Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 (/Thread-Equipment-How-to-get-DME-to-exchange-wrong-size-headgear-for-ResMed-AirFit-N10)

How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 - Sunnyside - 11-07-2014

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your current DME rep exchange
the headgear for the ResMed AirFit N10 (nasal) mask? I met him 2 weeks ago and showed him the problem with my headgear being too large. I was issued a regular size nasal mask with headgear and I just could not tighten the straps enough to eliminate the air the was coming out during therapy. The straps have velcro closures and once you reach a certain point that's it.
I made a follow up call one week later, last friday, and asked him about the order status of the headgear, and he said that it had not come in yet. Today I called in to check on the mask, now 2 weeks later, and the office was closed until Monday. I called the main office, and they have no record of the order.
Well, to make a long story shorter, I found a smaller size headgear on Ebay and ordered it for $26.00 with free shipping. It's actually the female version. I received it within 4 days, which was Monday. I am so thrilled that I finally have a mask that fits properly with no more air in the face leaks. It was brand new and sealed in a bag with the ResMed logo on it.
What is the deal with DME's? Not so thrilled to have to shell out more money for something that should be covered by insurance. The same person tried to tell me that the smaller size is not available, when I saw it on ResMed's website which I made sure that he knew about that. He did find it on there and said he would order one for me. However, I would have to return the old one to get the smaller size. He also told me that there was a limit on times that I could get an exchange. Is this the norm?
I was issued one of the newest machines out, the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset, which is quite nice and very quiet. Thank goodness I didn't receive one of the older machines.
Thanks everyone for all your helpful posts, especially for us newbies!

RE: How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 - ttexan - 11-07-2014

I guess it might depend on how long you used the original mask before meeting the DME to show him. My DME gave me one week to confirm the size of my mask and agreed to exchange without cost during that week. As I understand, returned masks cannot be resold (I certainly would not want one that had been used before!!), to the DME has to absorb the cost of any replacements, thus the short time allowed to confirm size.

However, if you got out of this issue for only $26, I think you are lucky.

RE: How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 - trish6hundred - 11-08-2014

Hi Sunnyside,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes, you just have to keep calling the DME 'til you get what you want.
It's good that you finally found the headgear that fits you and that you like your machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: How to get DME to exchange wrong size headgear for ResMed AirFit N10 - Mike1953 - 11-08-2014

I believe all manufactures have a 30 day exchange policy. Your DME just has to do a little paperwork to do the exchange.