Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. (/Thread-Four-days-into-cpap-and-can-t-sleep)

Pages: 1 2

Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Highroller - 09-21-2014

So I'm new to cpap, recently got diagnosed with OSA. My problem is that I feel tired and ready for sleep but when I throw on the mask and get the cpap going I can't fall asleep. I will lay there all night half awake, even if I'm exhausted. I know some people take longer than others to adjust, however I feel that I should be sleeping if I'm exhausted. Any suggestions as I'm new to this?
Pressure 8cm
Respironics, no c flex option
Nasal mask

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - zonk - 09-21-2014

(09-21-2014, 07:44 PM)Highroller Wrote: Any suggestions as I'm new to this?
Pressure 8cm
Respironics, no c flex option
Nasal mask
Maybe this wiki might helps
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tips_for_new_CPAP_users

Welcome

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Evpraxia - 09-21-2014

Hello HighRoller,

The link to Wiki is a great idea.

My hubby and I both have SA (Sleep Apnea), he has been using a CPAP since 2003 and got a new machine (Hurray!) about 4 weeks ago. I just got my new machine on Saturday.

After our sleep studies, the Resp. Tech/Sleep Study person reminded us that if we felt we wanted/needed a different mask or hose we could call and set up a daytime appt to try out different masks and hoses at no charge. Then, depending on what the Doc would agree to, the insurance might cover the different equipment prior to the usual replacement schedule.

You came to the best place to ask questions - glad you keep on trying!

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - surferdude2 - 09-21-2014

I'm no expert since I'm pretty new to this stuff too. While we're waiting for someone better, I'll will tell you how I handled what you are going through since it sounds like what I experienced when starting this journey.

I found that I needed to supply some background sound that would drown out the noise of inhale/exhale air flow of the CPAP system. That air flow noise kept me in a state of anxiety and I'd lay there for hours and not be able to fall asleep. I remembered that I had an old clock radio that had several soothing sounds that could be selected for help getting to sleep. It has a timer that turns it off after 1 hour. The first night I used it I had to press the button twice to get a second run. Since then I've used it and never hear the end of the first run. It drowns out all sounds of the CPAP system and makes it easier to ignore the fact that I'm all harnessed up like a scuba diver.

If you decide that's for you, they sell just plain noise generator machines at Walmart and other big stores.

There are some real good heads here that can give you expert advice so you've make a good first step by just showing up here. Stick around and you'll get going on your therapy faster than you think.

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Galactus - 09-21-2014

Welcome to the board, I wish you all the best.
For me I was so exhausted by the time I was diagnosed it took nothing for me to pass out anywhere.
I'd say turn on some soothing music, the ac, or the blowing fan heat.
Hope that helps you.

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - retired_guy - 09-21-2014

Hi High, welcome to the life after not sleeping world.

Sometimes when we start this new stuff we unknowingly obsess a little at the new noises, air pressures, and mostly just having something new and exciting on our face. So we end up not sleeping well, or thinking we aren't sleeping well.

So first of all, how are you feeling in the daytime? Better? Worse? About the same?

....and what have you learned about your therapy? You didn't actually mention what model machine you have, but if possible it would be good to find out how well the machine thinks you did. Important numbers are AHI, and Leak numbers.

At a pressure of 8, it's not likely you're having much if any leak issues, but it's also possible your body doesn't feel like it's getting enough air, and you are "fighting" the machine. That being the case, a small increase in the pressures might solve your problems. But first you need to know how well your machine is controlling your apnea where it's at.

Other than that, you might try using the machine/mask while sitting around in the evening when you're watching tv. That will allow your body and brain things to get used to the idea of all of this, and to not be threatened by it.

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Crist - 09-22-2014

Welcome to the forum Highroller and sorry to hear you are having trouble adjusting.

What you are experiencing sounds similar to my experience. I was so exhausted I could fall asleep sitting upright in a chair at the dining table but once laying down in bed with a mask on it was a different story! I think I was focussing so much on the noises and feel of machine and mask and my breathing that I couldn't slow the brain down enough to drift off.

From night 2 on CPAP I started watching TV or a DVD when I got into bed, I know it isn't ideal or recommended for good sleep hygiene, and I'm the first to acknowledge its not a good habit to get into, but for me it was a distraction and enough of one that it allowed me to get used to using the machine for those first few days to a week and I then found I didn't need it anymore. I don't have a TV in the bedroom so I used my laptop which was good for me as I was able to really reduce the brightness of the screen.

I hope you find a solution soon, good luck.

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Sleepster - 09-22-2014

(09-21-2014, 07:44 PM)Highroller Wrote: I will lay there all night half awake, even if I'm exhausted.

Your doctor should be willing to prescribe something like Ambien as a temporary measure until you get used to CPAP therapy. This is a temporary issue and you will soon find yourself getting better sleep than what you were getting prior to CPAP.

Hang in there ...

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - Highroller - 09-22-2014

From night 2 on CPAP I started watching TV or a DVD when I got into bed, I know it isn't ideal or recommended for good sleep hygiene, and I'm the first to acknowledge its not a good habit to get into, but for me it was a distraction and enough of one that it allowed me to get used to using the machine for those first few days to a week and I then found I didn't need it anymore.

I actually tried that last night and it helped to get me tired enough to want to sleep, when I actually tried going to sleep I laid awake for a little while but actually slept just for a little while, maybe a half hour, so I do think that helps.

Also, from experience can anyone tell me if C flex is going to make a difference with my low pressure of 8CM

RE: Four days into cpap and can't sleep. - trish6hundred - 09-22-2014

Hi Highroller,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are off to a rough start with CPAP therapy, but I encourage you to stick with it.
You might try masking up and using your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv, to help your brain get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there and just keep on trying, it does get better.
Best of luck to you.