Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Titration tonight any pointers? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Titration tonight any pointers? (/Thread-Titration-tonight-any-pointers)

Pages: 1 2

Titration tonight any pointers? - sumzzzs - 01-27-2015

I was on stand by for cancellation and they called me in, anybody have any pointers or advise? Anything I should make them aware of? Thanks

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - TyroneShoes - 01-27-2015

My largest issue was that the bed was so soft that my back started aching like crazy after about 90 minutes, and I was trapped there by a forest of wires. Take your own pillows.

If your sleep technician turns out to be a well-known 77-year-old stand-up comedian, don't fall asleep with him in the room.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - sumzzzs - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 08:46 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: My largest issue was that the bed was so soft that my back started aching like crazy after about 90 minutes, and I was trapped there by a forest of wires. Take your own pillows.

If your sleep technician turns out to be a well-known 77-year-old stand-up comedian, don't fall asleep with him in the room.

Lol, I get that. This is actually my second go at this and I'm already on CPAP, I can actually sleep with that stuff. I'm just seeing if I need to ask questions that otherwise won't get answered.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - TyroneShoes - 01-27-2015

I think it is safe to say that many questions that won't get answered by your sleep tech or sleep doc might actually be answered here. It's a good place to be. But that does not mean you should let them off the hook; I would continually pester them with every question you can think of. You are the patient, after all.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - me50 - 01-27-2015

There isn't much that the tech can or is supposed to tell you except how the sleep study works and what you need to do if you need to get up to pee, when you can expect the results, etc. I took my own pillows, blanket, water, something to read to help me fall asleep and a sleep aid just in case.

It is like when you go for a test your doc ordered, as an example, if you have to get a lung x-ray. The tech cannot tell you anything they see because they are not trained and qualified, according the medical practice laws, to read an x-ray. They probably can see unusual things as well as a radiologist but they are not allowed to tell a patient anything.

You don't say why you are having another sleep study so I am not sure what else to suggest to you other than try to sleep as much as you can. If you wake up, don't get up unless you absolutely have to and don't read, etc. Try to go right back to sleep. The rest and probably most of what I said you already know about if you have already had a sleep study. If not, you are in for a real treat.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - saltydawg2 - 01-27-2015

Ask for the mask....

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - justMongo - 01-27-2015

A good sleep tech stays awake and monitors you. Watching you SaO2 levels. They have cameras in the room; so be good!
It's for your protect; and so the tech can know if you're up. They can change pressures and monitor from outside the room; but may come in to try a different mask. If your SaO2 falls too low, O2 will be induced into the CPAP flow.

You won't get it tomorrow morning -- but do ask for the titration report.
When I got mine, I wondered why they picked the pressure they did.
Mine was a split-night study and they were running out of time.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - Mr. Van Winkle - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 09:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: A good sleep tech stays awake and monitors you. Watching you SaO2 levels. They have cameras in the room; so be good!
It's for your protect; and so the tech can know if you're up. They can change pressures and monitor from outside the room; but may come in to try a different mask. If your SaO2 falls too low, O2 will be induced into the CPAP flow.

You won't get it tomorrow morning -- but do ask for the titration report.
When I got mine, I wondered why they picked the pressure they did.
Mine was a split-night study and they were running out of time.

Yep, the tech could tell me anything except if I wake up in the morning with a mask on I'm a good candidate for cpap, oh ya I told her I hope I don't do anything stupid when there watching me she said don't worry she's seen it all.Dielaughing

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - trish6hundred - 01-27-2015

Hi sumzzzs,
I don't have any questions you should ask but good luck with the titration, I hope it goes well for you.

RE: Titration tonight any pointers? - TyroneShoes - 01-28-2015

(01-27-2015, 09:19 PM)me50 Wrote: There isn't much that the tech can or is supposed to tell you except how the sleep study works and what you need to do...

Actually, my sleep tech was very forthcoming. He had been doing this for 20 years (to support a family with 6 kids), so he had seen a lot, and knew a lot. I asked a lot of questions, and he answered probably all of them pretty thoroughly. He also turned me on to the P10.

A tech not telling someone how their cancer test went is a different situation altogether