Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Saliva(catarrh) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Saliva(catarrh) (/Thread-Saliva-catarrh)

Saliva(catarrh) - kilbarchan1 - 12-14-2014

Folks what I have also noticed is that through the nite I get a lot of really thick saliva in my throat and mouth and I am constantly clearing it (swallowing) and I am thinking this is also contributing to my snoring
Any thoughts on this on how to reduce ( i already drink tons of water )

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - PaulaO2 - 12-14-2014

Could be post nasal drip as well. Ever tried to do a nasal rinse right before bed?

They make dry mouth products such as biotene. Something like that would help.

But I don't think it would contribute much to the snoring. Nor would it contribute much to causing obstructive apnea events.

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - kilbarchan1 - 12-14-2014

i was thinking if the space between back of my throat is narrower to begin with then coupled with the extra thick saliva I thought that may have been a factor...maybe not
|Isnt Biotene for dry mouth ? not sure if i have that with all the saliva going on

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - trish6hundred - 12-14-2014

Hi kilbarchan1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - PaulaO2 - 12-14-2014

My guess is you are snoring with your mouth open. This will dry out anything in there. If you are drooling in your sleep or you got phlegm back there, it will get thicker and grosser. The biotene, in theory, would add "fresher" saliva and help thin it out.

If you have THAT much gunk in your throat that it would contribute to your sleep apnea, then you need to see a doctor. Seriously.

Would it create a snore? Eh, snoring is just the muscles/tissues flapping/vibrating in the breeze so if the gunk is vibrating, sure, yeah, it could add to the noise. But it would sound like a little kid who needs to cough or blow his nose, not a grown up adult who is snoring.

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - DariaVader - 12-14-2014

I get thick saliva if I sleep with my mouth open and snore. I was *told* for years that this, and my constant sore throat were post nasal drip... I also have a very small throat - could not swallow solid food until age 3; docs wanted to do surgery, but infant surgery risks were pretty high in the 50s and my parents elected not to. As it turns out, in my case the contributing factors to thick gooey saliva are (surprise) apnea, and also chronic candida. I have to treat with antibiotics several times a year as I lack antibodies to the most common bacteria out there for upper resp (pneumococcus) and the result of that is candida overgrowth which i treat with diflucan as necessary. If the candida is under control and I am not mouth breathing (seldom since beginning cpap), voila, no thick gooey saliva and no sore throat.

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - quiescence at last - 12-14-2014

For me, mercifully the dry throat, soreness, and coughing up crap in the morning has all but disappeared once I starting treatment in early Nov. I thought my awful sinus issues were sensitivity to dust and smells. During treatment, I do sometimes awaken feeling pretty stuffed up but take OTC pseudo, antihist, and Tylenol. I am going to try just tyl, or just pseudo, to see if I can get the relief with less.

(12-14-2014, 12:59 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: For me, mercifully the dry throat, soreness, and coughing up crap in the morning has all but disappeared once I starting treatment in early Nov. I thought my awful sinus issues were sensitivity to dust and smells. During treatment, I do sometimes awaken feeling pretty stuffed up but take OTC pseudo, antihist, and Tylenol. I am going to try just tyl, or just pseudo, to see if I can get the relief with less.

mucinex (guaifenisin) works great for those days when the crap is thick, btw. Herbal treatments are fenugreek, mallow, for similar function and for a sinus headache + upper resp, nothing beats a cup of sage tea with a tsp of honey

RE: Saliva(catarrh) - quiescence at last - 12-14-2014

See I don't go for the natural stuff, just the over-engineered man-made drugs for me. But OXYGEN, wow. That is hands down the BEST drug ever!

(12-14-2014, 01:20 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: See I don't go for the natural stuff, just the over-engineered man-made drugs for me. But OXYGEN, wow. That is hands down the BEST drug ever!

Yeah! When I was 19 I had a BF that drove an oxygen truck... that stuff can kick the meanest migraine!!! I think I dated him solely for the pleasure of riding in that truck!