Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Can I use a blank SD card? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Can I use a blank SD card? (/Thread-CPAP-Can-I-use-a-blank-SD-card)

Can I use a blank SD card? - Juanito - 09-22-2014

Can I put a blank formatted SD card into my ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP? When I send my SD card to my CPAP provider for compliance purposes, I don't have any data for the period until the card returns. So I am hoping a blank card will let me save that data.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - surferdude2 - 09-22-2014

Yes, I have done that without any issues. I formatted the one that came with the S9 when I first got it to see if it was user friendly. No problem.

BTW...Welcome

EDIT: I think it won't take anything other than a 2gig or 4gig. I haven't tried partitioning a larger SD card down to 2 or 4 gig..might work. Another rainy day project.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - trish6hundred - 09-22-2014

Hi Juanito,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You shouldn't have any problem doing that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - bwexler - 09-22-2014

Yes it will work.
I would probably format the blank, put it in my machine in the AM, take a short nap with the new card, wait a couple hours so it has time to write the data and send the new card in for compliance. You can than put the original back in the machine and go on your merry way without loosing one Byte.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - archangle - 09-22-2014

(09-22-2014, 06:29 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: EDIT: I think it won't take anything other than a 2gig or 4gig. I haven't tried partitioning a larger SD card down to 2 or 4 gig..might work. Another rainy day project.

Pretty much any size SD or SDHC card 2GB or greater will work. The S9 machine may ask if it should format the card.

PRS1 or S9 machines won't use the extra space on the card, but they do usually work.

ResMed says SDHC cards won't work, but many of us have use them with no problem.

There are some safety regulation issues with using cards other than the ones supplied by the manufacturers. There are specifications in the safety standards that require things like spacing between live components and the user's finger, especially for medical equipment. Probably not a real hazard due to the voltages and other parts of the design, but it's in the standards.

Even the right SD cards have fairly high failure rates. SD cards are also bad about Card A won't work in Machine B, even though the specs say they should.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - surferdude2 - 09-22-2014

(09-22-2014, 08:41 PM)archangle Wrote: Pretty much any size SD or SDHC card 2GB or greater will work. The S9 machine may ask if it should format the card.

Ah so, thanks for that. Much easier to get the bigger cards.

Even the right SD cards have fairly high failure rates. SD cards are also bad about Card A won't work in Machine B, even though the specs say they should.

Yep, They remind me of 3 1/2" floppies, same issues.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - bwexler - 09-22-2014

3 1/2" Diskets were never floppy.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - justMongo - 09-22-2014

(09-22-2014, 09:47 PM)bwexler Wrote: 3 1/2" Diskets were never floppy.

Ah, Grasshopper. Open one up and tell me what you see.

RE: Can I use a blank SD card? - Galactus - 09-24-2014

(09-22-2014, 09:47 PM)bwexler Wrote: 3 1/2" Diskets were never floppy.
Nor disk shaped for that matter.

And while we're at it-
IBM ThinkPads don't think, or come with pads.
Zip Drives have no Zippers
Jazz Drives don't play Jazz
USB Keys have no locks to open
We drive on the parkway and park in the driveway.
SurferDude2 doesn't surf anymore
Is Retired Guy really retired?
Is there an A or C wexler?
Is JustMongo not just mongo? Or is he a just mongo?

I shall not linger here any longer lest I digress. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.