Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Questions on nasal pillows - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Questions on nasal pillows (/Thread-Questions-on-nasal-pillows)

Questions on nasal pillows - car54 - 01-15-2015

I have been successfully treated for apnea for a year now. A lot of learning and tweaking was involved and help from this forum. Thanks much!

I am considering trying a nasal pillow. My only experience was a few days with a Resmed Airfit P10. The main reason I did not like it was because I felt like I was not in control of my breathing. At times I felt like I was suffocating. It felt like the air was being rammed in and exhaling seemed to be very difficult. I do not believe that I had the exhalation pressure relief turned on. I am now using this with my face mask with good results.

Do I use the same pressure for the nasal mask that I am using for my face mask?

I do have daily nasal congestion and with my current mask it seems to decrease once I start my therapy

I am looking at using the Pilairo Q.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

RE: Questions on nasal pillows - retired_guy - 01-15-2015

Brad, one of the secrets in using the P10 is to go one pillow size larger than what you think will work. For instance if you used the medium, try the large.

Other than that, yes exhale pressure relief will help too.

I have found that since using the P10, I never have occasion to be concerned with nasal congestion. Even if I think I can't breath well through my nose because of a cold, I find that with the pillows system I can and it actually helps me get through the miserableness of the cold.

If you try the pillows again, leave your pressure settings where they are to begin with. Then check in daily with Mr. Sleepyhead to see what your results tell you, and whether or not you should might small adjustments up or down.

RE: Questions on nasal pillows - PaulaO2 - 01-16-2015

The Pilario is well liked although a lot of users report sore nostrils and even sores inside the nostrils.

The Nuance is a good mask. Minimalistic. Nice headgear.

Check out the Review Forum and go through some of the reviews for other nasal pillows.

Like you, I didn't like the P10 for a wide array of reasons. But one thing to try is to increase the exhale pressure relief on your machine. Some nasal pillows, especially the P10, seem to need more help than others.

RE: Questions on nasal pillows - Eurika - 01-16-2015

Hi I just wanted to agree with Paula. I have all three nasal pillows and have been on therapy since October last year, after just spending a month traveling I only took the P10 with me and it has now become the pillow of choice.

RE: Questions on nasal pillows - Marnid2014 - 01-17-2015

I use the P10 as well and like it, however I had to do some "surgery" on the headgear to stop the leaks. I added a Velcro strap to the back of it to make it more secure. Now my leaks are extremely minimal.

RE: Questions on nasal pillows - Crimson Nape - 01-17-2015

I'm normally a P10 user but after seeing posts about the Nuance I gave it a try, I have to say it is nice. The headgear is soft on the sides, as opposed to the P10's hard side supports, and doesn't displace the mask when I'm on my side. While it employes a different design for nasal sealing, it is good and comfortable.