu to see what firmware version the Autoset S9 is running? I do have the option to turn on autostart in the FullFace mask mode but I cannot find the SW version anywhare in the menu.

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - zonk - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 12:24 AM)pssnn Wrote: Sorry if I am asking something that has already been answered but how does one navigate to the service menu to see what firmware version the Autoset S9 is running? I do have the option to turn on autostart in the FullFace mask mode but I cannot find the SW version anywhare in the menu.
I think you have the updated S9 bc on my machine can,t get the autostart enabled with full face mask and as mentioned in the old thread to tell if you have an older or newer model unplug the machine and plug it back in if the startup screen says S9 Series in a small lettering you got an older model. If it comes up with a big ResMed logo than you have a newer model.
Also when you look at the sleep quality report (press & hold the two silver buttons for 3 sec) and turn the push dial to the service screen you should see the following:
BID
VID
RID
HID

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - pssnn - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 12:52 AM)zonk Wrote: Also when you look at the sleep quality report (press & hold the two silver buttons for 3 sec) and turn the push dial to the service screen

Thanks Zonk, I just discovered a new menu! This is the first time I have looked at that screen. Makes me wonder if I'm missing other "easter eggs" Wink

Yes I do have the 0905 version.

RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version? - EyesWideOpen - 04-14-2012

I wonder why the technician at ResMed told me yesterday that the latest version was 903? What would his motivation be to lie to me? I don't get it. I'll revise my e-mail to my DME asking for 903, and ask for 903 or later I guess.