Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] Newbie question - Setting pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] Newbie question - Setting pressure (/Thread-Pressure-Newbie-question-Setting-pressure)

Newbie question - Setting pressure - powernapper - 10-14-2014

Hey! Great forum!

I am a newbie with sleep apnea. Bought a Remstar Pro C-Flex and comfortgel full mask from craigslist. I am definitely a mouth breather.

The pressure setting was set at 10 and it seemed a bit overwhelming to me as this was the very first time I EVER used a cpap.

I turned the pressure down to 6 and it seemed not to freak me out so bad. I did manage to get to sleep, but I am not sure if I benefitted from my first experience. I am doing this on my own - can't afford a proper sleep study...

I notice many of you are using much higher pressures. Where is a good place to begin?

Thank you in advance,

Powernapper

RE: Newbie question - Buckeyedog - 10-14-2014

You need to get the software so you can see the results, then go from there. Lot's of help on here, but they need to see the data.

RE: Newbie question - trish6hundred - 10-14-2014

Hi powernapper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions to help you along.
Best of luck to you as you start CPAP therapy.

RE: Newbie question - retired_guy - 10-14-2014

I think the first thing you should do is get the Clinician's manual for your machine. It will describe the options and how to set them. You can download it from the link at the top of the page for manuals. I believe your machine is the "Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Pro with C-flex+". Go down the list until you find that name in the "available by email" listings.

RE: Newbie question - powernapper - 10-14-2014

Is the "Clinician's" manual the same thing as the "user" manual? - because I DO have the user manual...

RE: Newbie question - PaytonA - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 01:07 PM)powernapper Wrote: Is the "Clinician's" manual the same thing as the "user" manual? - because I DO have the user manual...

No, the clinician's manual is much more in depth regarding settings and other machine parameters including how to access the "secret" menus that allow you to change your own settings. As far as I am concerned it is much more informative than the User's manual. The user's manual is written for all of us "stupid" people that use these machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Newbie question - powernapper - 10-14-2014

Thank you Mr. PaytonA!

RE: Newbie question - zonk - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:27 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 01:07 PM)powernapper Wrote: Is the "Clinician's" manual the same thing as the "user" manual? - because I DO have the user manual...

No, the clinician's manual is much more in depth regarding settings and other machine parameters including how to access the "secret" menus that allow you to change your own settings. As far as I am concerned it is much more informative than the User's manual. The user's manual is written for all of us "stupid" people that use these machines.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
The front page of the provider guide begin with this instruction:
IMPORTANT! Remove this guide before giving the device to the patient. Only medical professionals should adjust pressure settings