Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] I need help with picking a mask. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] I need help with picking a mask. (/Thread-Equipment-I-need-help-with-picking-a-mask)

Pages: 1 2

I need help with picking a mask. - LevelMarc - 01-12-2015

I've only been using a APAP for 16 days. I feel like I sleep better but still wake up tired and can go back to sleep at the drop of a hat or in my case my head. Smile

The machines a rental. It's a REMstar Auto A-Flex with heated humidifier. Currently I'm using a ResMed AirFit P10 air pillow. I have sinus problems with the left side of my head. I had surgery on the right. This mask works fine, sometimes, if I can get it lined up correctly but often because of the congestion that's difficult. It is also very comfortable. I've tried to get up several times and have forgotten that I'm wearing it. I caught myself breath through my mouth last night with the chin strap on.

I'm thinking of a full face mask. Is that where I need to be looking? I'm looking at a Respironics Amara Gel Full Face Mask and Headgear but these are pricey but a good night sleep will be worth it.

Thanks

Marc

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - AshSF - 01-12-2015

You should try one of the latest generation of masks. They use better materials, have less parts, and are lighter in weight.

The 3 that I know of, are:
1) Resmed AirFit F10
2) Resmed Quattro Air
3) Fisher & Paykel Simplus.

I will let others chime in with their opinions. I am sure there are a lot of people who swear by older generation masks because they made it work for them (by lots of trial and error). Once you have figured out a mask, you are generally reluctant to change.

Another thing: you mentioned you have a Remstar Auto Aflex on rental. Is it a 60 series machine? if it is not, I suggest you get a 60 series machine. Its the latest generation.

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - LevelMarc - 01-12-2015

I found a new DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto CPAP with Humidifier (DV54D-HH-S) on Craigslist for $300.00. I should have mentioned I'm doing this out of pocket since it doesn't come close to meeting my deductible.

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - trish6hundred - 01-12-2015

Hi LevelMarc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might check out this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_Choices . There is very helpful information on which machine to buy and which ones to avoid.
Edit: As far as masks go, they are such an individual thing; what I may like, you may hate.
They are a trial and error thing, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding the mask that works right for you. End edit.

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - me50 - 01-12-2015

Not sure what chin strap you are using but you could try another one. Not all chin straps are created equal. Not all masks of any type are created equal. I absolutely could not use the Amara Gel....I actually despised it. I am sure that a lot of people like it a lot. Masks are so individual. I have seen chin straps that were so flimsy that I couldn't see how it would help anyone (when my DME sent me the wrong chin strap).

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - LevelMarc - 01-12-2015

I'm not use to trial and error in the world of medicine. Smile I need to think outside of my box. I changed from the small pillow to the medium and it made a big difference. I's much easier to get it to seal the nostrils and no leakage regardless of how I lie. It also lowered the air pressure which make sense.

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - Ghost1958 - 01-12-2015

Save your money on the Amara. Had one, wife tried it also. Gave it away to a friend that is out of pocket also on his and he uses it put it leaks like a sieve.

FFM, F&P simplus. Loose fit, seals well. comfortable. Wife healed a bloody sore on her nose caused by a mirage in one night while using a Simplus every night. Doesnt get much better than that.

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - PaytonA - 01-13-2015

(01-12-2015, 10:21 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Save your money on the Amara. Had one, wife tried it also. Gave it away to a friend that is out of pocket also on his and he uses it put it leaks like a sieve.

FFM, F&P simplus. Loose fit, seals well. comfortable. Wife healed a bloody sore on her nose caused by a mirage in one night while using a Simplus every night. Doesnt get much better than that.

Ghost,

Thanks to your reportage of the Simplus and words from others, I just ordered one to give it a try. I hope it works as well for me as it does for you but if not, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - brianwood619 - 01-14-2015

I never could use a nasal mask. Have been a full face mask wearer since starting. I just a few weeks ago switched from the Fischer and paykel simplistic mask to the resmed Airfit F10. It's lighter, and I like that now I dont have a forehead strap....so far so good I like it a lot.

When I tried nasal masks I could never find something comfortable. Full face masks are great because regardless of nose breathing on your side or mouth breathing on your back, your covered without interruption of sleep due to escaping air out of your mouth

RE: I need help with picking a mask. - LevelMarc - 01-16-2015

I've noticed this a couple of times especially last night. When the APAP is at it's working pressure air is escaping out of my mouth. Am I correct in thinking that a full face mask is the way I need to go?