Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How to know when you no longer need it - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How to know when you no longer need it (/Thread-How-to-know-when-you-no-longer-need-it)

Pages: 1 2

How to know when you no longer need it - rbclark68 - 11-20-2014

For some reason I just cant fall asleep at a sleep study so a lot of my 10 years with CPAP have been by trial and error. Currently using the S9 set at 7-14 full ERP.

Over the last year I have lost 90lbs so trying to figure out if I need a CPAP but since I cant fall asleep at a study I am stuck. I have a full year of data to view on Rescan and wonder what everyone thinks.

For the year have the following

Apnea index 0.1
Obstructive 0.1
Central 0
unknown 0

AHI 0.2
Hyponea index 0.1

Thanks for any thoughts

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - surferdude2 - 11-20-2014

Welcome That limited amount of data will not make it possible for anyone to tell you much about whether you need the CPAP machine or not. I suspect you do but would need to see some actual session pressure readings and better yet some actual graphs of a typical sleep session of late. You'll need to install the Sleepyhead or ResScan software to get that data.

It looks like you have an S9 AutoSet machine so you should correct that in your profile so others may be able to help you quicker.

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - retired_guy - 11-20-2014

There really isn't any way to know without some sort of monitoring, be it in-house or at home. You could just stop using the machine I suppose and see if your heart gets worse or something.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're doing fine with the therapy, so why rock the boat?

I know for me that even though my average ahi is always below 1, and most frequently zero, I would not dream of giving up the machine and possibly returning to that from whence I came. But that's just me. I like not falling asleep while driving and all that sort of stuff.

But as I say, everyone's different. Except me of course. I'm not different. I'm the same.

Uploading a screenshot of your ResScan graphs and readings of a recent session to some graphics hosting site such as "TinyPic" or PhotoBucket and then posting the link to it back here will help a great deal in getting you an answer.

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - rbclark68 - 11-20-2014

tinypic.com/r/dcxx8w/8

Thanks

I'll bring it here for you. Now you're cookin'

[Image: dcxx8w.jpg]

I'll leave it to those better versed to comment on any titration or setting changes but you can be sure you actually need the CPAP therapy if you have been diagnosed with apnea and want to avoid the bad things that happen to people with untreated apnea.

It doesn't go away unless you have done somethig to help it along, like reduce, change sleep positions, get an operation or maybe use some other device for relief such as a mandibular displacement device.

Stick around and someone will help you further pretty soon.

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - zonk - 11-20-2014

Congrats on the weight loss and the excellent numbers
Those excellent numbers are the ones that slipped through, we don't know how many that been prevented by the machine, my guess are many

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - rbclark68 - 11-20-2014

Thanks. Trying a crash course on the ResScan, is there a good graph to show prevented Apneas?

RE: How to know when you no longer need it - trish6hundred - 11-20-2014

Hi rbclark68,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, I wouldn't be too quick to give up the CPAP therapy, much success to you.