Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleep Debt Revenge? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleep Debt Revenge? (/Thread-Sleep-Debt-Revenge)

Pages: 1 2

Sleep Debt Revenge? - Daso - 10-03-2014

Hello All, After having been diagnosed with mild-moderate sleep apnea (AHI 6) and getting the Resmed S9 autoset, I decided to get a glidewell silent nite fitted at dentist to try that route as I just couldn't get a confortable nights sleep with the cpap. Here is my question. I have been using a contec pulse oxymeter to monitor/record my o2 levels during sleep (which had briefly dropped into the 80's without cpap or MAD) and although I know this is not definitive have had a steady series of 1 week with spo2 levels fluctuationg from 92%-95% and no lower. I started using theGlidewell MAD last week I have been sleeping heavily, dreaming consistently most nights and not waking up like I used to. I felt pretty good for the past week, then suddenly starting yesterday aftrenoon, all my weird exhaution issues started hitting me again and I was dragging the whole evening. When I went to sleep I woke up at 3 am because my 4 year old called for me and felt a level of disorientation and exhaustio which alarmed me so much I couldn't go back to sleep for a while. This morning, I'm dragging and already put down 3 cups of coffee. Sorry for being long winded, but regardless of CPAP or MAD, have others experienced this evil sudden return of symptoms just as their body seemed to gain a little improvement. This really dampens my excitement at feeling more rested and energetic (which I have felt for the past week).

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - me50 - 10-03-2014

I am curious about how long you were actively using CPAP therapy.

There are ups and downs with any therapy/treatment for any illness, etc. A lot of factors can change day to day sleep quality, etc. Are you taking medication on a regular basis and if so, what kind of medication? Have you started and/or stopped any medications recently? Any new stress or any stress in your life right now? Any other changes?

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - Buckeyedog - 10-03-2014

When I started back in May, seemed like I was really really tired pretty much through June and into July. Just yawning and feeling even more tired than usual. Then it just kind of started getting better. My theory is that my body was getting good sleep for the first time in forever and now it was craving it. Have no idea at all if that's the case, but it makes sense to me!! So yes, this journey can be goofy at times. Good luck and hang in there.

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - retired_guy - 10-03-2014

You'll have some back and forth stuff as you go along. I really don't know about the denture appliance things, as to how well they work, but I've been told they can be somewhat effective. The difference between what you can do with an appliance and what you can do with the S9 to me it seems to be the difference between somewhat effective and very effective. I personally opt for very effective. But, if you are receiving benefit from the appliance, don't fret over one or two crummy nights. They'll get better. At least I think so...

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - Daso - 10-03-2014

(10-03-2014, 09:44 AM)me50 Wrote: I am curious about how long you were actively using CPAP therapy.

There are ups and downs with any therapy/treatment for any illness, etc. A lot of factors can change day to day sleep quality, etc. Are you taking medication on a regular basis and if so, what kind of medication? Have you started and/or stopped any medications recently? Any new stress or any stress in your life right now? Any other changes?

I used the cpap for 3 weeks and I just woke up constantly because of the hose. Stress is a daily part of work, so that's a constant. I do take cingulair for allergies and acid reducer for stomach. I do take into account the beginning of seasonal changes but it's still a bit early.

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - me50 - 10-03-2014

(10-03-2014, 03:19 PM)Daso Wrote:
(10-03-2014, 09:44 AM)me50 Wrote: I am curious about how long you were actively using CPAP therapy.

I used the cpap for 3 weeks and I just woke up constantly because of the hose. Stress is a daily part of work, so that's a constant. I do take cingulair for allergies and acid reducer for stomach. I do take into account the beginning of seasonal changes but it's still a bit early.

What was it about the hose that kept waking you up? We may be able to offer you ideas to make that better. 3 weeks isn't necessarily long enough with CPAP to see improvement as you probably have a lot of banked sleep deprevation to overcome.

I would encourage you to continue with CPAP therapy and when you have problems and/or concerns, come here for help. I doubt that you will face anything that someone here hasn't experienced and can help you through it.

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - Buckeyedog - 10-03-2014

Another note. I used to have acid almost nightly. Since I've been on the machine, it's almost non existent. Not sure why, but I'm liking it.

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - retired_guy - 10-03-2014

(10-03-2014, 03:19 PM)Daso Wrote: I used the cpap for 3 weeks and I just woke up constantly because of the hose. Stress is a daily part of work, so that's a constant. I do take cingulair for allergies and acid reducer for stomach. I do take into account the beginning of seasonal changes but it's still a bit early.

(10-03-2014, 04:15 PM)Buckeyedog Wrote: Another note. I used to have acid almost nightly. Since I've been on the machine, it's almost non existent. Not sure why, but I'm liking it.

Well, the "waking up constantly" is probably something that could have been addressed and overcome. But your decision was to bench the cpap and go with a dental appliance. So good luck with that.

For most of us we did have some adjusting to do and got lots of help in the beginning to make that a possibility. For me, I cannot imagine a universe in which I would not want to use the machine now.

..and Bucky's right about the gerd/acid stuff. I took Prilosec every day for at least 4 years before starting cpap. Before that I took lots of other things to try to control my heartburn/gerd/acid reflux, whatever. The test where they stick a camera down your gullet? It showed a rather nasty ulcer just waiting to go completely crazy go nutz. After a very short time being treated with cpap, I found I no longer needed the Prilosec. That's been quite a while now, and no sign whatsoever of any heartburn/gerd/acid reflux, or crazy go nutz ulcer. That was just one of many benefits to me of cpap therapy.

There are many other benefits too, like being able to breath through my nose, being able to sleep on my back, not keeping the greater metropolitan area awake with my snoring, and oh yeah, not falling asleep behind the wheel of my car, or in my cheerios.

RE: Sleep Debt Revenge? - archangle - 10-03-2014

The purists say there is no such thing as sleep debt.

A lot of new CPAP'ers report something that sounds a lot like sleep debt, whatever the explanation is.

My personal speculation is that your body got used to apnea to some extend and adjusted your chemistry, hormones, neurology, brain, etc. to compensate. When you get rid of the apnea, O2 starvation, sleep disturbances, stress, and hormones, your body is out of kilter and all the changes it made to deal with apnea are now disturbing you. I think of it as something like withdrawal from alcohol, smoking, prescription (or illegal) drugs, etc.

Maybe it's a sign your dental device is working, maybe not.

Reflux - archangle - 10-03-2014

It would make sense to me if struggling to get breath against a closed airway would tend to suck or force acid up from your stomach. I had a similar reflux type effect when I had my CPAP machine set wrong.

On the other hand, CPAP could also increase GERD if it dilates your esophagus and stomach.