Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
airsense 10 OVERpressure! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: airsense 10 OVERpressure! (/Thread-airsense-10-OVERpressure)

Pages: 1 2

airsense 10 OVERpressure! - xzostd - 12-06-2014

I'm a new CPAP user with a new airsense 10 using a full resmed Quattro mask . Everything works great until I wake up with the machine running wide open and air blowing out around the mask. This happened the first and second night ,Lincare switched the machine yesterday ....sooo exactly the same problem last night with the new unit. Here are more details: Wake up with air blowing out the mask seals,, the unit is showing 14.6,,,push mask tight to face to stop all leaks and its still 14.6,,take off the hose and its still blowing 14.6,,block the hose still showing 14.6,,unblock and still 14.6. Turn off then on and everything is absolutely normal. I repeated this overpressure event 4 times last night. Readings vary from 12.3 to 14.6 during these events. Have also let the hose blow for 5+ minutes during these events repeating blocking and unblocking putting mask back on etc etc etc with no change.
1 Turning the machine Off then ON always resolves the problem
2 Next event always takes at least an hour but never more than 3 hrs to reoccur
3 After the reset the Machine works great until the next event.
Any Ideas ???? Thanks in advance ,, Bill

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - zonk - 12-06-2014

(12-06-2014, 08:25 AM)xzostd Wrote: 1 Turning the machine Off then ON always resolves the problem
Hello xzostd and welcome

What sort of event: leak or apnea?

The screen only display limited info, you need to download either ResScan or SleepyHead for detailed info and whats going on

Did you had a sleep study? I would set my machine at the recommended pressure as a starting point
I don't believe in wide range setting and let the machine figure it out

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - trish6hundred - 12-06-2014

Hi xzostd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions to help you with your over pressure problem.
Hopefully you can get this straightened out. Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - xzostd - 12-06-2014

(12-06-2014, 04:13 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 08:25 AM)xzostd Wrote: 1 Turning the machine Off then ON always resolves the problem
Hello xzostd and welcome

What sort of event: leak or apnea?

The screen only display limited info, you need to download either ResScan or SleepyHead for detailed info and whats going on

Did you had a sleep study? I would set my machine at the recommended pressure as a starting point
I don't believe in wide range setting and let the machine figure it out

Event = waking to the wide open continuous air which does not stop or alter until machine is turned off

Take home sleep test w AHI of 13 and O2 sats of 83
DR prescribed auto settings of 5 to 20 which tech won't alter without
dr orders

Thanks !!!

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - justMongo - 12-06-2014

You have an auto machine. In response to flow limitation, snoring or obstructive apnea, it raises pressure.
Your machine is set to 5 to 20 cm-H2O pressure.
It is hard, but not impossible to get a good mask seal at top pressures. My pressure will hit 19 most every night.
When you shut off the machine, it restarts at 5. I'd say there's nothing wrong with your machine.
In my case, I have to get the headgear straps rather tight to get a good seal.
If you adjust your mask at pressure = 5, then it would not be good enough at higher pressure.
It would be better if your doc would agree to raising the lower limit to 8 or 10... preventing some pressure raising triggers.

It's not uncommon to start a patient on an auto with the pressure limits set "wide open." The machine then titrates to the needed pressure. People get a more comfortable treatment when the limits are closer together -- once the "sweet-spot" in therapy is established.

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - vsheline - 12-06-2014

(12-06-2014, 05:26 PM)xzostd Wrote: Event = waking to the wide open continuous air which does not stop or alter until machine is turned off

Take home sleep test w AHI of 13 and O2 sats of 83
DR prescribed auto settings of 5 to 20 which tech won't alter without
dr orders

Hi xzostd, welcome to the forum!

Be sure to get a full copy of your sleep report(s), including full data. You have a right to these for your own medical records, and they contain very useful information.

I would encourage you to use the ResMed or SleepyHead software to read your SD memory card, so you can see what is leading up to the pressure increases.

Also, obstructive sleep apnea is usually highly position-dependent. Sleeping on our back is usually the worst position (requiring the machine to raise the pressure the highest).

Are you using the Mask Fit feature?

It is normal for the mask to leak if it was fitted at the low starting pressure instead of using the Mask Fit feature which temporarily increases the pressure so that you can adjust the mask so it will not leak when the pressure gets high.

Also, when adjusting the mask fit it is very important to adjust the strap lengths to be equal between right and left. The bottom right strap should be same length as the bottom left, and the top right strap should be same length as the top left.

Also, you can enable the SmartStart feature, which will turn on the machine when you first breathe into the mask, and will automatically turn off the machine a few seconds after you disconnect the hose or remove the mask.

You can also ask your doctor to temporarily lower the Max Pressure setting to 12 or so, so you can learn to use the machine, and then the pressure can be gradually raised (perhaps by 1 cm H2O per day, or every few days) until it is high enough to prevent your obstructive apneas and hypopneas.

If possible, perhaps you can exchange the standard A10 AutoSet model for the more versatile A10 AutoSet For Her model?

The the standard A10 AutoSet only has two therapy modes (fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode and standard AutoSet therapy mode).

The A10 AutoSet For Her model has those two therapy modes but also has the new gentler AutoSet For Her therapy mode, which raises the pressure more slowly and self-adjusts the Minimum Pressure setting whenever appropriate. Three machines in one.

The A10 AutoSet For Her model also reports more information, because it reports RERA (Respiration Effort-Related Arousal) events, which none of the other AirSense 10 models do.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - justMongo - 12-06-2014

Smart start not recommended for full face mask due to the anti-asphyxia valve.
Might even be greyed out in menu when set for FFM.

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - zonk - 12-06-2014

(12-06-2014, 06:07 PM)justMongo Wrote: Smart start not recommended for full face mask due to the anti-asphyxia valve.
Might even be greyed out in menu when set for FFM.
The later S9 and the new A10, you can enable SmartStart with FFM

As for "AutoSet for Her" algorithm, I'm not sure if works for me as my minimum and maximum pressures are not too far apart and the machine cannot go any higher than I allow it

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - PaytonA - 12-06-2014

xzostd,

Is the ramp set to on on your machine and if it is, is it set for 45 minutes?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: airsense 10 OVERpressure!!!!! - xzostd - 12-07-2014

Thanks for all the info. many different very helpful ideas. You've all helped me increase my knowledge 100% in only 24 hrs. !!!

If I understand correctly I can download a program such as sleepyhead and it will read the data card??? (in a user friendly way?)
Which program is better for a new cpap user. (just barely computer literate !!!)

I did reset my auto settings from 5 -20 to 5-10 no ramping and had a much better night. Leaving this way until Tues. when I have a appointment with the Lincare tech, but will turn on smart start for tonight

I will talk to the tech about the benefit of the Her unit.

Soooo...(set on auto 5-20)if the machine decides I need a 14.6 flow why once i'm awake doesn't it go back to a more normal 5ish flow??? That's why they gave me a different unit (saying it should react faster)

Is it normal to use a full humidifier tank in one night (set on 4)???
Bill