Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Red ring around face - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Red ring around face (/Thread-Red-ring-around-face)

Pages: 1 2

Red ring around face - brianwood619 - 12-01-2014

Has anyone had a problem with a red ring around their face where the cpap mask sits. I have been on pap therapy for three years and never had this. Mask tension has not changed, pressure has not changed but oddly about four days ago you can visibly see the ring around my face where the mask sits at night. It doesnt itch or anything, nothing else has changed,,,,any ideas why all of the sudden this has started, and yes you can see it all day long

RE: Red ring around face - justMongo - 12-01-2014

Doesn't sound like an allergic reaction. Perhaps more like a bruise. Your clotting factors may have changed due to medications such as aspirin.

On the lighter side, you have a guide to place your mask in the same place each night!

or, as Paula would say -- Aliens! Look for a red Sharpie marker.

RE: Red ring around face - becker44a - 12-01-2014

(12-01-2014, 01:44 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: Has anyone had a problem with a red ring around their face where the cpap mask sits. I have been on pap therapy for three years and never had this. Mask tension has not changed, pressure has not changed but oddly about four days ago you can visibly see the ring around my face where the mask sits at night. It doesnt itch or anything, nothing else has changed,,,,any ideas why all of the sudden this has started, and yes you can see it all day long

Hi Brian,
Yes, I'm struggling with a similar issue. I am also having skin issues with little white pockets, etc in the affected area, and haven't had such for many years. I'm washing my face now morning and evening, and seems to alleviate the breakout issues somewhat, but the redness is still present. I'll be interested if you find any solution to this, and I'll post if I find something.

RE: Red ring around face - PaulaO2 - 12-01-2014

Is this a new mask? If it is, wash it really well, and your face, but don't put anything on your face prior to bed.

If it is not a new mask, it could be a simple contact allergy. Did you change soap or maybe get into a hurry to clean and didn't rinse as well? I've done that a few times. Nasal pillows are NOT a good thing to give yourself a rash with. Again, rinse everything again, including your face.

Another thing to try is to take an old tshirt, one as soft as possible, and cut out the shape of the mask. Make it bigger than the mask is wide and then cut a hole in the inside for your nose (and mouth if FFM). Test if prior to sleeping to make sure the set up will work. Trim it if there is any flapping and avoid wrinkles between you and the mask. If it is comfortable, wear this for a few nights to see if it helps with the irritation.

RE: Red ring around face - PaytonA - 12-01-2014

You might also try washing the cushions daily, if you are not already doing so.

RE: Red ring around face - brianwood619 - 12-01-2014

The mask is only two months old and gets washed every morning with mild soap and water (same soap i have used since starting pap)
The mask, tube and water reservoir get sanitized with the so-clean machine also. Everything is kept, just can't figure why my face is doing this after all this time. It does not itch, and there is no discomfort wearing the mask.

RE: Red ring around face - zonk - 12-01-2014

For me, this will tell me, time to visit the barber for a haircut

As for cleaning, I wash the cushion in the shower each morning and not much fussy about the rest

Mask liner is good idea, remzzz, pad a cheek or diy ones

RE: Red ring around face - PaytonA - 12-01-2014

(12-01-2014, 04:56 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: The mask is only two months old and gets washed every morning with mild soap and water (same soap i have used since starting pap)
The mask, tube and water reservoir get sanitized with the so-clean machine also. Everything is kept, just can't figure why my face is doing this after all this time. It does not itch, and there is no discomfort wearing the mask.

Just the fact that it has not happened before does not mean that it is not an allergic reaction nor does the fact that it does not itch. I think the mask liner would well be worth a try,

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Red ring around face - brianwood619 - 12-05-2014

Cortisone 10 maximum strength cream over three days made the ring go away, so it was a mild reaction to whatever since it responded to steroid therapy.

RE: Red ring around face - Remo - 01-02-2015

(12-05-2014, 02:17 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: Cortisone 10 maximum strength cream over three days made the ring go away, so it was a mild reaction to whatever since it responded to steroid therapy.

Ironically, I have nearly the identical scenario going on too. My reddness started in early to mid-December. Found this thread by searching "rash."

I normally wash my mask daily, with a mild dish soap (same brand for the last 2 years, however the rash started after starting a new bottle. So one thought I have had is that perhaps the formula for the dish soap may have changed.)

I started using the Cortisone 10 (regular strength) two days ago, and it does seem to fade the redness out some by the end of the day but the next morning it is back in full bright redness.

Last night I washed my mask with white vinegar and skipped the normal dish soap - face ring is just a red this morning. If the soap is the issue, it may take a couple more nights to see if this helps.

After reading this, I guess I will go on a hunt for "extra stregnth" version of the Cortisone 10 cream and will look for something I can use as a "mask liner."

Any additional ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks & Happy New Year!