Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Power adapter issues - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Power adapter issues (/Thread-Equipment-Power-adapter-issues)

Power adapter issues - SleepyQwerty - 12-30-2014

So I forgot my power cord & adapter coming back to my parents' house for the holidays from college. A couple nights ago I went through our Bin of Old Electronics and found an adapter that fit my machine. It was rated for 12volts, like my machine says it takes, and 4 amps, whereas my machine says it needs 5 amps. Nonetheless I decided to give it a try and it basically worked (turned off for a second a couple times, but turned back on right away). In the morning the adapter was a little warm but not dangerously hot, and the machine still running. Now, however, with the same adapter/cord/etc it won't work at all (I can't even get the display to light up.) Anyone, maybe someone who knows a little bit about electricity, know what's going on?

RE: Power adapter issues - surferdude2 - 12-30-2014

I think you have hosed the underrated power supply. Since it overheated, it was obviously being stressed beyond its normal limit and even though it continued to work until you turned it off, that doesn't mean it will recover. It likely continued to cook long after you turned it off.

I can't dismiss the possibility of some failure of the CPAP unit but without measuring the output of the PS it will remain a remote possibility.

RE: Power adapter issues - DeepBreathing - 12-30-2014

G'day SleepQwerty, welcome to Apnea Board

From what you tell us, it sounds like you've cooked the power supply by using it beyond its rated capacity. The fact that it shut down twice during the night should be a warning. Is there a fuse in either the power supply or CPAP you can check? Also, did you use the humidifier? From what I can see in the Philips site, the humidifier needs 2.0 to 2.1 amps on its own, so if you just use the blower without the humidifier that power supply might be adequate (provided you haven't already cooked it).

One other issue comes to mind - I have read on this forum that some CPAP machines are sensitive to the quality of the electricity they receive. Cheap adapters may produce a spiky waveform which is not conducive to the health of the sensitive electronic components in the machine. (And I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be covered by warranty either). Best advice is to get hold of a "proper" power supply ASAP.

RE: Power adapter issues - trish6hundred - 12-30-2014

Hi SleepyQwerty,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like the power supply you used was under rated for the task.
Hopefuly, you didn't ruin your machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to youwith getting your machine working.

RE: Power adapter issues - Mike1953 - 12-30-2014

As others have said sounds like your power supply has been fried. The on and off a couple times should have told you it would not work.

RE: Power adapter issues - justMongo - 12-30-2014

Normally you derate a supply. If you need 5 Amps; you use a PSU with greater capacity.
Surferdude2 is right -- 90% chance you fried the supply.
.... .. .... ..