Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? (/Thread-S9-AutoSet-Faulty-Machine-OR-Operator-Faulty)

Pages: 1 2

S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - RogerS - 01-22-2015

When I have to get up in the night I press the machine stop/start button and disconnect the tubing at the mask, the machine then blows out a 5-10sec blast of air and switches off. I think this is the recommended procedure and so far so good. When I return I push the button (ON) again and it lights up and says "Treatment". Two things happen first it appears to go back to Ramp mode (expected?) and second it fills my mask with air but does nor respond to my breathing in/out cycle at all. It feels like a lowish pressure of air is being constantly delivered to the mask in a continuous flow.

I have two questions, first I think I know the answer to anyway. If I want to avoid the machine going back to Ramp when I return to bed I am thinking I should just disconnect the tube (and not switch off).

The more important question is why is my machine not restarting with its usual breath in/out air delivery mode?

thanks Roger

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - Crimson Nape - 01-22-2015

Welcome to the forum.

Based on you description it sounds like you have the S9 in the Autostart mode. The S9's manual states that the Autostart feature won't work (at least for starting it) with a full face mask. If you wish to use this option you will need to switch a nasal or pillows type of mask. The S9 will have a slight start ramp regardless of the Ramp option being on or off. The start ramp was designed to ease the patient up to their initial pressure so it won't be such a shock to the person's system. If you have the Ramp feature turned on, the S9 will always employ it whenever you start the machine. If you want to start the S9 without the Ramp, you will have to disable it prior to starting normal operation.

The S9 has a peculiar behavior that requires the the unit to be totally powered down (power cord removed) for a few minutes in order for certain features to be reset after a change. It is a hit and miss as to which feature. My advice is to power down after making any operational change. They seem to be center around things like Auto/Manual changes.

Good Luck!

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - trish6hundred - 01-22-2015

Hi RogerS,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions about your machine.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - RogerS - 01-22-2015

The S9's manual states that the Autostart feature won't work (at least for starting it) with a full face mask.

Thanks a lot sgearhart. I certainly hadn't noticed that. In fact I've just been over my manuals again and can't find that message. I guess what we are really talking about is called "smart start" and I have in "on".

If you have the Ramp feature turned on, the S9 will always employ it whenever you start the machine. OK that clears that one up for me.

The S9 has a peculiar behavior that requires the the unit to be totally powered down (power cord removed) for a few minutes in order for certain features to be reset after a change. It is a hit and miss as to which feature. Thanks for the tip, I shall watch out for that.

I shall try again tonight but not switch the unit off. thanks for your interest . . . Roger

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - retired_guy - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 11:04 AM)RogerS Wrote: The S9's manual states that the Autostart feature won't work (at least for starting it) with a full face mask.

Thanks a lot sgearhart. I certainly hadn't noticed that. In fact I've just been over my manuals again and can't find that message. I guess what we are really talking about is called "smart start" and I have in "on".

If you have the Ramp feature turned on, the S9 will always employ it whenever you start the machine. OK that clears that one up for me.

The S9 has a peculiar behavior that requires the the unit to be totally powered down (power cord removed) for a few minutes in order for certain features to be reset after a change. It is a hit and miss as to which feature. Thanks for the tip, I shall watch out for that.

I shall try again tonight but not switch the unit off. thanks for your interest . . . Roger

Yes, the "smartstart" feature is causing the symptoms you describe. Turn it off.

Do continue turning the machine off when you get up in the night, then back on when you go back to bed. If you leave it on the rush of air will blow the fur off of your kitty, which will cause her to jump up on the ceiling, lose her grip and fall on top of your wife. All of which will lead to extreme discomfort for you.

Either turn the ramp feature off, or modify it's settings. For instance it's common for the ramp to start at a pressure of 4. That's too low. Raise it to 6 and you'll be happier. Also if it's set to ramp up over a long period shorten it to something more consistent with what you need. Like 10 seconds for instance. Or maybe 5 or 10 minutes?

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - BigEars - 01-22-2015

Another plan might be to set the ramp time to a minimum say 5 minutes. So if you're using Cpap the pressure will return to the treatment level slowly.

I have this machine and use the start/stop button if I need to get up. I unclip my mask instead of doing what you do.

Good luck.

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - surferdude2 - 01-22-2015

(01-22-2015, 05:57 AM)RogerS Wrote: The more important question is why is my machine not restarting with its usual breath in/out air delivery mode?

thanks Roger

I suspect you are using and liking the EPR feature which reduces the expiratory pressure down based on how you have it set (1,2 or 3). The problem is that that feature doesn't work any time your pressure is at 4 cm H2O. The EPR will never lower the pressure below 4 cm H2o. If your ramp is starting you at 4 cm then that will explain why you feel that you are being subjected to a constant low pressure...because that's exactly what's happening.

Since you stated that your therapy was working well otherwise, why risk changing things that may affect it. I'd stop using the Auto Start feature and leave the flow generator running when you take the mask off. It does no harm and if triggering the ramp is giving you discomfort, let it blow. It won't have any effect on your therapy except to possibly eliminate some CAs that it could be causing during that uncomfortable period.

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - PsychoMike - 01-22-2015

Autostart can cause a few issues as it isn't perfect. I use it on mine for starting (and although the manual says it won't work for a FFM, I find it does just fine for me), but I turn off manually so I don't have to listen to it howl for 10 seconds after I disconnect.

I think surferdude is on the right track. If you use the ramp feature it's not like some other machines where you hit a button to engage it....it's on or not all the time. If you don't want it on when getting back after a bathroom run, you need it off all the time. It's an adjustment to begin with (getting to sleep initially), but I find it easier to adjust to with a FFM. I personally felt my pillows were getting blasted off my face with the ramp off when I started...gotten used to it. With a FFM or TFM, I don't feel it at all.

Having the ramp on would also explain the feeling of low pressure constant flow. Until it gets to [pressure - EPR = > 4 cm H20] then it won't kick in... i.e. if your EPR is set to 3, then it won't kick in again until you get up to 7 cm H20, or about 1/2 way through your ramp period.

Unfortunately, it's an either/or with the S9 on this one Sad

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - Regular Joe - 01-23-2015

I use a full face mask and autostart works just fine on my S9 with my AirFit F10. It also worked with my previous Quattro FX. It doesn't stop or start immediately, it takes a breath or two to start and will stop after a few seconds. I'd try to reset and check the setting again. I think PsycoMike has the answer.

RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ? - archangle - 01-23-2015

AutoStart vs. FFM on S9 varies with the version levels of hardware and software. On early models, setting FFM in the menu disabled autostart. It's also iffy, even when it's enabled with FFM. Some people find it works fine, some find it is iffy, some find it doesn't work. You can usually cover the anti-asphyxia vent with your hand and inhale and exhale a few times to make it work.

Turning the machine on and off with the button should work in all cases.