Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dealing with Nasal Irritation - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dealing with Nasal Irritation (/Thread-Dealing-with-Nasal-Irritation)

Pages: 1 2

Dealing with Nasal Irritation - Lambsydoats - 12-03-2014

Do you experience any irritation with the nose pillows at first?

If so, what remedy (remedies) have you discovered to alleviate the discomfort?

Lamb

RE: Outstanding DME! - Galactus - 12-03-2014

I have from time to time been irritated by the nasal pillows on the P10.

The recommendation on the board overall is HPA Lanolin. I have successfully used it as well as Colloidal oatmeal, cocoa butter cream, and some other skin care products. Most will say it is important to stay away from placing any of the petroleum based products INSIDE your nostrils, and that is why they use all the other items rather than say Vaseline and the like. However if you use the others topically and refrain from putting it inside the nostrils many other products also work well.

I should add that overall after the initial irritation it goes away and is only sporadic.

RE: Outstanding DME! - PaytonA - 12-03-2014

I could easily be mis-remembering this but it seems to me that I remember that petroleum based products were potentially damaging to the plastic the pillows are made from. That seemed plausible to me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Outstanding DME! - Crimson Nape - 12-03-2014

I'm sorry to say that I can tell from experience that the P10 nasal pillow frame is made from a low temp plastic. You can't use heat (like boiling water) to sterilize them. You will have 2 silicone nasal pillows mounted on a blob!

RE: Outstanding DME! - PaulaO2 - 12-03-2014

I'm using Ayr gel to help with nasal irritation. I needed it once and couldn't find the lanosil stuff but the pharmacist suggested I try the Ayr instead. It is just a saline gel. I used it that night, did wonders.

Oh, and a month or so later, I needed it again in the middle of the night. I forgot what kind of container it came in and thought I had the right one 'cause it said 'Ayr' on it. I put some on a finger and rubbed it up my sore nostril. About three seconds later, I was screaming. It was a menthol something to use for colds. You were to put it UNDER the nose, not in it. I used the nasal rinse to wash it all out. Lessons learned? One, make sure your significant other keeps their crap on their shelf in the bathroom and not your shelf. And two, take your glasses with you wherever you go.

RE: Outstanding DME! - Galactus - 12-03-2014

(12-03-2014, 04:49 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I could easily be mis-remembering this but it seems to me that I remember that petroleum based products were potentially damaging to the plastic the pillows are made from. That seemed plausible to me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I can't say what they actually say, but I have used Vaseline on them with no harm in the past. Though I agree it may not be the recommended thing to do.

(12-03-2014, 07:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm using Ayr gel to help with nasal irritation. I needed it once and couldn't find the lanosil stuff but the pharmacist suggested I try the Ayr instead. It is just a saline gel. I used it that night, did wonders.

Oh, and a month or so later, I needed it again in the middle of the night. I forgot what kind of container it came in and thought I had the right one 'cause it said 'Ayr' on it. I put some on a finger and rubbed it up my sore nostril. About three seconds later, I was screaming. It was a menthol something to use for colds. You were to put it UNDER the nose, not in it. I used the nasal rinse to wash it all out. Lessons learned? One, make sure your significant other keeps their crap on their shelf in the bathroom and not your shelf. And two, take your glasses with you wherever you go.

Oh P02 you made my night and made me laugh, thanks! I needed that.

RE: Outstanding DME! - Lambsydoats - 12-03-2014

Paula, thank you for sharing your experience with(out) Ayr. I appreciate not having to learn first hand on this one.

I keep looking for the like button....

[split] [split] Colds and Nasal Pillows2 - Galactus - 12-04-2014

I actually find my nasal pillow mask helps me breathe better when I have a cold. I had originally thought it would be a major issue, but it actually isn't (for me).

RE: Outstanding DME! - PaytonA - 12-04-2014

(12-03-2014, 11:53 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: I keep looking for the like button....

I think you just hit it.

RE: Outstanding DME! - Galactus - 12-04-2014

(12-03-2014, 11:53 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Paula, thank you for sharing your experience with(out) Ayr. I appreciate not having to learn first hand on this one.

I keep looking for the like button....

I personally have asked, requested, demanded, begged, and pleaded for a like button instead all we have is this crappy thing;

[Image: like.jpg]

It's not as bad as I made it sound but it's no like button Tongue