Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Traveling with FFM - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Traveling with FFM (/Thread-Traveling-with-FFM)

Pages: 1 2

Traveling with FFM - PaulaO2 - 01-24-2015

I recently had to take a plane trip on short notice. As I stood there, looking at the CPAP bag on the bed and the big Simplus in my hand, I had no clue what I was going to do with it. Our solution was to pack my Nuance in the CPAP bag and put the Simplus in the checked bag. I put it in a box then put it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothing. I figured if the Luggage Monkeys broke the Simplus, I'd have the Nuance as backup.

While I was away, it was too hectic for me to sit down and figure out a way to make the mask fit in the bag so when I finally got to come home, I just did the same thing.

I've always used nasal pillows and except for the Breeze, they all compacted down small enough to fit almost anywhere. And the Breeze fit nicely into the bag of my old S7 (rounded top). Heck, some of the newer nasal pillow masks can fit in a jacket pocket.

So how DO folks travel with the larger masks like the FFMs and some of the nasal masks?

RE: Traveling with FFM - DeepBreathing - 01-24-2015

I'm not familiar with the Simplus but I travel with the Quattro Air with no problems. I remove the swivel adapter and tuck that inside the mask, then sit the mask in with the hose (Climateline). The power brick also goes in with the hose, but the 240v cord goes in the external pocket of the bag. It all fits OK, and because I only ever handle it myself I'm not worried about the baggage gorillas damaging it.

RE: Traveling with FFM - Ghost1958 - 01-24-2015

Not sure what the carry bag for a resmed looks like but with my or the wifes PRS1 carry bags the full face will go into the bag with the hose machine humidifier etc. The only one that wouldnt we have had was the fitlife but its a total face. Close but no cigar on that one.

It might help if you take the cushion portion off the simplus and try packing frame and cushion in the bag separately since you can sort of position each piece as you need to into a nook or cranny of the bag.

Or you could just pull the cushion section off wrap it in a plastic bag and stick it in purse backpack or other carry on piece of luggage. LOL.

RE: Traveling with FFM - PaytonA - 01-24-2015

I have not traveled with my Simplus yet (have only had it for 3-4 days), but have traveled with my Mirage Quattro and my Resmed S9. I was able to squeeze it into the pocket with the power cords and hose. It bulged a little but traveled fine since I carry the S9 travel bag myself all the way. My S8 travel bag had even more room in it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Traveling with FFM - AshSF - 01-25-2015

I use a large camera bag (Case Logic SLRC-206). It fits my PRS1 60 series with humidifier at the bottom. And plenty of space up top for my F10 and heated tube and then some. And there are plenty of pockets to put the power supply and a power strip. And there is another padded compartment for a full size laptop which can be used to stuff other cpap stuff.

The bag is very heavily padded on all sides so I feel safe carrying my cpap stuff in it.

RE: Traveling with FFM - Regular Joe - 01-25-2015

I use the orange thingie that comes with the mask to keep it "open" and pack it in my carry on with my other stuff. It's always survived the flight.

RE: Traveling with FFM - cant_sleep_in_nj - 01-25-2015

I take off the swivel, pack the hose inside one of the shoes i packed to protect it. I also carry an extra swivel, strap and mask cushions to be safe

RE: Traveling with FFM - PaulaO2 - 01-25-2015

The ResMed S9 bag is rather tight. And the velcro on the big outside pocket is rather weak (I only keep filters and a business card there). I considered putting the hose there since it is bulky yet lightweight.

Yesterday I was surfing Supplier #26 site and found a PR bag that could also hold a laptop. It isn't big enough to hold my laptop but it could hold other medical equipment I have which would make my laptop bag lighter. Anyone use one of those? Go there and do a search for "Travel Briefcase".

I've also considered the camera bag option since they come with Velcro pads that can be moved around. Problem would be finding one just the right size. Put the mask and stuff on the bottom and the blower unit on the very top since it has to come out for TSA.

Like I said, it was a rush packing to go. And I was thinking before I burn more brain cells trying to figure out what to do for the next time, I'd just ask what others do. It does break down nicely. I just don't want it to BREAK.

RE: Traveling with FFM - surferdude2 - 01-25-2015

I must have a weird sense of humor. When I saw this thread the first image that came to mind was a person boarding a plane with the mask on their face. Dielaughing

Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever done that...

RE: Traveling with FFM - PaulaO2 - 01-25-2015

I did consider it the safest way to get it there in one piece!

But it was Christmas Eve, not All Hallows Eve, so I used a box instead.