Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mask question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mask question (/Thread-Mask-question)

Pages: 1 2

Mask question - bobrguitar - 12-30-2014

First of all Thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I have used a CPAP for a decade without feeling any less sleepy! I should say that I struggle with Fibromyalgia & Occipital Neuralgia as well.

I have been using pillows for quite a while and really enjoy being less "closed in" However, My new sleep doc determined I would do better w/ a full face mask. I am willing to try so just received the new mask. Tried it last night but ran into some problems. I use a Bipap system w/ ASV. When I got fitted for the new mask I had settings changed (up) Anyway, when I tried the mask the pressure was more than I could bear. However, when I switched to the Swift the pressure "seemed" much less.

My question is .... Why is that?

I appreciate any ideas.

Bob

RE: Mask question - Sleeprider - 12-30-2014

Curious what your doctor saw that would suggest a change in mask systems. In the absence of leaks or evidence of mouth breathing, I don't get it. ASV is capable of pressures and flows those of us with CPAP systems don't experience, so I could be missing something. Interesting question.

RE: Mask question - justMongo - 12-30-2014

I don't know how it works on PR machines -- but on ResMed machines, the mask type must be set in the menu.
Perhaps this is causing your discomfort.

It's not that an ASV is capable of higher flows and pressure. They are used to force ventilate people for whom central apnea is a problem.
Since the airway is open during a central, the machine can inflate the lungs at a timed rate; simulating breathing.

RE: Mask question - trish6hundred - 12-30-2014

Hi bobrguitar,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

RE: Mask question - bobrguitar - 12-30-2014

Thanks for the replies. I am going to chk where the setting is for mask on the cpap machine. As to what the doctor saw... I am not sure . Although I have been using CPAP for 10 yrs I have not been that active a patient. Just did what I was told.

RE: Mask question - justMongo - 12-30-2014

See if your machine's setup manual is available via email. Look for the link at the top that says, "CPAP Setup Manuals."

IIRC: The PR machines do not have a setting by mask type. They have some mask vent rate setting that is a little more abstruse than ResMed saying: Full Face, Nasal, et cetera.

We really need a person familiar with PR machines to get involved in this thread.

RE: Mask question - Peter_C - 12-31-2014

My understanding is if you are not using a PR mask, to leave the setting at the default of zero. The PR machine does not have settings for mask type, but rather each PR mask has a numerical number to input into the machine settings.

Hopefully one of the expert ASV guys will be along shortly.

RE: Mask question - bobrguitar - 01-01-2015

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Turns out you were right - It WAS the Resistance settings (why exactly do I pay my Home Medical Equipment company?) . Anyway... Thanks very much!

RE: Mask question - brianwood619 - 01-01-2015

And then it could be the Asv kicking the pressure up to compensate for apnea

RE: Mask question - Ghost1958 - 01-02-2015

For a standard ffm you can run either 0 resistance setting or you can run X1. X1 can also be ran with most nasal masks. Pillows are where you really get much difference in resistance settings.

They arent based on the vent rate. They are based on the inlet resistance to the mask. Pillows offer more so the machine has to push a higher pressure to get the prescribed pressure into the patient. If a mask has a standard inlet that a regular pap hose hooks onto either 15 mm or 22 mm x1 is fine. As long as the machine knows which size tubing you are using. Or 0. Personally I get a little better numbers running X1 than 0 with the F&P Simplus or Eson