Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset (/Thread-Humidifier-not-working-on-ResMed-S9-autoset)

Pages: 1 2

Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - guessagain - 10-19-2014

Hello everyone.
My dad just purchased the same CPAP machine as I have - the ResMed S9 Autoset. However his machine has a special hose connection to allow his oxygen line to be connected.

His problem: he cannot get his humidifier working. I suspect it is because of the special fitting for the oxygen - when he unplugs the hose from the CPAP machine it shows the humidifier setting (which is set at "6" which is the highest setting) but as soon as the hose is connected to the CPAP machine the humidifier setting goes away on the screen and something called "climate control" shows up which is set at 70 deg. I am guessing the humidifier will not work with "climate control".

Can someone help us out here?

Thanks

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - MAPnea - 10-19-2014

Hi, guessagain,

I use oxygen with my ResMed S9 Autoset but my oxygen "port" connects at the end of the hose where the mask connects. So my oxygen port fits between my mask and hose - not between the hose and my CPAP machine. Maybe this will help, maybe it won't. If it doesn't help, I'm sure someone else will come along that can help.

I'm glad you're trying to help your Dad with his CPAP machine. It will be nice for him to have your support!

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - becker44a - 10-19-2014

(10-19-2014, 09:02 PM)guessagain Wrote: Hello everyone.
My dad just purchased the same CPAP machine as I have - the ResMed S9 Autoset. However his machine has a special hose connection to allow his oxygen line to be connected.

His problem: he cannot get his humidifier working. I suspect it is because of the special fitting for the oxygen - when he unplugs the hose from the CPAP machine it shows the humidifier setting (which is set at "6" which is the highest setting) but as soon as the hose is connected to the CPAP machine the humidifier setting goes away on the screen and something called "climate control" shows up which is set at 70 deg. I am guessing the humidifier will not work with "climate control".

Thanks

Hi guessagain,
You have not mentioned which type of hose your Dad is using. If it is a heated (Climateline) hose, the connection at the humidifier is where the power is supplied to heat the hose. The humidifier automatically senses when the Climateline hose is attached, and adjusts the menus accordingly. If you use a "standard" hose (22mm diameter) or Slimline (15mm diameter), there is no electrical connection involved.

I would think that an oxygen port adapter cannot be used as you are describing with the Climateline, only with the Standard or Slimline hoses.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - PaytonA - 10-19-2014

I believe that oxygen can be used with the Climateline tubing. My Mirage Quattro has a place in the mask for an oxygen hook-up and I have read where others have said that they obtained a fitting that goes between the mask end of the hose and the mask that allows oxygen hook-up.

I think the oxygen should be introduced near to the mask not near to the humidifier or CPAP.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - zonk - 10-19-2014

(10-19-2014, 09:02 PM)guessagain Wrote: I am guessing the humidifier will not work with "climate control".

Thanks
The humidifier works with "climate control", there are two modes: auto and manual. ClimateLine user instructions:
http://www.resmed.com/ap/assets/documents/product/climateline/user_instructions/368715r2_climateline-climatelinemax_user-instructions_glo_eng.pdf

The ClimateLineMAX Oxy tube includes a smart connector at the device end of the tube, which allows supplemental oxygen to mix with humidified air before it reaches the mask. So you don't need to spend time connecting separate oxygen tubing or adding another humidifier
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/hospital/products/accessories/climateline-climatelinemax-and-climatelinemax-oxy.html

From Supplier #1 ClimateLine Max Oxy Air Tubing with Supplemental Oxygen Port $51.00
[Image: climateline-max-oxy-oxygen-port-resmed.jpg]

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - Webbie73 - 10-20-2014

Iam guessing that the humidifier is in auto mode and not manual mode, hence just the temperature display.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - justMongo - 10-20-2014

(10-19-2014, 10:38 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-19-2014, 09:02 PM)guessagain Wrote: I am guessing the humidifier will not work with "climate control".

Thanks
The humidifier works with "climate control", there are two modes: auto and manual. ClimateLine user instructions:
http://www.resmed.com/ap/assets/documents/product/climateline/user_instructions/368715r2_climateline-climatelinemax_user-instructions_glo_eng.pdf

The ClimateLineMAX Oxy tube includes a smart connector at the device end of the tube, which allows supplemental oxygen to mix with humidified air before it reaches the mask. So you don't need to spend time connecting separate oxygen tubing or adding another humidifier
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/hospital/products/accessories/climateline-climatelinemax-and-climatelinemax-oxy.html

From Supplier #1 ClimateLine Max Oxy Air Tubing with Supplemental Oxygen Port $51.00

Neat, I didn't know they had that... I'm going to order one ASAP.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - PaytonA - 10-20-2014

I do not need the oxygen but that is really good to know.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - guessagain - 10-20-2014

(10-19-2014, 10:38 PM)zonk Wrote:

Thanks

Yes he has that fitting I think. When you say "device end" are referring to the Cpap end or the mask end? And why wouldn't the humidifier work in auto mode? (The temp setting for climate control is "70").
Does anyone know if his hose type could be "slimline" with the climate control hose? I found out from his supplier that he does have the climate control. Tubing looks like regular size to me but his machine is set to "slimline".
They also have the mask type setting set to "pillow" but his mask is "full face" type mask. As much as these medical device suppliers charge one would think they would make sure the settings were correct before they sent a patient home with it? I am waiting on one of their nurses to call me because the person I got on the phone at his supplier couldn't answer my questions.

RE: Humidifier not working on ResMed S9 autoset - PaytonA - 10-20-2014

I can't answer which end is the device end. I am not familiar with that particular climateline hose.

If the climateline hose is connected and the control is set to "auto", the machine will automatically control the humidity to 80% at whatever temperature is set. If the air coming from the room is already at 80% RH then the system will not add any humidity. What your body requires is the absolute humidity which can be raised in the auto mode by increasing the temperature. Warmer air will hold more water at the same RH (relative humidity).

The other option is to switch to manual climate control where one can set humidity and temperature manually but then one loses the rainout protection of the auto mode.

If the climateline hose is not hooked up to the machine it may show slimline but as soon as you hook the hose to the humidifier the slimline and standard hose options will not appear.

This info is from my memory of the little that I have used the climateline so far and from the manual.

Best Regards,

PaytonA