Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Do You use an Oximeter? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Do You use an Oximeter? (/Thread-Do-You-use-an-Oximeter)

Do You use an Oximeter? - pk6301 - 04-23-2012

I have been thinking of purchasing an Oximeter to monitor my O2 levels, so I thought I would create this poll to see how many are using these.

If you do use one, do you monitor through the night ? Or do you just take a quick read in the morning?

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - Surly - 04-23-2012

I voted 'No, but plan to purchase'.

I recently ordered a Contec CMS50E direct from China. Australia Post attempted delivery today but was unsuccessful (i.e. nobody was here at home to sign for it), so I'll have to swing past my local depot on way home tomorrow and collect it.

I plan to use it through the night and hopefully import the data into SleepyHead. The SleepyHead help files indicate that CMS50E needs more testing, but I'm happy to do some testing.

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - greatunclebill - 04-23-2012

(04-23-2012, 06:00 AM)pk6301 Wrote: I have been thinking of purchasing an Oximeter to monitor my O2 levels, so I thought I would create this poll to see how many are using these.

If you do use one, do you monitor through the night ? Or do you just take a quick read in the morning?

dreamcatcher and i did product reviews on 2 affordable models that work in sleepyhead and independently in the product review section. you want to record all night to make sure your o2 is not dropping even with your cpap. a snapshot at any given time only shows o2 at that moment, not what happens all night when you are sleeping.

my personal story is that i bought an o2 monitor to check us out. we found that my wife's o2 was dropping even with cpap. we then had a professional test done thru the dme that confirmed my oximeter results and my wife got an o2 generator to use with cpap. in a sense this little $80 oximeter may have saved her life. her sleep study was done 2 yrs ago and there was no problem. if you're sitting on the fence about this, get one. there's a reason you're wondering about your o2.

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - greatunclebill - 04-23-2012

(04-23-2012, 07:10 AM)Surly Wrote: I voted 'No, but plan to purchase'.

I recently ordered a Contec CMS50E direct from China. Australia Post attempted delivery today but was unsuccessful (i.e. nobody was here at home to sign for it), so I'll have to swing past my local depot on way home tomorrow and collect it.

I plan to use it through the night and hopefully import the data into SleepyHead. The SleepyHead help files indicate that CMS50E needs more testing, but I'm happy to do some testing.

when you do use it, be sure to do a product review in the product review section. the more different reviews we have about different owimeters, the better informed options people have.

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - PaulaO2 - 04-23-2012

I used mine for the first ten days that I had it. It was interesting to see the data! It showed me

1. CPAP works
  2. I'm still having events but not that many
  3. when I do, my O2 drops quite a bit
  4. the mornings I wake up all twitchy is because I just had a low O2 event
  5. and a lot of the events happen within 2-3 hrs of me waking up

It's not something I would use every night, more like when I have several nights in a row of bad nights and I want to see what is going on. Probably also if I ever tried a new mask or new machine. And the next time I have a cold or whatever.

The CMS ones come with a software called SpO2 where you can view it live but since you'd be asleep (assuming you got it due to sleep apnea) so I don't think that would help much. I view the data through the SpO2 Review that also comes with the device.

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - Dreamcatcher - 04-23-2012

Yes, and if I have any probs its the first thing I reach for Cool

RE: Do You use an Oximeter? - Sleepster - 04-23-2012

I voted "No". I don't currently have plans to buy one, but it is something I'd consider in the future. Especially if SleepyHead ever gets out of beta.