Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Remstar pro trial mode - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Remstar pro trial mode (/Thread-Remstar-pro-trial-mode)

Remstar pro trial mode - Dan04 - 10-13-2014

I have a Remstar Pro Auto System One and I need it to stay on trial mode. I have a rare medical condition that requires this. On trial mode I have fairly normal blood pressure and when the system sets after the trial my bp is very high. The system always sets way too high after the trial mode. I am good around 11 and the system sets at 15 to 15 1/2. I called the supplier I ordered the system from and they said this site could tell me how to set it to stay on trial mode. Thanks

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - retired_guy - 10-13-2014

Hi Dan,

It's interesting your supplier referred you here for assistance. But we're glad to have you aboard.

I don't know your machine, but I suspect "trial mode" is just another way of referring to the "ramp" setting.

What happens with "Ramp," is when you first turn the machine on it will slowly increase pressure until it reaches a therapy point, which is the pressure it thinks you should have for your settings.

You can set the machine to top out at 11 instead of 15 if that's what you are trying to do. From the top of the page, go to the section for downloading the clinician manual.

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - trish6hundred - 10-13-2014

Hi Dan04,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question about your machine but hang in there and someone will be along to help you, soon.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - Dan04 - 10-13-2014

Trial mode is a constant readjustment of pressure to find the right average setting. I need to know how to keep it in trial mode. If anyone knows how please let me know. Thanks

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - retired_guy - 10-13-2014

That's called "autoset" these days. Apparently your machine is set to it's version of autoset with a minimum pressure of 11 and a maximum of 15. At least that's what your sidebar indicates.

"Constant readjustment" means when the machine detects an apnea, it will increase the pressure to a point where the apnea's are being eliminated. You do not set that. It's what the machine does. You do not do anything to make it do that.

You can on the other hand keep it from doing that by setting the machine to cpap mode and telling it to only use a specific pressure. Such as 11.

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - archangle - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 12:02 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Dan,

It's interesting your supplier referred you here for assistance. But we're glad to have you aboard.

I don't know your machine, but I suspect "trial mode" is just another way of referring to the "ramp" setting.

What happens with "Ramp," is when you first turn the machine on it will slowly increase pressure until it reaches a therapy point, which is the pressure it thinks you should have for your settings.

You can set the machine to top out at 11 instead of 15 if that's what you are trying to do. From the top of the page, go to the section for downloading the clinician manual.

No, Auto-trial mode is a form of Auto mode for a limited amount of time, theoretically a total of 30 days.

Dan, you may be able to simply set the manual pressure to a pressure that works right for you. The Auto CPAP doesn't always find the right pressure. You can simply set it into manual CPAP mode and keep it at 11 if that's what works best for you. Change the mode setting from Auto-Trial to CPAP.

Download the SleepyHead software and you can check the results for yourself to see how well it's treating your apnea.

You can get the CPAP setup manuals from the link at the top of the page. If you do the "Reset data" function, it will erase all your data, and I believe it will give you another 30 days of auto trial, but I believe it only resets the 30 day trial 5 times, and then you're locked out. Early versions of the Pro model would let you reset it forever, but my understanding is that newer versions only let you do that 5 times.

If you need auto mode forever, you need a real APAP machine.

Is there any reason you think you need Auto or will simply setting it to 11 work for you? It's possible that you actually need 15 part of the night, but if 15 all the time causes high BP, that's a concern.

What does your doctor think about this?

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - zonk - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:45 AM)Dan04 Wrote: I called the supplier I ordered the system from and they said this site could tell me how to set it to stay on trial mode. Thanks
From Supplier #1: Smart Technology Modes

The smart technology of Auto-Trial Mode and CPAP-Check Mode offer up to 30 nights of auto adjusting capability. During that period of use the system functions as an Auto CPAP delivering an adaptive pressure on a breath by breath basis. Following the set time of the Auto-Trial mode, the machine functions as a CPAP delivering the pressure that the patient was at or below 90% of the time.

The CPAP-Check mode continuously verifies pressure requirements and makes adjustments after every 30 hours of use providing the user with more effective pressure levels over time. An Auto-Trial mode must be a minimum of 3 nights in length. The entire available 30 nights of Auto-Trial do not need to be used continuously.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT an Auto CPAP Machine. It functions as an Auto CPAP during Auto-Trial Mode and switches to CPAP mode during CPAP-Check mode

Example of Auto-Trial and CPAP-Check Modes:

The PR System One 60 Series Pro was set in Auto-Trial mode for 5 nights of use. During that time the machine functioned as an auto-titrating machine, adjusting the pressure breath by breath basis, all night long. At the end of 5 nights of use the Auto-Trial mode ended and, in this example, the ideal pressure was 10 cm/H2O. The machine moved into the CPAP-Check mode of operation delivering a pressure of 10 cm/H2O. After 30 hours of use the CPAP-Check mode data indicated the pressure needed to be raised. The machine would automatically change the pressure to 11 cm/H2O. Alternately, if the pressure needed to be lowered, the machine would automatically change to 9 cm/H2O. If no pressure adjustment was needed, the pressure would stay at 10 cm/H2O. The CPAP-Check mode would continue every 30 hours to monitor and adjust the pressure as needed. However, the pressure would not be raised or lowered more than 3 cm/H2O off the original pressure. Using the original pressure of 10cm/H2O, the machine would not be lowered below 7 cm/H2O and would not be raised above 13 cm/H2O.

If the machine is placed back into Auto-Trial mode mode to determine a new ideal pressure, the CPAP-Check mode would monitor and change pressure as needed every 30 hours, staying within 3 cm/H2O of the new ideal pressure.

The machine does not need to be set on CPAP-Check mode, it will go into that mode automatically following Auto-Trial mode. It can be placed on straight CPAP mode, where no pressure checks or adjustments are made.

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - Dan04 - 10-13-2014

Thanks I have learned a lot here in a few messages. This machine in the 3 day trial stays around 11 and at the end of the trial goes to 15. It does not change after that. It highly increases my bp by increasing to 15. This makes me cough all day with a very dry feeling in my lungs. I don't think the 90% of the time average setting is correctly working. What type of machine would change hourly to the setting I need at that time. A true auto c pap. Someone mentioned A Pap, how does that work and what is a good brand and model. Thanks

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - zonk - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 05:13 PM)Dan04 Wrote: A true auto c pap. Someone mentioned A Pap, how does that work and what is a good brand and model. Thanks
Auto-PAP monitor your breathing and adjust pressure throughout the night
Also increase pressure in response to snoring and flow limitation which early signs of an obstructive apnea

The standout APAPs
1- Phillips Respironcis System One Auto 560
2- ResMed S9 AutoSet, not to be confused with the brick S9 Escape Auto

Both machines are supported by free readily available software
SleepyHead for PRS1 Auto
ResScan and SleepyHead for S9 AutoSet
ResScan windows only , SH windows and Mac

RE: Remstar pro trial mode - archangle - 10-15-2014

(10-13-2014, 05:13 PM)Dan04 Wrote: Thanks I have learned a lot here in a few messages. This machine in the 3 day trial stays around 11 and at the end of the trial goes to 15. It does not change after that. It highly increases my bp by increasing to 15. This makes me cough all day with a very dry feeling in my lungs. I don't think the 90% of the time average setting is correctly working. What type of machine would change hourly to the setting I need at that time. A true auto c pap. Someone mentioned A Pap, how does that work and what is a good brand and model. Thanks

Check the links in my signature line for recommendations on good CPAP machines.

Ask your doctor about simply going to 11 cmH2O manual CPAP. Then check your results yourself with the SleepyHead software and be sure it's working.