Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
nose hurts - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: nose hurts (/Thread-nose-hurts)

Pages: 1 2

nose hurts - cookie810 - 01-11-2015

ok, second day- according to my air, my fit is good-I have the small mask that just goes over the nose=
the bottom of my nose is killing me-like I had a cold and swiped tissues over it over and over-
I am thinking maybe I should try the nasal pillow??
what say you?

RE: nose hurts - PollCat - 01-11-2015

You won't know what works best for you until you've tried all types of masks. On me the pillows work best - mainly because I've refused to shave off my mustache and beard. oldman

RE: nose hurts - herbm - 01-11-2015

Lanolin paste/cream can help with the irritation. Order from Amazon or buy in local pharmacy.

Many of us had irritation, especially in the beginning or when trying a new mask type.

RE: nose hurts - trish6hundred - 01-11-2015

Hi cookie810,
Sometimes you have to try several masks 'til you find the right one for you, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones.
Good luck to you.

RE: nose hurts - Mr. Van Winkle - 01-11-2015

Hi Cookie,
I used the same mask you have Resmed N10, I also had tenderness under the nose, I also was always adjusting to keep it from leaking, the air vents were noisy, and on occasion I felt like the mask wouldn't vent well on exhale, I did like how well it fit and the magnet holders. Anyway I changed my mask to a F&P Eson nasal mask and for me it was night a day difference (Comfort all the way) , I really don't know how they could make one nicer than that. Eson is nose spelled backwards Smile.
My DME had no problems switching my mask out, very understanding after all it's all about getting a good nights sleep!
Good LuckWink

RE: nose hurts - Sleeprider - 01-11-2015

Absolutely. If you tolerate nasal therapy , I don't get the nasal mask at all. I was started on on in 2008 and quickly changed to the Mirage MX, LT and now the Airfit P10. They are the lightest, most leak resistant interface you can use, an the Airfit is silent and has no exhaust stream to bother you or your partner. Get it.

RE: nose hurts - Ghost1958 - 01-12-2015

+1 for the Eson. In nasal masks there is no more comfortable and leak free nasal mask. Never tried pillows because of nasal polyps and not sure if they will work until I get the polyps removed. Again.

But the Eson fits loosely, seals well, light and comfortable.

RE: nose hurts - novatom - 01-12-2015

I've only tried one other mask and that was a full face mask at my titration. The clinic outfitted me with the Nuance nasal pillows and I've just completed my second week of CPAP therapy and have no problems with them. It took a little getting use to the plastic odor, but it's been tolerable.

RE: nose hurts - Dimsumdoll - 01-13-2015

1. Loosen the strap that goes over the top of your head so that the bottom of the mask rests on your upper lip.
2. If you are using a humidifier, lower the humidity level.
3. Put some Blistex or lip balm on your outer nostrils to heal the chapping. The Blistex will sting for a minute but I think it heals the fastest. Do this in the morning so you don't get it on your mask.

Good luck.

RE: nose hurts - retired_guy - 01-13-2015

Hi Cookie. Ya got some good advice already. I would agree that you might do well to switch to the Resmed P10 or an equivalent pillows mask. I'm a big fan of the P10. One thing to keep in mind with the P10 is to experiment a little with the pillows size. For instance, you might think you're a "medium" but with the P10 you might discover the "large" works best. I can do a medium or a large, but prefer the large.

But regardless of whether you switch masks or not, pick up a tube of HPA Lanolin from the baby department in your local drug store. Apply just a tiny bit of it to your nostrils and upper lip before you mask up. (Do not use it according to the directions on the box as I have found that to not be effective)

Good luck, keep us posted as to how you're doing.