Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Ultra Mirage FFM - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Ultra Mirage FFM (/Thread-Equipment-Ultra-Mirage-FFM)

Ultra Mirage FFM - Sleepster - 12-26-2014

Concerned because of mouth leaks, last night I tried a FFM for the first time ever. It went better than expected but when I checked my data this morning it showed large leaks almost all night, even though the machine showed the smiley face.

The mask is the ResMed Ultra Mirage FFM. Even though I wouldn't normally wear a used mask, this came with a machine I bought several months ago on cl, and it looked so clean I thought I'd save it in case I was ever in a pinch and needed it.

As you face the front of the mask looking at the elbow where the hose attaches, there are two holes at 10:00 and 2:00 about 10 mm away from the elbow. There is one small plastic fitting that screws into either one of the holes and blocks it off. I believe there is supposed to be another for the other hole but it's missing.

These holes appear to be places for attaching oxygen hoses or something? They don't appear to be anti asphyxia valves as this small plastic fitting won't allow air to flow in either direction, plus they are only about 2 mm in diameter. And they are not the exhaust ports as those are located further above.

Anyway, last night both holes were open and I think that's why the leak rate was so high. I can put the plastic fitting over one of the holes, but can I plug the other up with a piece of foam or something?

RE: Ultra Mirage FFM - Crimson Nape - 12-26-2014

I see you went from nasal pillows to a FFM. Did you change the declaration in the S9? In playing with mine, I've found that the machine is more forgiving of leaks when the FFM is declared as opposed to a pillow mask.

RE: Ultra Mirage FFM - Sleepster - 12-26-2014

Yes, I made the change in the S9 menu.

RE: Ultra Mirage FFM - Jack_Russell_Fan - 12-26-2014

I use the Ultra Mirage FFM and have two of them. The two ports on the front are for measuring pressure or other test or monitoring equipment. Both of the holes in my masks have screw in plugs in them.

I use O2, but I introduce that with a swivel tee between the hose and mask.

The anti-asphyxiation valve is located where the elbow meets the mask.

Tom

RE: Ultra Mirage FFM - Ghost1958 - 12-26-2014

Yep those are just pressure test ports or bleeding in O2. I have a nasal with two of those. And a fitlife that has one.

I dont think they are the leak problem though. Ive run both those two masks without the little plugs for a few nights by mistake and the leak difference was negligible with either one.

But if you want to plug em up go ahead. They are meant to be plugged if not being used.

Trust they are not anti aphyxiation openings. There isnt enough air comes thru both to keep a mouse alive for two minutes LOL

RE: Ultra Mirage FFM - Sleepster - 12-26-2014

Thanks for the info, everyone. I guess I could have googled the mask and found out that way, but I was so surprised to see the leak graphs that I wasn't thinking straight.

(12-26-2014, 05:52 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I dont think they are the leak problem though.

Yeah, I was thinking they're too small to account for those leaks, too. I'll give at least one more night's try with the holes plugged and see what happens.